by K_is_for_Khaos

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Can't add chairs - Don't fit slot size

★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
What is your current game version number? 1.55.105.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? None
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Adding chairs to a dining table or desk.
What happens when the bug occurs? I am unable to add chairs to slots on tables or desks. I get the error message "Object doesn't fit in the slot size".
What do you expect to see? Adding a chair so it can be used at a surface.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

When attempting to add a chair to a slot on a table or desk, I am unable to add chairs to the slot. I get the error message "Object doesn't fit in the slot size".

Message 1 of 9 (3,706 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Can't add chairs - Don't fit slot size

Champion (Retired)

@fuanonemus  That is definitely strange that the base game lots are impacted by this issue. 

Here is what I recommend.
Go to Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4

Rename The Sims 4 to The Sims 4.old to preserve your saves, tray, screenshots and mods folders/files.
Run Repair from Origin as described above.

Start the game without adding anything back as a test.
The game will automatically create fresh versions of all the folders/files.
If the game works correctly you will need to test your mods /custom content (CC) to see which they are causing the problem.
When adding/testing/deleting mods and/or cc it is important to delete the localthumbcache.package and any other cache files.
Using the 50/50 method is suggested to speed up the process.

Instructions are in the link below:
Troubleshooting tips
https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/READ-FIRST-Troubleshooting-your-Game/m-p/3621199

EQ Avid Sims Player
#EQCreations
I do not work for EA
All packs installed and patches are current.
PC / Win 10
Never used CC or mods.

EQ Avid Sims Player
I do not work for EA but I do volunteer at AnswersHQ to help others with their game issues.
EAGameChanger - The Sims 4 Gallery Creator
Gallery Tag: #EQCreations

View in thread

Message 6 of 9 (3,535 Views)

All Replies

★★ Guide

What chairs and which tables/desks are you trying to use together? I've noticed for small dining tables, you need to use barstools instead of dining chairs. For desks, desk chairs should all work.

Message 2 of 9 (3,683 Views)

Hero
@K_is_for_Khaos Moving this to general discussion as I think there's maybe a misunderstanding.

Please see @Bra1nBlast3d answer above

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 3 of 9 (3,648 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@K_is_for_Khaos - I agree with @Bra1nBlast3d  that it would be nice to know which tables/desks and chair combos you've tried. I don't ever have any issues adding dining chairs to small dining tables, though. You can fit 4 dining chairs around the 1-square dining tables with no problem, as long as there's enough room behind them for the slide-out animation. 

I tried quite a few combos, and I've not been able to get an "Object doesn't fit in the slot size" message regardless. I've even tried using living room chairs and benches, the only message I ever get if it doesn't work is "Can't intersect other objects".  This was tested on base game only with no mods/cc, never used. Is it possible that you have enabled a cheat that you forgot about? I don't use cheats very often, but maybe MOO changes the error messages you can get?

Try starting a new game, just as a test, and see if you get the same error message with the same furniture combos. Let us know what happens!

Message 4 of 9 (3,630 Views)

★★ Novice

I have this same issue. Basically any item that needs to be slotted for function, won't. Sinks won't slot to counters, chairs won't slot to desks or tables, computers won't slot to desks, etc. Item that just sit on surfaces for decoration or like radios, will slot just fine. It isn't just in build mode, when I try to download a room or a house from the gallery, items that would cause the slot error are removed, this also happens when my sims try to visit prebuilt lots, like libraries. My sim will visit the library and when it loads all the chairs slotted to tables and all the computers have been removed, so when I go back to the map the library lot is marked incomplete. I updated all my mods, and when that didn't work, I removed all my mods, that didn't work either. I even turned off custom content and scripts, and the issue persists. I haven't tried to open my saves, I noticed the problem when I began playing on a new game after not playing for like a week. I suspect the game updated and now there's the bug.

Message 5 of 9 (3,565 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@fuanonemus  That is definitely strange that the base game lots are impacted by this issue. 

Here is what I recommend.
Go to Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4

Rename The Sims 4 to The Sims 4.old to preserve your saves, tray, screenshots and mods folders/files.
Run Repair from Origin as described above.

Start the game without adding anything back as a test.
The game will automatically create fresh versions of all the folders/files.
If the game works correctly you will need to test your mods /custom content (CC) to see which they are causing the problem.
When adding/testing/deleting mods and/or cc it is important to delete the localthumbcache.package and any other cache files.
Using the 50/50 method is suggested to speed up the process.

Instructions are in the link below:
Troubleshooting tips
https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/READ-FIRST-Troubleshooting-your-Game/m-p/3621199

EQ Avid Sims Player
#EQCreations
I do not work for EA
All packs installed and patches are current.
PC / Win 10
Never used CC or mods.

EQ Avid Sims Player
I do not work for EA but I do volunteer at AnswersHQ to help others with their game issues.
Message 6 of 9 (3,536 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@fuanonemus @K_is_for_Khaos - I suggest you reset your games following the instructions here: https://sims4.crinrict.com/eng/2014/09/resetting-the-game-to-factory-settings-without-reinstalling/

If the error is fixed in a fresh game, be sure to put back your mods & cc one at a time, testing the game after each one is added.  If you have a lot of mods or cc, you can narrow it down with the 50/50 method. You will need to contact the creator if there are any issues. 

Let us know if this fixes your problem. 

Edit: seems @EuphorialQueen & I were answering at the same time. Great minds think alike Standard smile

Message 7 of 9 (3,534 Views)

★★ Novice
@EuphorialQueen @BlackjackWidow I reset and replaced my mods and this issue was fixed. Thanks
Message 8 of 9 (3,503 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@fuanonemusExcellent news! So happy it is fixed.

EQ

EQ Avid Sims Player
Message 9 of 9 (3,487 Views)