Can't Create Roofs on 2nd story

by thirdpotato

Original Post

Can't Create Roofs on 2nd story

★ Novice

So everything was working fine before, but now I can't seem to build roofs on second stories or more. Whenever I create a brand new room at 2nd story or more, the roof will never snap to it. It keeps snapping only to the first floor. 

This has been happening since around mid day on May 12th, with nothing seeming to trigger it. I didn't upload any new mods. It was just like one moment it worked, and one moment it just stopped working all together. 

It happened while I was trying to follow this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OopshP5_oW6HQ

I think when I started moving the 2nd story around? I'm pulling at straws, but that was the last thing I was doing before this glitch started happening. 

Thanks in advance, here's my info below.

• Your Operating System: Windows 10, using origin, not steam.
  • Are you getting any error messages ? no
  • Are you using custom content or mods ? yes
  • What have you tried ? 
    • Disabling mods
    • Repair game
    • Building on a different lot
    • Erasing roof, re-building roof
    • Changing roof material
    • Flattening my lot and making sure ground was flat
    • Loading different game save
    • What DOES work: Building roofs on pre-established houses or even my main house. It just seems to be an issue whenever I create a new room using the build-room tool, and try to make a roof on that.

• If you have pictures, upload them to a picture sharing site and link it here: 
    • In this image you don't see a ceiling there, because that's part of the glitch too. The ceilings flicker on and off, but they are there. I can remove the ceiling, rebuild the ceiling, but they still flicker like that...
  • It might be helpful to include how computer knowledgeble you are (Basic, Intermediate, Advanced): intermediate

Message 1 of 4 (2,004 Views)

Re: Can't Create Roofs on 2nd story

★★★★ Expert

@thirdpotato If there are mods installed the first explanation is that they interfere, and so the first troubleshooting step would be to remove them and test in that save; and then test in a new save that has never had mods or cc. Have you done that?

Message 2 of 4 (1,980 Views)

[ Edited ]

@thirdpotato 

You need to go up a floor in build mode so the grid shows on top of the walls where you want to place the roof. Going by your screenshot the game thinks you want to place the roof on the floor of that room, rather than on top.

05-14-21_12_52_23 PM.png

05-14-21_12_52_27 PM.png

Screenshot 2021-05-14 at 12.52.39.png

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 3 of 4 (1,962 Views)

★★★★ Expert

@thirdpotato Was it that easy? Did you not know that you need to go up a level? Does it work when you do?

Message 4 of 4 (1,948 Views)