Custom Build for TS4 - What are the best specs for maximum performance?

by jenjane

Original Post

Re: Custom Build for TS4 - What are the best specs for maximum performance?

★★★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict Ok, got it! Thank you for explaining, this is massively helpful. I will make sure to go for an IPS monitor that does the graphics card justice.

I really cannot say thank you enough. I am trying my best to do research, but it feels like there's so many things to take into consideration and I don't want to miss anything - having someone to ask these questions to is great.

I had a day off work and spent the majority of it researching the parts you recommended, and I am putting together a build on NewEgg. This led me to come up with several other questions. I really hope it's ok that I am asking so many questions, if this is getting too time consuming or you are unable to reply please do not feel obligated. You have already helped immensely. 

I should've mentioned this before, but I am really in love with the look of RGB. If I want to incorporate RGB, would it be best to do so by switching the fans? Instead of this one https://www.newegg.ca/fractal-design-liquid-cooling-system/p/N82E16835352030?Description=Fractal%20D..., could I use this one: https://www.newegg.ca/fractal-design-liquid-cooling-system-celsius/p/N82E16835352070? Or is there a better RGB fan option?

I've also spent the better part of the evening looking through cases (which is really overwhelming - there are so many options). I see some of the cases have three RGB fans included. This may be a silly question, but if I get a case with RGB fans in it already, do I need to buy the other fans? Or would you recommend avoiding a case with RGB fans included?

I am struggling to determine which case would be best. I really like the look of the white, I also would like 2 USB ports. Is there a brand or a specific case you would recommend? I looked through a lot of them and see people mentioning some factors that I will need to keep in mind - wire management, fan cooling capabilities, ease of build. Here are a couple that I liked:

my favourite so far - https://www.newegg.ca/white-corsair-icue-5000x-rgb-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811139165

https://www.newegg.ca/p/N82E16811353194?Item=N82E16811353194

One more question that may be silly, but if I can find a Nviida RTX 3060 ti, would that be compatible with the other parts you recommended? I couldn't find it on NewEgg in order to double check.

Again, please do not feel pressured to continue to reply if you're unable. I've taken up a lot of your time already!

Message 11 of 23 (845 Views)

@jenjane  More questions are fine, although RGB is not a subject I've spend a lot of time learning about.  It does tie in with the case though, so it's best to consider both at the same time.

First of all, I don't think the airflow is very good in the second case you linked.  The first one is great: the difference is that it can draw air through the front panel and expel it through one of the side panels or vice versa; the first one has a much smaller opening in the front and only the small back panel fan for exhaust.  Check the photos on Newegg and you'll see.  The point is, in the first case, you could mount a 3-fan radiator on either the front or side panel, put three fans spinning in the opposite direction in the other, and get excellent airflow.  There are other cases that have similar layouts, but it's hard to search for them: you really need to check the photos and sometimes even look up the dimensions.

Once you have a case in mind, you can plan where to put your RGB.  Taking the example of the first case you linked, if you're mounting the radiator on the side panel (facing towards you as you look at the components), then you probably do want it to have RGB.  If you mount it on the front panel, you may not notice RGB facing into the case, depending on the angle at which you'd place the computer.  Many cases also come with RGB fan covers, basically grills that light up that you'd put on the front panel over the fans or radiator, and if you had those, you wouldn't need RGB fans facing out on the front panel.

Additionally, the fans that come with a radiator are more efficient than standard case fans.  So while you could swap out the radiator fans, it's better not to, or at least to get (more expensive) replacement fans designed to go over a radiator.  At that point, you might as well go with an RGB-ready radiator.  If you want other options, Corsair makes excellent AIO (all-in-one) coolers too.  I didn't pick any of them because the Fractal Design model is just as good and a lot cheaper without RGB.

Point is, you should choose your case, then where you want the radiator to go, and then you'll know whether you need its fans to have RGB.  With the RGB models, you'll likely also get some lighting on the pump that sits over the CPU.

If you want a tricked-out system, you can also get RGB memory.  In that case, decide whether you want two or four sticks: people typically get two, but four should be perfectly stable, and 4x8 GB is not much more expensive than 2x16.  If you let me know what you want, I'll double-check the compatibility with your motherboard: most quality RAM should be supported, but it's always better to check first.  And RGB RAM is not that expensive either compared to non-RGB options.

Most graphics cards have RGB, and most quality motherboards do too, but I can double back and check those as well.

Finally, yes, a 3060 ti would fit perfectly inside this build.  If you did manage to get your hands on one, you could probably sell the 6700XT "open box" for MSRP to someone local.  But please don't pay scalper prices—it's not worth the cost, and scalpers suck.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 12 of 23 (827 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict Hi again, I'm sorry that I'm a week late in getting back to you. Personal life and work got in the way this week, and I've just gotten the time to finally sit down and resume this research! First of all, thank you for explaining why one of the cases is better than the other, the point about airflow makes a lot of sense and I will keep this in mind when looking at other cases and making a final decision. Thank you also for explaining that I could mount multiple fans, I didn't really consider that. It makes sense that the ones sold separately would be more efficient than the stock ones that come with cases. As for RGB, I will explore this topic further. I know it's not a necessity, and it's probably the least important part of the build anyways, just something I figured I may as well include if I am really making this my dream computer. With that in mind, the grill covers sound like a great idea! Thanks for explaining about the other RGB parts. I will try not to go overboard and stick with the RGB case and fans. I really can't wait to dive back into this project this weekend! My sister's boyfriend has offered to help me with putting together the computer - apparently he has experience with this. So I am seriously considering this route. Is there anything that you would seriously caution against if I did go this route? There is absolutely no rush to reply. Once again, sorry for my delay!

Message 13 of 23 (795 Views)

@jenjane  I guess it depends on how much experience your sister's boyfriend has.  If he's built a computer from scratch, not just upgraded one but started with separate components, then the two of you building it together would be great, probably better than ordering a custom build from Newegg or anywhere else.  Even though the build itself wouldn't be under warranty, the parts would be, and it's actually pretty hard to break things during the build process if you know what you're doing.  And you yourself would learn a lot from the experience, probably enough to be comfortable upgrading a component or two when the time comes.  I don't know your sister's boyfriend, but you do, so use your best judgment.

Of course, if you're ordering the components separately, you'd need to find a graphics card somewhere.  The market has actually improved a lot since you first posted due to China banning crypto mining, so you might be able to get exactly the card you want for near MSRP, especially if you're patient.  I'd check inventory for you, but your best bet is probably visiting a physical store when it happens to have inventory... or maybe finding a seller on Craigslist who was trying to scalp cards and is worried about being left holding the bag, so to speak.  As long as the card is factory-sealed, you should be fine.

Just to clarify, the most efficient orientation of all is to have the fans that come with the AIO cooler mounted against the radiator.  Having them pulling air into the case is better than pushing out, but with a 3-fan radiator, you should be fine either way.  Case fans are more than good enough for the other locations, especially if your radiator fans are pulling air into the case and the case fans are pushing it out.  The key is to get maximum airflow through the radiator and enough fresh air into the case overall.

Message 14 of 23 (784 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict Thank you for your reassurance! I've confirmed that he has built before and is able to help me with that part, so I am definitely going to go that route. I actually didn't consider the warranty aspect, but I really do like the idea of being able to upgrade or replace a part myself when needed.

I'm really happy to hear that the prices have cooled, hopefully they're still reasonable since I know I am again delayed in replying, which I apologize for. I will be sure not to purchase from a scalper, thanks for the tip!

I'm still trying to figure out the case. I appreciate the note on how to best mount the fans. Once I actually get into the building of this I will update you on how it goes Standard smile I really appreciate all of the ongoing help and advice you've offered. I wouldn't have been able to do this without all of your help!

Message 15 of 23 (745 Views)

@jenjane  Alright, let me know if you have any more questions.  I've definitely seen reports of Canadians walking into a Best Buy/Canada Computers/some other store and finding a good graphics card, so you might not have to work all that hard to find one.  There's still some luck involved though.

Message 16 of 23 (732 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I spoke with an associate from Best Buy and they gave me advice on how to get the graphics card, so I'm going to be patient and see if I have any luck. In the meantime, I'm hoping to pick your brain again if that's alright.

I've decided on the Corsair 5000D Airflow Tempered Glass case (thanks for backing this choice in a previous post, that was really helpful!). It looks like it comes with two fans (one on the back, one on the front). I looked through all of the review photos to try and understand how many fans I would need. I think I would leave the standard fan on the back, put the CPU cooler at the top if possible, and would add three RGB fans in the front (instead of just the one black fan). I’ve included picture examples for reference.

Based on the PC Builder (link to the build: https://newegg.io/e1c624b), it only shows me one CPU Cooler option, which isn’t RGB. Are there any other ones that you think would be compatible? If not I’m fine to go with the one the builder is recommending.

I did also want to ask if you would be able to recommend three RGB fans for the front? Again I know there’s one standard fan in the front that’s included, but I assume it’s not RGB so I’ll have to replace it.

Besides the graphics card, monitor/accessories, is there anything else the build is missing based on the New Egg list?

Thanks again for your endless help! Have a great weekend!

Message 17 of 23 (711 Views)

@jenjane  Are you in fact going to build everything yourself, or are you going to order most of the computer and install the graphics card and some extra fans?  If you're building yourself, you might as well order from different stores and get the best price.  The easiest way to price-compare is this:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/

You'll be able to see all the available options, sorted by whatever categories you want.  For example, I sorted CPU coolers to show Corsair or Fractal Design models with 360mm radiators:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/products/cpu-cooler/#m=11,106&W=10360&sort=price

That's obviously not many, but you can see the difference between one with only RGB on the pump that sits over the CPU vs. one that comes with RGB fans.  There are obviously plenty of other options for coolers; I just picked those brands because I already know they offer quality models without having to look up reviews.

Looking at the photo of the case, I'm not totally sure that a radiator and its fans would fit in a top mount.  If it does fit, fine, but be prepared to need to change your mind and mount at the front or on the side (the grill on the right) instead.

For the extra fans, you don't want the cheapest possible models, but you also don't need to worry about getting the absolute best (most efficient) option because most of the heat from the CPU will be dissipated by the radiator.  So pick a set that runs quiet, looks good to you, and doesn't cost too much.  They're all a standard size, except for the specialty thin ones, and should fit fine.

You don't really need more than three extra fans, but you might want them just for show.  Either way, the best airflow would be with front (and possibly side) intake fans and top and back outtake; if there's a mount for a fan on the bottom of the case, you could stick one there too as intake.  The advantage of having a front-mounted radiator with its fans on intake is that the air passing over the radiator is cooler than if the fans are on outtake, but with the processor you're getting and a quality 360mm radiator, it doesn't actually matter: the cooler will more than keep up with its load either way.

You can also play with the configurations of the fan and radiator if you want.  There's nothing that says you have to pick one answer and stick with it.

Message 18 of 23 (687 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict I've decided I'm going to try to build everything myself (with the help of my sister's boyfriend of course). My knowledge is still really basic, but I am enjoying learning. And, as we previously discussed, it would be great if I have the ability and knowledge to change parts in the future if needed.

PCpartpicker has been a fantastic resource, thanks for sharing! I was a bit unsure about it since at the beginning of my research I came across someone who said they did not use it, but I'm so glad you recommended it because it's really helping me to understand things further. It's definitely a great price comparison tool - I'm just making sure to select the parts from places that I am confident in purchasing from. I also really liked being able to look at other people's builds that were done in the same case (as well as their part lists), which helped me decide on the CPU cooler/fans.

I didn't venture away from any of the main components that you recommended, because the reviews are good and, although my knowledge is limited, from my understanding they seem like they'll offer strong performance and the ability for multitasking. Here is the PCPicker parts list based on your suggestions: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/2xPM9N. In order to choose the fans, I took inspiration from this build (I like the placement as well): https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/vVNqqs. It would be great if I could get your opinion on the fans/placement pictured here!

One thing I'm unsure about is the warning, "Warning!Some AMD X570 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Vermeer CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions." I tried to google what it means but I don't know enough to really understand the basics of what this message is saying, or if I need to switch something to be safe. Are you able to help explain this?

I haven't selected a monitor yet because I am going to take your advice and look at them in store. Once I've made my final decision on all the parts I plan to watch for any sale prices (may as well do that while I'm waiting to see if I can get the graphics card). I do worry slightly that if I purchase parts too far in advance and they're defective I'll be past the return timeframe, but I'll be sure to review the policies of the retailers. Right now I'm most comfortable with Best Buy, New Egg, and Canada Computers.

Message 19 of 23 (652 Views)

@jenjane  The build looks good.  Now that you're building though, you have more flexibility to choose exactly what you want, and you may want slightly different, perhaps slightly cheaper, components.  In my example of a custom Newegg build, I chose the cheapest quality options rather than the absolute best, because a) the absolute best is often twice or three times as expensive, and b) the performance improvement above a certain level is in the 2-3% range.  There's no point in buying an $800 motherboard just to squeeze every bit of performance out of your system—if you wanted to spend that kind of money, you'd upgrade the GPU instead for a much larger benefit.

The point is, you may want to choose other components, in particular the motherboard and RAM.  (Or I can look if you're still not sure what to choose.)  The important parts for the board are that you get an X570 model with an ATX form factor.  X570 is the best category in terms of build quality, included features, and support from the manufacturer.  ATX is basically the size and shape, and while smaller boards can work fine, it's easier to work with a larger board, which is important for your first build.

As far as RAM is concerned, a wise person once told me to pick a model from a quality manufacturer that was compatible with the board and wasn't too expensive.  It's relatively cheap to manufacture quality memory, and most of the good vendors offer lifetime warranties for a reason.  For compatibility, each board's specs page should list suitable RAM by part number, for example this is the board you've picked out:

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X570-GAMING-X-rev-10/support#support-doc

(The 5000-series models are Vermeer CPUs.)

On the other hand, maybe I'm making things overly complicated here, and if that's the case, feel free to ignore the above.

As for the BIOS update, on the same support page for your motherboard:

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X570-GAMING-X-rev-10/support#support-cpu

You'll see that the 5000-series CPUs are supported and have been since BIOS version F30.  The BIOS is basic software for your board, and manufacturers will release updated versions as new components are released and new features become available.  The X570 boards are older than the 5000-series CPUs, so of course their first BIOS revisions wouldn't support those processors.

Whether this is a problem for you depends on two factors.  One is whether you happen to get a board with a more recent BIOS version, which is impossible to tell from the website.  The other is that some boards allow you to flash a new BIOS without a processor installed, in which case you don't need to worry about compatibility because you can just install the new BIOS before the processor.  In case you want more info:

https://rog.asus.com/technology/republic-of-gamers-motherboard-innovations/usb-bios-flashback/

I don't think the Gigabyte board has that feature, although I'd have to check.  This is a common but not universal feature.  I didn't go over it before because a system integrator would take care of that for you along with the rest of the build process.

And just to be clear, if your BIOS doesn't support the CPU, the computer doesn't boot, just like that.  I've seen it happen.

Message 20 of 23 (643 Views)