Desktop for Sims 4 on ultra settings

by victoriawoho

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Desktop for Sims 4 on ultra settings

★★★ Newbie

Hi, saw some others getting help with this and would like some help too. I play sims 4 on my 2013 MacBookPro with all expansions (except for a few stuff packs) and feel it’s time for an upgrade.

Purpose: Smoothly run The Sims 4 with all expansion packs, no CC or mods, on ultra high graphic settings (not sure if that’s the correct term - my game is in Swedish)

Budget: 5 000 - 10 000 SEK

I can’t build myself, but I can pay to get it done if it gets the overall price down.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Message 1 of 4 (1,265 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Desktop for Sims 4 on ultra settings

@victoriawoho  I took a look at the custom build site you linked and put together some reasonably-priced components that would work.  I picked the cheapest good quality hardware that would work, so these aren't the absolute highest level components in their categories, just ones that you can expect to perform exactly as intended.

I also didn't pick out a case, in part because it's a personal decision to some extent: you're the one who's going to be looking at it, not me.  But it would also be good to contact the store and double-check that the components all fit in the case, and swap it out for another one if they don't.  Decent cases start around 400 kr on this site.

So here's a list of the components I'd pick for your budget range:

This also doesn't include a monitor, keyboard, or mouse, so if you're trying to fit those into your budget, you'd be significantly over.

If you added a case, you'd come out to almost exactly 10 000 kr for the computer itself, even with the lower-end processor, 8 GB RAM, and a slower graphics card than the one in the Lenovo.  The tradeoff is that the parts would be higher quality, but whether that's worth the higher price tag is your call.  The only place you could save any significant money without compromising on quality is by finding a cheaper Windows 10 key (legitimate ones are out there) and installing Windows yourself.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 4 of 4 (1,153 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]

@victoriawoho  I doubt having someone build a custom PC would be cheaper than buying a prebuilt model from a store, although you'd have the advantage of getting precisely the components you wanted.  If there are stores in your area that you'd trust to build a gaming computer, feel free to link their websites, and I'll take a look.

In your price range however, I think you'd get better performance for your money with a prebuilt system.  The components inside one of these desktops would be cheaper but still good enough for their intended purpose, and it doesn't sound like you'd be overclocking or doing other activities that might push this kind of hardware past its limits.  The biggest effect you'll see on Sims 4 performance will be from the graphics card, and you can probably get a significantly faster card for a given price in a prebuilt computer.

As an example, this computer would run Sims 4, all packs included, on ultra graphics settings, now and almost certainly for the entire development of the game, probably with plenty of room to spare.  At 7 990 kr, you'd still have room to get a decent monitor.  It has a good processor, not overly strong but more than capable of handling Sims 4 and some reasonable multitasking while you play.

https://www.dustinhome.se/product/5011169089/ideacentre-t540

The only small drawback is the 8 GB RAM, which, while enough for the game, might not be if you like to have a number of apps or browser windows open while playing.  Still, you could upgrade the memory later if necessary without needing to do anything else.  RAM is the easiest component to install, and even if you didn't want to do it, a computer shop should be able to handle it for you in a few minutes.

I didn't see anything equal to this desktop for under 9 500 kr, although there are cheaper options that would do fine as well.  I admittedly didn't do a thorough search, since I'm not sure if there are other details I should be taking into account.

This is the cheapest I'd go, at 6 500 kr.  Its graphics card is probably fast enough to always run all Sims 4 packs together on ultra settings.  I say "probably" because we don't know how demanding future packs will be, but a desktop GTX 1650 will likely always be good enough for ultra settings, although maybe only barely.  This desktop also has only a small 256 GB hard drive, but that's enough for Sims 4 and all your user content plus whatever small apps like browsers you'd want to install.  You could also add a second hard drive later if you needed it.

https://www.power.se/datorer-och-gaming/datorer-och-bildskarmar/stationar-pc-och-mac/hp-tg01-0107no-...

There are plenty of other options, but not many without at least one component you might want to upgrade, unless you want to order from Germany or something.  If you're not interested in either of these two, let me know what other features you'd like to see, and I'll look again.

Message 2 of 4 (1,218 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thank you SO much for the quick reply and all the help. The custom building I was looking at was https://www.webhallen.com/se/campaign/6174-Webhallen-Config-Custom so if you want to check that out with all the necessary components for my request, I'd really appreciate that.

I probably will only run The Sims and have like one browser window open at the same time.

Thanks again, checking the pre-built ones out right now.

Message 3 of 4 (1,189 Views)

@victoriawoho  I took a look at the custom build site you linked and put together some reasonably-priced components that would work.  I picked the cheapest good quality hardware that would work, so these aren't the absolute highest level components in their categories, just ones that you can expect to perform exactly as intended.

I also didn't pick out a case, in part because it's a personal decision to some extent: you're the one who's going to be looking at it, not me.  But it would also be good to contact the store and double-check that the components all fit in the case, and swap it out for another one if they don't.  Decent cases start around 400 kr on this site.

So here's a list of the components I'd pick for your budget range:

This also doesn't include a monitor, keyboard, or mouse, so if you're trying to fit those into your budget, you'd be significantly over.

If you added a case, you'd come out to almost exactly 10 000 kr for the computer itself, even with the lower-end processor, 8 GB RAM, and a slower graphics card than the one in the Lenovo.  The tradeoff is that the parts would be higher quality, but whether that's worth the higher price tag is your call.  The only place you could save any significant money without compromising on quality is by finding a cheaper Windows 10 key (legitimate ones are out there) and installing Windows yourself.

Message 4 of 4 (1,154 Views)