Re: Fabricator trouble

by jpkarlsen

Original Post

Fabricator trouble

★★★ Guide

Ok, so 6 tries to fabricate a living chair, I'm giving up. First attempt, sim gets dyed. Second, machine breaks. Third, machine fights back. Fourth, dyed again. Fifth, machine breaks again. Sixth, machine want more fighting. Is the machine supposed to break that often?

I know my sim isn't very good at fabricating yet, only level 5 currently. But this is ridiculous! And very, very off-putting. I've never had so much trouble with any other sim when using that infernal machine! I should not have to try 6 times to create an object and STILL not actually manage to do it. Very frustrated right now, because I'm wasting the little money my sim has on dyes, because they will still be taken even if the crafting fails. Did notice the dyes came back after traveling, but I'm not going to travel between each attempt. Already wasted enough time on this, to be honest, with nothing to show for it.

Very grateful for any advice here! Or point me in the direction of a mod that could help, if you know of any.

Message 1 of 15 (4,029 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@Kathykins 

When you level up it will break far less. I recommend leveling up creating eco parts.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 2 of 15 (4,016 Views)

Champion

@Kathykins I haven't done lots of fabricating, but if memory serves I believe you can get the candle making machine and make lots of candles to get your skills up more for the fabrication tasks. Sell them and get some money back. Also, do any upgrades you can to the fabrication machine. Do simpler projects on the fabrication machine, also, to get skills up. There is some great advice plus there are tips in this Carl's Guide: https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/skills/ecolifestyle/fabrication/

SheriGR   I don’t work for EA.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png
Me Too – if you also have this problem | XP – for helpful comments
Message 3 of 15 (4,015 Views)

★★★ Guide
Thank you both Standard smile I will level up with Eco-parts for now, then. At least I won't waste too much time on those, or dyes. I do have the candle station too, but I don't know, it looks like the sims are bored out of their minds when waiting for the candles lol

Unfortunately, there are no upgrades on the fabricator, so I can't make it unbreakable or anything. Didn't the Juice fizzer also give fabrication skill, or is it only is own skill? I'll have a look at Carls site, maybe I can get some pointers and get back into it without ragequitting :D
Message 4 of 15 (4,009 Views)

Champion

@Kathykins Sounds like a good plan. I look forward to hearing your results.

SheriGR   I don’t work for EA.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png
Me Too – if you also have this problem | XP – for helpful comments
Message 5 of 15 (4,006 Views)

★★★★ Expert
@Kathykins The fabricator will break every 5th use. This is hard-coded into the game and won't change without a mod. (which I made one)

Levelling up your Fabrication skill will cause your sim to "fight" with it less often.

But breaking every 5th time, that won't change without a mod.
Message 6 of 15 (3,985 Views)

★★★ Expert

@Kathykins I agree with @jpkarlsen . I've had pretty good luck with fabricating Eco Upgrade parts. I normally use a Fabricator on a community space lot, not my residential lot, so I don't know if this makes any difference. I just did a quick test with my Eco Lifestyle Sim (Level 5 Fabrication skill): I went to a community maker space in Evergreen Harbor and before I started I replaced the Fabricator in Buy Mode just so I knew it was a new Fabricator. Then I started fabricating Eco Upgrade parts. It only took me 11 tries to make 10 parts. She got dunked in the tank on her fourth try but all of her other attempts were successful, no Fabricator breaking, no dye in the face, no getting dunked in the tank. This Sim has the Maker trait and I think this probably helps. If your Sim does not already have the Maker trait you could use cas.fulleditmode and change her traits in CAS & see if that improves her luck.

Lol she was there until after 3 am still fabricating Eco Upgrade parts xD

fabricator2.JPG

Message 7 of 15 (3,978 Views)

★★★ Guide
@RandomBuzziness Yes, my sim has the Maker trait, and when I thought about it, I didn't have nearly as much trouble with Knox Greenburg, and he doesn't have that trait. Don't think his fabricator broke more than a handful of times, and failed even less. Not sure if his Recycle trait would help him, though.

Also, I believe I was a tad bit tired when looking at my skills. My sim was only at level 3, not 5. I blame it on being late, since it was 1am here :D Anyway, gotten a couple levels, so hope I can switch to something more useful pretty soon (like the chair I was trying to make). I prefer to use other upgrade parts, since I can just buy those. Eco parts take too long to make, compared to their usefulness. In my opinion anyway. There are no real advantages to using Eco instead, the upgrade is the same.

I always use fabricator at home, so haven't tested fabricating at any maker space anywhere. I've turned off NPC voting and there are just too few lots where my sim lives (Sulani). I'm guessing its like the NAP's and I can only vote in the home neighbourhood.

Thanks for the input everyone Standard smile
Message 8 of 15 (3,966 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@Kathykins 

The only benefit of using eco parts is that it does not require a certain level of handiness.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 9 of 15 (3,958 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Expert

@Kathykins If you go into Manage Worlds you can change the default version of a Community Space to add a fabricator or anything else you like. I've completely remodeled the Community Space in Grims Quarry so that in its default setup it contains elements of the other three sub-assignments (community garden, marketplace, and maker space). This way I have access to things like planter boxes (indoor and outdoor), fabricators, vendors with market tables, recyclers, etc, without any voting requirements. It even has one of those food stalls with the yucky bug recipes that Sims seem to love (Sims are weird). You can find all sorts of pre-built versions of this type of Community Space in the Gallery if you're interested in something like this.

You can change all four sub-assignments while in Manage Worlds, but you are right you'd have to live in that neighborhood to be able to activate any of the other three sub-assignments through voting or cheats. In my builds it doesn't really matter which sub-assignment is active since I've made all four versions basically the same.

I agree, I would not want to put one on Sulani either-- it's too pretty and it doesn't have very many empty lots. I did put a community space in the Dachshund's Creek lot in Brindleton Bay. I gave it a bunch of holiday lanterns from the Holiday Celebration Pack and I change their colors depending on the season. I also gave it an outdoor fire for the winter months. It feels like an outdoor crafts fair. It has all of those same things in its default version (fabricator, planters, market tables + vendors, weird Sim townies munching on cricket popcorn, etc), plus it's a cat hang-out. :D

I created one more small community space in the empty 2nd floor of the Waterside Warble karaoke bar in San Myshuno. Since it's still a Karaoke Bar for its lot type it won't spawn vendors for market tables, but it works fine for things like fabricators, candle-making, juicers, etc. To me it felt like a nice addition to the Spice Market just outside the bar. The only downside of using this one is I have to listen to lots of awful singing coming from downstairs xD

Message 10 of 15 (3,941 Views)