Re: Calendar & birthdays don't seem to line up

by 107531kop

Original Post

Calendar & birthdays don't seem to line up

★★★★★ Apprentice

Hiya,

I'm playing a save game with lifespan set to long and I've discovered something of which I'm not sure whether it is a bug or not... (have all packs and currently no mods/cc).

Previously my babies wouldn't age up according to the calendar and I found out that they do age automatically, but 3 sim-days after their birthdays are set on the calendar (I'm not yet sure whether this is due to the long lifespan-settings; I'm planning on starting a new save game with normal lifespan in order to check this out).

Now I'm having the same problem with my toddlers not aging up according to their birthdays on the calendar, their lifespan-bar is full and sparkling, but still they won't age up after a full sim-week. And I discovered that once another sim-day passes in which the toddlers don't age up, their birthday actually shifts to the next sim-day on the calendar.

I have read that it can take up to 48 sim-hours for an elder sim with full lifespan-bar before they actually die, and this appears to be true within my save game (and to several of my friends who play Sims 4 as well). But somehow I cannot picture the general auto-aging process to take even longer than that as appears to happen in my save game currently.

I don't know whether this is a bug somewhere in the Seasons-pack (I believe that's the pack the calendar came with), or if this is natural, but I think it's very strange. My current save game is set up as a so-called "Course of Nature" playthrough and it would be sad if I can't play according that principle by having to age up manually when it's their birthday according to the calendar.

It would be a great help if this problem could be figured out (perhaps by someone willing to recreate the problem), because I haven't got the foggiest how to solve this problem.

Message 1 of 11 (3,913 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

I've done my first part of the check in a separate save game (normal lifespan & calendar set to 7 days per season).

According to the calendar a baby should auto-age 2 sim-days after birth, (born on Wednesday, birthday on Friday). It is currently sim-Saturday but still no aging, birthday on the calendar has moved to Saturday. On late Saturday the baby auto-aged into a toddler (a day late).

Message 2 of 11 (3,883 Views)

Champion (Retired)

Before we had calendars I don't think this would have been as noticeable.
In your most recent experience the game did not sync exactly with the calendar.
IE: Born on Wednesday (normal lifespan) the game calculates three days later as their birthday.
I am thinking time of day may also be a factor. It (ageing up) could also be dependent on the time of day.
Meaning the day of birth would be considered as day zero and in this instance the third day (aging up day) would be Saturday. 
To me it seems that is the "game logic" and not synced to the calendar for some reason. 
I will be interested to see what you discover in your latest save.

- EQ Avid Sims Player
I do not work for EA
All packs installed and patches are current.
PC / Win 10
Never used CC or mods.

I am sharing this again from our other discussion as a point of reference.
Life spans.png

Source Credit:
https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/tutorials/sims.php

EQ Avid Sims Player
I do not work for EA but I do volunteer at AnswersHQ to help others with their game issues.
EAGameChanger - The Sims 4 Gallery Creator
Gallery Tag: #EQCreations
Message 3 of 11 (3,872 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

@107531kop  Remembering your explanation of playing a game with natural aging up maybe consider this.
Do you ever use cake to age any of your Sims?

I propose a workaround of using the cake (for toddlers and older) on the expected date they would be aging up.
Of course clicking on the crib to age up the babies.
Or set up the birthday as a holiday on the calendar your self as a sort of reminder.
Just a suggestion because you should play the game in a way that you enjoy.

- EQ Avid Sims Player
I do not work for EA
PC / Win 10
Never used CC or mods.

Edit to add: 07Dec2019

In the other thread you mentioned you had "removed all mods/cc and deleted the localthumbcache".
Just want to verify you had not put any mods / cc back into your game.

Reference:
"Babies still not auto-aging"
https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion-and-Feedback/Babies-still-not-auto-aging/m-p/8482524#M1...

EQ Avid Sims Player
I do not work for EA but I do volunteer at AnswersHQ to help others with their game issues.
Message 4 of 11 (3,865 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
@EuphorialQueen I see using the cakes as manual aging, so I'm not really a fan of doing that in my Course of Nature save game (in other save games I have no problem with it). And no, I still haven't put back my mods/cc, was planning on reintroducing them, but when I discovered the discrepancy with birthdays and the calendar I decided to wait until I got this sorted
Message 5 of 11 (3,833 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Second part of the test is complete.

According to the calendar my toddler was supposed to age up in 7 days (Saturday to Saturday), however it took until Sunday (8 sim-days) before the toddler auto-aged.

As a kid he was sad tho because apparently no-one thought of the idea to throw a birthday party.

Message 6 of 11 (3,824 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

Third part of the test completed as well.

One of my sim-parents has aged from young adult to adult. It was supposed to happen on Monday, but happened on Tuesday (again a day late).

The second young adult has auto-aged as well, similar to the other one a day later than the calendar said she would.

Message 7 of 11 (3,815 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Fourth part of the test completed too.

The child-sim has now auto-aged to a teen, again one day later than the calendar set for his birthday.

Message 8 of 11 (3,809 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

The fifth part of the test has been completed.

Had a teen become a young adult and an adult an elder.

Both auto-aged a day after the calendar set their birthdays.

Message 9 of 11 (3,777 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@107531kop  So what you are saying is in this test your findings are consistent.
With normal lifespan and the default 7 day seasons the day they age up is one day after it is on the calendar.
Actually thinking back and having consulted with several veteran players this can be expected.
Even with base game and previous versions of the game there has been a notice the day before a Sim ages up.
That gives the player ample notice to decide their next step. Some may want to bake a cake (to avoid the sad moodlet in TS4) or plan a party to celebrate and others like yourself want birthdays to just happen.  It is ultimately up to players to decide how to play out their stories.

With Seasons we now have the added bonus of checking the calendar to be prepared for the upcoming events.
Think of it as the calendar just serving as a reminder and not the actual birthday.
Of course whenever you change the lifespan or the length of the Seasons there may be unexpected changes to holidays and events.
Discovering the rhythm of the calendar compared to the actual event could make your gameplay more enjoyable.

- EQ Avid Sims Player
I do not work for EA
PC / Win 10
Never used CC or mods.

EQ Avid Sims Player
Message 10 of 11 (3,764 Views)