Re: Changing Keybindings in The Sims 4

by TheKingTV_YT

Original Post

★★★ Newbie

its not just shooters with WASD its LITTEALLY ANY GOOD GAME plus I bought it with steam and because of this stupid problem I can't use the stupid 1st person mode and that is quite important to me this makes no sense because what if someone's keys are broken or have another important job that can't be switched  Shocked Thumbs down

Message 31 of 81 (2,623 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
@supervioletrain Thank you so much! This helped me a lot
Message 32 of 81 (2,528 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Yeah, when I hit that one key that is at the top of my keyboard that always closes the entire game out especially when multiplayer, sucks, can't even keybind out of Alt+f4 unless they added that in without me noticing in World of Warcraft. My old laptop had a key that did nothing at all except shut any game i was playing down faster than I do manually. That was it. Was next to my Delete key. 

Could be worse, build mode could have a feature where you must save it before exiting out of it or it resets. But you lose nothing, just some irritation. 

I have never used keys in build mode. My one thing for Sims has always been to keep my hands and everything else OFF of the keyboard. 

On a serious note though, it sucks when your game gets shut off after spending a long and not yet complete session in CaS ^.^ That will get me to go find somewhere else to mind my business. 

Message 33 of 81 (2,276 Views)

★★★ Newbie

i want it for the commands seen in the bottom right coz the order makes no sense

Message 34 of 81 (2,155 Views)

★★ Novice

That is the worst take I've seen on the internet in... at least a week. That is REALLY BAD for you.

Message 35 of 81 (2,005 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

no one else has said it yet so i'm going to add: the "few keyboard commands" include keys that macbooks don't typically have!

i have switch between floors bc clicking the tiny buttons bc my computer doesnt have page up/page down buttons. more often than not i have pause my game when i change floors bc it takes so long that sims turn around and come back downstairs in the time it took bc they decided to make coffee instead of walking 4 tiles to their bed (🙄🙄)

and on a different train of thought: not being able to change keybindings is an accessibility issue.

a player with limited control over their hands may have difficulty clicking on small UI buttons for things and using hotkeys is easier for them than enlarging the UI.

someone who has problems with their left hand or fewer than five complete working fingers on each hand may find the WASD, 1230 (game speed), <> (rotation), 90[ ] (move objects), etc. difficult for their exact situation and if they play literally any. other. game. on the market (specifically simulation games, not just FPS), they likely have developed their own system bc every other game lets you rebind your keys and each player is the one most familiar with their own needs and play-style.

and regardless of whether you can think of another game that doesn't have this functionality, that doesn't make it okay. another game having the same problem is worse. that's just another inaccessible game.

Message 36 of 81 (1,990 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

I'd like to hop in on this too! I have an M1 macbook which doesn't have a numeric keyboard. I know from previously having one that I could use my "+" and "-" keys to go through swatches. Now, those buttons zoom in and out (in addition to Z and X also doing this). I'd love to rebind my keys so the plus and minus keys work as they originally used to. I also agree about the rotate buttons being so close to the travel button getting annoying. A lot of simtubers also accidentally click it during let's plays and challenges.

As for Q and E, if you're familiar with the cinematic camera accessed through the tab key, Q is to move the camera down, and E moves it up. I don't think any other keys do this. So I'd love the option to rebind the options that have more than one key assigned to them. For example, I don't need to zoom in with both Z and "+", and I don't need to pause with both P and 1.

I hope there's a chance for an update. It seems like the gurus are listening to us a bit more nowadays, but this thread is 3 years old so who knows...

Message 37 of 81 (1,955 Views)

★ Novice

It's me accidentally hitting F1 instead of ESC for the 35th time today, while I'm building, that has me feeling like this game is always waking up and choosing violence. 

Hoping I can hotkey my way OUT of this somehow now...if anyone knows of a way to help, let me know! 

Message 38 of 81 (1,830 Views)

★★ Pro

As @teennewt described, this really sucks from an accessibility point of view. EA do better!

Also because people have different keyboards (or operating systems), some hotkeys can be more difficult if not impossible to use. I have a Nordic keyboard and because I have letters å, ä, ö in my keyboard, some of the Build/Buy keys are in very awkward positions compared to what they are on an american keyboard layout. 

Message 39 of 81 (1,774 Views)
Highlighted

★★★ Newbie

Why not change that? It'd be an optional thing. You have so many buttons on your keyboard, why not making them usable? Currently you barely use the second hand and have to move a lot with the cursor. It'd make the game a lot more accessible, less annoying and fun to use, I don't understand why you'd be against that.

Message 40 of 81 (1,608 Views)
sims-all-characters

Want more Sims?

Check out our Sims forums for tutorials and all things Sims.

View more

ts4-promo

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

ts4-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help