Could not locate this item

by CharmB789

Original Post

Could not locate this item

★★★ Apprentice

I don't know what had happened and why it happened. I was adding a lot into Sulani from my gallery, then I made a few changes to the lot. I tried to save the new improved lot into my gallery but it didn't work for some reason whether I wanted to overwrite it or save it as new. I went back to look at my lot in the gallery and when I clicked on it, it said that it couldn't locate this item. I don't know why it suddenly didn't work all of the sudden. One minute it was working, the next minute it doesn't. 😱

I already tried repairing the game, shutting down the computer then turning it on again, and also moving all of my sims files. I really would hate to lose this lot for an unknown reason. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

Message 1 of 36 (960 Views)

Re: Could not locate this item

Champion

@CharmB789 Please have a look at this set of directions for saving your lot to your library and see if it helps: https://sherigr.com/tutorials/saving-lot-to-sims-4-library-gallery/

Also, can you please explain what you mean by "moving all of my sims files"? Thanks!

SheriGR   I don’t work for EA.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png
Me Too – if you also have this problem | XP – for helpful comments
Message 2 of 36 (918 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

I tried clicking the link but it doesn't work. Also when I mean by "moving all of my sims files", I moved The Sims 4 folder out of the Electronic Arts folder for a few minutes which is all from the Documents folder of my computer.

Message 3 of 36 (893 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@CharmB789 The link is external to the forum, so you may want to just copy it and paste it into a browser tab. When you moved your 'The Sims 4' folder out of your documents folder, did it create a whole new game with none of your saved content in it? Did you keep the 'The Sims 4' folder you moved out of the Documents folder? If you did you should be able to replace the new folder the game made in your Documents folder with your old 'The Sims 4' folder and they you should have your old content back. Please read about this and folders on this website: 

Message 4 of 36 (871 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

TBH, none of the links above really helped me with my problem. And I've already tried moving The Sims 4 folder out and then moving it back in after creating a new game. I'd still hate to lose one of my lots especially since I don't know why it happened all of the sudden.

Message 5 of 36 (851 Views)

Champion

@CharmB789 If you move your 'The Sims 4' folder out of your Electronic arts folder, the game will created a new 'The Sims 4' folder when it re-starts, but the game saves and anything you have in your library, etc., will not be in the game when you re-enter it, as all of those things live in the 'tray' and 'saves' folders... and if you removed your old folder, the new 'tray and 'saves' folder will not include anything you have played thus far (as explained at this link: https://sims4.crinrict.com/eng/2014/09/user-files-explained/). If you moved your old, original 'The Sims 4' folder back in you may want to delete the localthumbcache.package file in your “The Sims 4” folder in case you are not seeing the correct thumbnails in your library, etc., then re-start the game so it updates these thumbnails to correct ones.

Please be very careful to keep a copy of your original 'The Sims 4" folder as your backup when doing any of this, as it should have your tray and saves folder with your original game saves (the games you played) and your tray folder (your library, etc.).

Message 6 of 36 (841 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

I did what you said but it still doesn't help me with fixing my broken lot. I need some way to access it again without having it to say "Could not locate this item". I hate to start over again. Are there any other solutions?

Message 7 of 36 (831 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@CharmB789 You could try rolling back to a past game save on a date where you still had access. Directions for doing this can be found at this link: https://sims4.crinrict.com/eng/2014/09/save-games/

Message 8 of 36 (816 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@CharmB789 In addition to what I recommended trying in my comment right before this a short time ago - rolling back to a previous save via the methods described), I was hoping to ask a few additional clarification questions:

• Is there lot still saved somewhere in your game? If there is, can you please try saving that lot to your library?
  • If you're able to save the lot to your library, can you then please try placing that build on a different lot and see how that goes? 
  • Do you have a copy of the lot in any form - a current or previous version(s) - uploaded/shared/saved to the gallery (&/or to your library)?
  • Do you have a copy of the 'tray' and 'saves' folder from the 'The Sims 4' folder that you moved originally?

Message 9 of 36 (798 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

Unfortunately, I don't have the lot in a previous save, however, I do have the lot in another save file. The problem is that lot doesn't have any cc and it's not easy to remember where I had those previous cc put in the lot exactly. At the moment I have the broken lot with the cc and the lot with no cc in my gallery. They are both saved into my gallery only. And of course, they are in my tray folder. Placing the lot on another place is fine even though the lot is really meant for a beach. I only have one version of the trays and saves folder and it's currently in the Electronic Arts folder.

Message 10 of 36 (772 Views)