Re: Can I download Sims 4 on different platform?

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

Can I download Sims 4 on different platform?

★★ Novice

If I have all my Sims 4 games on my Origin account on Mac, if I buy a new PC laptop, will I be able to play my Sims 4?? 

Long Story: I downloaded the Sims 4 patch yesterday on my 2011 15" MacBook Pro. Didn't realize this would mean that the Sims 4 would no longer support my laptop's configurations:

Old Laptop: (Honestly surprised it lasted this long!) 

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Early 2011)

Processor: 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB

Did some research and I'm just not willing to invest in a new MacBook Pro just to play The Sims. I have all the expansions / game and stuff packs and was REALLY looking forward to Discover University.Devil I found a 17" MSI laptop that I would be willing to purchase - however - I'm nervous my Sims 4 (all expansions, game packs and stuff packs) won't transfer platforms. Disappointed

New Laptop:

MSI GF75 Thin 9SC-027 17.3" Gaming Laptop, Thin Bezel, Intel Core i7-9750H, NVIDIA GeForce GTX1650, 16GB, 512GB NVMe SSD

Can someone please confirm I can transfer my games to a different platform???(Not even too concerned about saves.... I started a new save this week to prepare for University, and it wouldn't be the end of the world if I can't retrieve it: Not being able to play my purchased games OR access the gallery on my new PC? End of world! Shocked

Thank you!! Party hat

Message 1 of 2 (833 Views)

Re: Can I download Sims 4 on different platform?

[ Edited ]

@Sin88va  I've moved your post to the Sims 4 general discussion section.

Yes, you can download the game for free onto your new laptop; buying the PC version of Sims 4 gives you the right to play in both Windows and macOS.  You can manually transfer your saves, builds, etc. to your new install as well.

The best practice is to launch the game once on the new computer, make sure everything works, and then copy over the files you want to keep.  If you don't have a USB stick or external drive formatted for both OSs, you can just upload your content to a free filesharing site and download it onto the new laptop.  (It's best to download mods anew, all the more so now that there's been a major patch.)  Here's an explanation of everything you'll find in your game folder:

https://sims4.crinrict.com/eng/2014/09/user-files-explained/

P.S.  That's a nice laptop, capable of running all TS4 packs on ultra graphics settings.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 2 (812 Views)