Re: Doors are stuck in their previously-locked states

by JonaO703

Original Post

Doors are stuck in their previously-locked states

★★★ Novice

Hi there,

For the first time, I have encountered a weird and frustrating issue when trying to have my Sim enter her house. She refused to move and the lock symbol came up over her head. I unlocked the door many times to no avail. I toggled unlocking for the household and all of their pets, and nothing changed. It states that it's unlocked when it apparently isn't. Can someone please help me here? Other Sims in the household can't seem to get through, either.Thank you so much in advance.

Message 1 of 9 (734 Views)

Champion

@justdancerebecca Hello!  Have you tried replacing the door?  I recently had an issue with locked doors and was only able to resolve it by removing the door in BuildBuy mode and placing a new door.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Please help other players:
Add XP to posts you think are helpful.
Click Accept As Solution for posts that resolve your issue.
Happy Simming!

Message 2 of 9 (691 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

@JonaO703Thank you for the responseeee Standard smile Unfortunately, replacing it didn't work for me, I'm not sure why. Additionally, I tried other types of doors in the same spot as well in case it was caused by a certain type of door, but I still had the same problem. I have 2 other doors to the exterior that work to circumvent the issue temporarily and they're fine, but I continue to have the issue with any front door I set in that specific spot. *shrug*

Message 3 of 9 (668 Views)

Champion

@justdancerebecca Dang!  That is a strange issue.  After reviewing your original post, I wanted to clarify what you meant by the "lock symbol".  Did you mean this? 

RoutingFailure.png

Or are you seeing something different?

Also, I wondered if you made any changes to the lot near that specific spot.  Did you add any platforms by the spot where you place the door?  I'm just wondering if there could be something else preventing your sims from using that door.

I'd like to see if I can replicate the issue.  I tried a bunch of different ways to lock / unlock doors in my test save but I didn't have any issues.  Would you mind saving the lot and uploading it to the gallery?  Maybe name it something like Door Fail?

Happy Simming!

Message 4 of 9 (655 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

I know! Frown oh, to answer your question, actually no, the bubble has a picture of a padlock on it. The sim flails her arms around and shrugs; pretty much the same action as if there was a routing error. Here's what I'm greeted by when trying to get through the problem door:

Screen Shot 2021-08-04 at 9.13.42 PM.png

But yes, you make a good point, I've been thinking about that, too, but I don't have a platform at the entry. I used moveobjects quite a bit (particularly, a decorative wreath on the door itself, which never usually gives me any grief). I also did fiddle with the railing and spandrels on the front 'porch', but removing or changing the railing doesn't rectify it either Frown and of course haha, sounds good! I'll do that right now, I appreciate the help so so much. It's driving me crazy

Message 5 of 9 (645 Views)

@justdancerebecca

Do you think it's this issue? https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/Door-won-t-set-as-front-door/m-p/10546252#M192623 An easy test is to flip the lot around 180 and also try placing it on a different lot. Which lot is your house currently on?

Can't figure out if this is a simple routing issue based on the specific build and surrounding landscape off-lot or maybe a bugged lot, of which there seem to be a few in the game in different worlds.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 6 of 9 (630 Views)

Champion

@justdancerebecca Hmmm ... I've never seen that lock thing before.  I searched on it and found some threads talking about the lock.  I didn't see any "fix" but my take is they seem to suggest there was some object or part of the build that caused the issue.  I also tried placing a wreath on my sims' front door with MOO.  They walk right through with no problem.  I looked for your lot in the Gallery but didn't see it.  Let me know when you've uploaded it.  That is if you still don't mind me testing it. Otherwise, I second BlueBellFlora's suggestion to place the lot somewhere else or rotate it to see if you still have the issue.

Happy Simming!

Message 7 of 9 (616 Views)

★★★ Novice

Oops, I'm sorry! The lot is now under Door Fail on the Gallery Standard smile thank you so much, and I will also try that BlueBellFlora, i'll report back :D thanks again!

Message 8 of 9 (595 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@justdancerebecca No worries!  Thanks for sharing the lot.  I was able to replicate the issue, sort of.  I locked the other outside doors and my sims would not go through the front.  I didn't get the lock symbol but I did get the routing failure symbol.  So, I think the problem is the chandelier is too close to that front door. 

Here is my sim with the routing failure.

DoorFail1.png

I noticed that chandelier was hanging pretty low and really close to the door.  At first I put it in inventory and my sim went through without a problem.  Then I tried playing with the position.  I just moved it a tiny fraction toward the Winterfest tree and my sim went through!

DoorFail2.png

Try using the alt key to slide the chandelier back so the green positioning box corner meets this intersection of line and dotted line.

DoorFail3.png

I think I understand your aesthetic here and the importance of that chandelier, so I really hope this works for you!

Edit: There's one more thing I thought I should mention.  When the chandelier was in your original position, I did not get the "go here" option when clicking just inside the door.  Sims won't be able to go to or stand in the area just underneath the chandelier.  So you may see other routing issues in that general area.

Happy Simming!

Message 9 of 9 (572 Views)