Re: Description contains a disallowed word

by PugLove888

Original Post

Description contains a disallowed word

★ Guide

It would be really helpful if we could get some useful assistance when the gallery flags a description due to a "Disallowed" word, perhaps by highlighting it.

It is extremely frustrating to be unable to pinpoint what the problem is when none of the words used could be considered to be inappropriate.

This has been ongoing and really needs some attention.

Thank you for considering.

Message 1 of 15 (1,322 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@MenaBuchner That sounds like a great suggestion! You've got my 'me too' and 'XP'! 

Tip: Just in case it's of any use to you, I thought I'd share a method of troubleshooting for the 'disallowed word' that I've used. 

Problem is that sometimes it's a flagged term that's a 'naughty' term in other cultures, or there's some other reason that makes no sense to us. So...
If you put the whole description in a text editor and add one word or phrase at a time and try to save until you find the word that triggered the 'disallowed word' warning.       

SheriGR   I don’t work for EA.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png
Me Too – if you also have this problem | XP – for helpful comments
Message 2 of 15 (1,272 Views)

★ Guide
@SheriGR I did do that but was left with nothing that made sense to be uploaded to the gallery. Lol 😂
Message 3 of 15 (1,212 Views)

Champion

@MenaBuchnerand @SheriGR  I agree and also clicked "Me too".  I have talked to people who couldn't even upload Sims with their own real life last name! Oops But @SheriGR is right in that you never know what word is offensive in another language or country. There are even problems with some terms within the same language !  For example, there are some English terms that are fine to use in the United States, but not in Great Britain. Raised eyebrowLarge smile

CCP Champion Banner - Red.png

Message 4 of 15 (1,203 Views)

★ Guide
@PugLove888 Agree, that is a bit crazy, but that's where I believe the home language should come in (and there is a British English & American English setting, even a South African English!). We cannot know a word is offensive or unacceptable in say, French if we're not French-speaking or even writing the description in French. I believe it should be intuitive enough to firstly consider the language setting being used, and then foreign words (other languages) and then highlighting the 'offensive' word.
Message 5 of 15 (1,188 Views)
Highlighted

Champion

@MenaBuchner, you bring up some good points.  But I think part of the problem also comes from slang words.  There are people of all ages who play the Sims, and even if you only take into consideration players from the U.S. over all the decades represented, there are a lot of slang words and phrases that are probably taken into consideration.  There are also regional differences to take into consideration as well! Raised eyebrow

But I'm just explaining why it probably is the way it is.  I do think that some of the disallowed words should be allowed , especially if they are in familiar names or concepts. I've seen some pretty ridiculous things that were disallowed! Large smile

Message 6 of 15 (1,167 Views)

★ Guide
@PugLove888 Oh totally, it really is more complex than maybe we are imagining, for sure! It would just be nice to have some way of identifying the offending word or phrase. Whether we agree with it or not, even. Just so we know where to correct and use alternative words.

I really appreciate you all engaging with me on this. ☺🤗
Message 7 of 15 (1,161 Views)

Champion

@MenaBuchner, yes totally! I can't figure out what the censor didn't like in your text! Raised eyebrowWonderingLarge smile  You can't correct your mistake if you don't know what it is!

Message 8 of 15 (1,152 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@MenaBuchner I typed this (below) into a description and cannot get the warning to come up. I have a few questions/thoughts.

• Is it a Household, Lot, or Room?
  • What is the name of the Household/Lot/Room you are uploading?
  • I tried pasting it into a Lot, a Room, and a Household. Which are you using?
  • I don't see the box I see in yours with "mod", so I'm wondering what makes that box appear (I don't use Mods/CC)?
  • I didn't actually save to the gallery, just in my library. 
    Does the warning come while saving in your library or when you actually click the cloud to upload to the gallery?

This is what I was trying in the description:

Create 2 households, male & female Upload to the gallery by 13th Feb #NoCC Use #LoveMatchMB #ValentinesDay #GalleryChallenge From other entries, select a #LoveInterest for either 1 of your Sims (or both!) & make a match. Post your #LoveMatchMB on Twitter (Tag me!) & the gallery (give full credit to the creator of your partner!) on the 14th Feb, stating why they make a good #LoveMatchMB & let's celebrate this February!

Is yours exactly the same? Can you paste your description in a reply so I can try it exactly as-is?

Something I was going to experiment with was to remove duplicate tags, in case the system is flagging duplicate identical tags as spamming (especially #LoveMatchMB, since it's there 3 times).

SheriGR   I don’t work for EA.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png
Me Too – if you also have this problem | XP – for helpful comments
Message 9 of 15 (1,139 Views)

★ Guide
@SheriGR Hi Sheri, this was my original description:
#LoveMatchMB #ValentinesDay #GalleryChallenge Create 2 separate households, male & female Upload to the gallery by 13th Feb #NoCC Use #LoveMatchMB #ValentinesDay #GalleryChallenge From other entries, select a partner for either 1 of your Sims (or pair both!) & make a LoveMatch. Post your #LoveMatchMB on Twitter (Tag me!) & the gallery (giving full credit to the creator of your partner!) on the 14th Feb, stating why they make a good #LoveMatchMB & let’s celebrate love this February!
• Is it a Household, Lot, or Room? Household
• What is the name of the Household/Lot/Room you are uploading? LoveMatch~ValentinesDay
• I tried pasting it into a Lot, a Room, and a Household. Which are you using? Household
• I don't see the box I see in yours with "mod", so I'm wondering what makes that box appear (I don't use Mods/CC)? I do use CC & Mods, but none were used in this household, which is why the box was there, but not “ticked”.
• I didn't actually save to the gallery, just in my library.
Does the warning come while saving in your library or when you actually click the cloud to upload to the gallery? The error occurred when both saving to my library and when trying to upload it.

I did remove the duplicates, then the “#”, then separated the words that were joined, then removed the words altogether! To no avail, Lol.
Hope this helps.
Message 10 of 15 (1,131 Views)