Re: Discover university room mate system broken?

by PugLove888

Original Post

Discover university room mate system broken?

★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:Mac
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? The sims 4
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All of them
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Move a sim into dorm
What happens when the bug occurs? Sims are added to household and room mate system does not work or exist
What do you expect to see? The actual game working with all the features..
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Yes
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

so I downloaded university.. was so excited to play and I moved my sim into university housing just to find that the room mate system does not work and the sims were added into my household. UGH 

Message 1 of 15 (9,269 Views)

★★ Apprentice

This is not a bug. Depending on which dorm you move into, you will either be alone or moved into a household with other students. Either way, everyone else in the dorm is automatically considered your roommate and you won't be able to apply for any more roommates because the dorm is already full. The only time you can call on the phone to request a roommate is when you live off campus and have extra beds to fill.

Message 2 of 15 (9,256 Views)

Hero
@Trishaaalooo I'm moving this to General Discussion as it's not a bug as said.

Some of the dorms already have people living there (they are premades) and it's like you merge two households. Just remove them from your household if you don't want to play them or choose the other dorm.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 3 of 15 (9,233 Views)

Champion

@Trishaaalooo, what @desertrose0601  said is correct! Standard smile Just like in TS2 and TS3, dormmates are chosen by the game automatically, unless you move more than one into the dorm with your Sim or if there are Maxis-Made Sims already living there, like the 3 Sims shown at the top of this page. This is to mimic how in real-life your dormmates are assigned to you by student housing.  Applying for roommates off campus is a whole different system.  Wink

CCP Champion Banner - Red.png

Message 4 of 15 (9,226 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

My sim Lived in a dorm alone the whole time she  was at university. Is that normal? I thought there would be npc’s sims living in the dorm with her. I don’t seem to have the option in residential lots to ask her friend to be her roomate either. 

Message 5 of 15 (9,207 Views)

★★ Apprentice

@DopieDopeSim No that’s not normal. In my experience and from what I’ve seen in other people’s games as well, the dorms are auto-populated so should always be full to capacity with roommates. 

Message 6 of 15 (9,201 Views)

Champion

@DopieDopeSim, what @desertrose0601 said is true.  This isn't normal.Disappointed Dorms should spawn dormmates for your Sim, eventually filling the rooms within a few Sim hours.  I have yet to try the residential lot roommate system, so I can't tell you how that is supposed to work just yet. But something isn't working right in your dorm! 

Do you happen to play with any Mods or CC? Wondering If you do, please do the following:

1) Move the Mods Folder to your desktop

2) Delete localthumbcache.package file in the game folder.

3) Fix you game in Origin by logging in and go to Library, then right-click on The Sims 4 and choose the "Repair Game" option from the list.  Wait until Origin finishes repairing all your packs and not just the base game.

4) Now, when you turn on your game again, it will create a new mods folder that will be empty.  Check to see if your game is now working without mods/CC.

5) Now you can try adding back items from your Mods folder one at a time checking your game each time to see which item is causing your game to not work properly.  If you have a lot of items, you can try the 50/50 Method. 

The CC creators will usually update the CC items and Mods after these updates, so when you find out which one is the culprit, you can get the updated version from whoever made that item of CC in the first place.  You should try these steps anytime you have problems in your game to rule out CC/Mods problems.  It is the responsibility of the Mods/CC creators to update their items anytime EA releases a patch/update, and it is the responsibility of the people who use Mods/CC to make sure they are using the most recent version. 

Now, if this doesn't work, or if you don't use Mods/CC, there might be another problem with your game. Raised eyebrow  You could try a test save (new game on its own save file) and see if the same thing happens in the dorms in the new Save file.  Either way, please reply back to us with your results, so we can try to get your dorms working as they should! Angel

Message 7 of 15 (9,161 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

I want to add my two cents to this semi old topic as this happened to me too. I read in OP's post that he says that the sims were actually added to his household. That is not the same as having roommates, because roommates do not show up in your list of portrets, they are just there! When I enrolled my sim into university and chose the dorm with the Best Friends household, those two sims were also added to my household and were actually playable. I had to evict them to be able to move in to that dorm normally without getting unwanted bonus sims added to my household.

Edit: Added some screenshots:

Screenshot 1Screenshot 3

Message 8 of 15 (7,988 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@AlHollandiyah, in your case, this was by design.Wink  When you play a dorm or house that has Maxis-made Sims in it that come with the pack, you will automatically have control of these Sims.  This is like with the Base Game when you play the Goth house  -- you will automatically play with the Goth family unless you evict them and move in your own Sims.  The only difference with the dorms is that you can still move in your own Sims to be dormmates with the Maxis-made ones. You will either have to move out the Best Friends or just play along with them and any Sims you move into their dorm.  The same goes for the dorm at Foxbury where the Sim called Cameron Fletcher lives.  Standard smile  But the dorms at both universities that don't have a Maxis-Made Sim already living there will just have your Sim or Sims that you control and the remainder of dormmates will be generated at random by your game. Wink

So, this is not a bug and your game is working as intended ! 

Message 9 of 15 (7,949 Views)

★★ Guide

@PugLove888So if I understand it correctly, if Maxis Sims are in a dorm when you move in, you more or less get them as a free burden, but if you want your own sims in there with your university student that is not possible. Is that right?

Message 10 of 15 (7,914 Views)
sims-all-characters

Want more Sims?

Check out our Sims forums for tutorials and all things Sims.

View more

ts4-promo

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

ts4-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help