Can't add any pets from the gallery

by xXxCleverNamexXx

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Can't add any pets from the gallery

★★★ Novice

I just purchased Pets last night for the sole purpose of being able to download all the amazing pets I see posted in the gallery. This morning I found that I can't add any pets from the gallery no matter what I do.The game allows me to add the pet to my family, but it never actually appears. The face icons of my person sims in the family become grey-ed out (in the bottom left corner in CAS) but the animal never loads in. I've tried using manage households to add the pet to an existing family, I've tried starting from the gallery and moving in with a family as the pet, I've tried removing all of my mods and clearing all my cache files before attempting. Nothing works. Plus, once I've tried merge the pet into my family, if I continue trying to mess around in CAS afterward, all of the game icons disappear from the screen and I become unable to click on anything at all and I have to use task manager to close the game and restart. 

I'm getting REALLY frustrated since I literally just spent $50 for one reason and now I can't do it. Can anyone help me with solving this issue?

Sorry if this has been posted before. I looked around but I couldn't find the exact same issue anywhere. 

Message 1 of 21 (7,580 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Can't add any pets from the gallery

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@xXxCleverNamexXx 

Cleaning mods folder is not enough sometimes. There are mods which create files in your saves folder also.
But in this case, I suspect some of your CC caused it.
after adding Dogs and cats, many of your CC's were no longer compatible with the game. If you enabled the mods option in the game and enabled the game, the game files could be damaged. Although you removed the CC afterward, that damage has not been repaired
How to fix it:

First, check if there are new versions of mods and CC that you use

Step 1. Rename The Sims4 folder to "The Sims4 old"
Step 2. Fix the game in Origin
Origin/Library - right click on TS4 - option "Repair game"
You have to wait until Origin will fix all packs, not only the base game.
Step 3. Turn on the game - a new game folder will be created and you will have two - one old, one new
Step 4. Check if you still have this problem in the newly created game folder
If the problem disappeared
Step 5. Delete in the new game folder following folders:
"saves" and Tray.
Step 6. Go to "The Sims 4 old" folder and copy - your "saves " folder.
Step. 7, Paste this folder in a newly created game folder.
Step 8. Do the same with Tray folder and TrayDeleteItems file
Step 9. Copy and paste your mods and CC from old mods folder to a new one. First copy the scripts mods every time checking if the game is working properly. If you have a lot of CC try 50/50 method
Step. 10. If all is OK - delete The Sims4 old folder. Now you will have only one game folder working properly.

I don't work for EA.

View in thread

Message 9 of 21 (7,369 Views)

All Replies

Champion (Retired)

Please post a DxDiag. https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/
You can attach the txt file directly to your answer.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 2 of 21 (7,554 Views)

★★★ Novice

Here is the diagnostic info you requested as well as a screenshot of what it looks like when I try to add a pet. Thank  you for your help!greyed_out_sim_when_adding_pet.png

Message 3 of 21 (7,532 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

Your Graphics driver is a year old. Please visit nvidia.com to upgrade it.

From the screenshot it appears that you just started a new game and a default Sim was created.that is all. To add a pet from the gallery you would then click the Gallery button. Then Gallery tab and find the household you like and click Place in game. You will then get the option to replace or merge with the default household. Are these the steps you perform?

If you click the + do you then have the option to create a pet?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 4 of 21 (7,514 Views)

★★★ Novice

The screenshot is what it looks like AFTER going to the gallery, selecting a pet, and merging it with the household. It was a new family just to show how the sim becomes grey-ed out in the corner but no pet appears. Thank you for the advice.

Message 5 of 21 (7,498 Views)

Champion (Retired)

Ok so you did do it the correct way. Do you have the option to create a Pet like I asked?

Also. Do you have any Mods or CC? If so move your Mods folder to the Desktop and delete localthumbcache.package. Then start a new game.

Message 6 of 21 (7,484 Views)

★★★ Novice

I am able to create my own pets just fine. It only occurs when I try to add one from the gallery. I do have mods and cc but I already tried removing the folder and deleting the cache and then adding a pet but it didn't change anything. I also updated my drivers like you suggested but the problem is still occurring. Do you have any other suggestions? Thanks

Message 7 of 21 (7,471 Views)

★★★ Novice

Still struggling with this and looking for answers

Message 8 of 21 (7,389 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@xXxCleverNamexXx 

Cleaning mods folder is not enough sometimes. There are mods which create files in your saves folder also.
But in this case, I suspect some of your CC caused it.
after adding Dogs and cats, many of your CC's were no longer compatible with the game. If you enabled the mods option in the game and enabled the game, the game files could be damaged. Although you removed the CC afterward, that damage has not been repaired
How to fix it:

First, check if there are new versions of mods and CC that you use

Step 1. Rename The Sims4 folder to "The Sims4 old"
Step 2. Fix the game in Origin
Origin/Library - right click on TS4 - option "Repair game"
You have to wait until Origin will fix all packs, not only the base game.
Step 3. Turn on the game - a new game folder will be created and you will have two - one old, one new
Step 4. Check if you still have this problem in the newly created game folder
If the problem disappeared
Step 5. Delete in the new game folder following folders:
"saves" and Tray.
Step 6. Go to "The Sims 4 old" folder and copy - your "saves " folder.
Step. 7, Paste this folder in a newly created game folder.
Step 8. Do the same with Tray folder and TrayDeleteItems file
Step 9. Copy and paste your mods and CC from old mods folder to a new one. First copy the scripts mods every time checking if the game is working properly. If you have a lot of CC try 50/50 method
Step. 10. If all is OK - delete The Sims4 old folder. Now you will have only one game folder working properly.

I don't work for EA.

Message 9 of 21 (7,370 Views)

★★★ Novice

@kreatora wrote:

@xXxCleverNamexXx 

Thank you for the advice, I'm trying this now. My only question is, what is the 50/50 method?

Message 10 of 21 (7,319 Views)
sims-all-characters

Want more Sims?

Check out our Sims forums for tutorials and all things Sims.

View more

ts4-promo

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

ts4-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help