CAS background wont change.

by amazesimms

Original Post

CAS background wont change.

★★★ Newbie

i have a problem,

I have no cas background type file in my mods folder but when I load the game (and go into CAS) the background is still there and I would like to change it.

I have deleted my old cas background and put in a new one but the old one still shows up in-game.

Message 1 of 13 (12,922 Views)

Re: CAS background wont change.

★★ Novice

I have a similar problem but I'm not even sure how to fix it.

I had a cas background that I got tired of using, so I downloaded like 8-10 more and put them in a separate folder called "Extra CAS Backgrounds" (which I did not put in the mods folder because it could cause issues in the game).

So I put the background that I got tired of, in the "Extra CAS Backgrounds" folder, and transfered a new one into the regular cas background folder (in the mods section. you can only have one background at a time). I had already repaired and updated the game, then I went back into the game, but the original background was still there. After that, I decided to completely delete my original background and see what would happen but low and behold, it was still there.

UPDATE:

I just remembered that when I got tired of my old cas background earlier on, I had switched it to a white background WHICH WORKED, but then when I took the white one out and switched it to a different one, it somehow turned out as the original background that I have been trying to remove.

what do I do?

Message 2 of 13 (12,844 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Expert

@iSnoopy2001 @amazesimms  Have you tried clearing your cache after switching the CAS background mods in your Mods folder? You can do this by deleting the localthumbcache.package file from your Sims 4 folder. The game will auto-generate a new localthumbcache.package file the next time you launch it. You'll also want to make sure that any mod you are trying to use, background or otherwise, is current and verified to be compatible with the latest game patch.

Maybe give this a try:
1) Remove all background mods from your Mods folder
2) Delete the localthumbcache.package file from your Sims 4 folder
3) Restart your game to see if the CAS background is back to the default appearance.

If this works, then try adding the new background mod to your Mods folder and see if it is working properly now.

Btw- I delete the localthumbcache.package file from my Mods folder every time I make any changes to my mods folder.

Good luck, I hope this helps :D

Message 3 of 13 (12,821 Views)

★★ Novice

I've done all the steps numerous times. I deleted the localthumbcache.package file, cleared the rest of my cache, repaired the game, updated the game, restarted, etc.

This is what my file folder looks like atm:

(CAS) Backgrounds 5_9_2020 12_48_49 PM.png

That is my CAS Background folder in the Mods section. As you can see, there's nothing in it. 

While that was going on, this is what my CAS Background looked like in game:

The Sims™ 4 5_8_2020 11_10_42 PM.png

This is the same CAS Background that I have been trying to delete for so long, why can't I get rid of it?DevilDevil. I would assume that if there was nothing in my Mods: CAS Background folder, there it would revert back to the default background.....?

Meanwhile, I keep all of my extra CAS Backgrounds, outside the Mods folder, in here:

(CAS) Backgrounds 5_9_2020 12_49_13 PM.png

How would I fix this?

Message 4 of 13 (12,766 Views)

@iSnoopy2001  Is it possible you put this background in a different subfolder?  Try moving your entire Mods folder to the desktop, as as test.  Start a new save to see whether the background is still there.

If it is, please confirm that the Mods folder you moved is the one from the Sims 4 user data folder the game is actually using.  This is easy: just check the last modified date on config.log inside the folder.  Its time and date should match the last time you launched the game, as in, a few minutes before when you opened TS4 to test.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 5 of 13 (12,747 Views)

★★ Novice

Thank you so much! I just now realized that this entire time, I did in fact have a copy of the background in a Subfolder.

I will update you guys again once it's all clear.

I love the EA Community!

Message 6 of 13 (12,719 Views)

★★ Novice
@RandomBuzziness 1st off i’m new to this website so i didn't know how to comment and not reply so sorry for that, but for some reason i had a cas background in my game which worked fine but then when i wanted to switch it out, the new background didn’t load. i tried another background i have saved (all in a different folder) and it didn't work either. when i load my game its just the regular green and blue background.
Message 7 of 13 (12,531 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Expert

Hi @skyskyxd Welcome to AHQ 

I think you can only load one CAS background mod at a time, so make sure you remove any old background mods before you install a new one. If you have more than one they'll probably conflict with each other. Make sure your new mod is not still compressed in a .zip file or .7z or anything like that. It has to be unzipped into a .package file that goes directly in your Mods folder. Make sure the game did not disable mods and CC in your Game Options during a game patch installation through Origin. Make sure you still have a file called Resource.cfg in your Mods folder.

Another important step when making changes to your Mods folder is to clear your game cache by deleting the localthumbcache.package file from your Sims 4 folder. The game will auto-generate a new cache file the next time you launch it. I delete this file any time I make any change to my mods folder. It's probably over-kill but it only takes a second and it might save me from having to troubleshoot my mods later.

So I have a few questions to help us figure this out in case the above steps didn't solve the problem:
- Are you on PC or Mac?
- Is this the only mod you use or do you have others? (If yes, I don't need to know what they are)
- If you do have other mods, are they still working fine?
- If you put your old CAS background mod back in your Mods folder, does it still work?

It could be that those new CAS Background mods you are trying to use were made obsolete at some point by a game patch. It's fairly common for mods to get broken any time there is a big game-changing patch like the one on June 3rd. Here a link to a great mods tracking site where you can search to see if your mods have been updated or if they are obsolete with no replacements:

https://simsonic.weebly.com/modtracker.html

Just scroll down to where you see "Main Tracker / A - Z" and click on that.

I do have a CAS Background mod in my game that is still working fine so I know for certain that at least some of them should still work after the June 3rd patch. I can't post a link on AHQ but if you go to the Mod The Sims website and search for Old School CAS Room you should be able to find it pretty easily. I love that it has the mirror so I can see the front and the back of a hairstyle at the same time.

Good luck, I hope some of this helps :D If not, please let us know and we can look into trying something else.

I'm just a regular Sims player, I don't work for EA

Message 8 of 13 (12,502 Views)

★★ Novice
@RandomBuzziness Ok, i still have the resource.cfg file and i just deleted the localthumbcache.package file. As for the questions you have im on PC, i do have other mods, my mods are working, and the old background still works. im about to go on the website you linked rn .
Message 9 of 13 (12,488 Views)

★★ Novice
@RandomBuzziness can you explain how the website you linked works lol? i see the “main tracker a-z” but when i click it how do i see my mods because i dont see mines
Message 10 of 13 (12,482 Views)
sims-all-characters

Want more Sims?

Check out our Sims forums for tutorials and all things Sims.

View more

ts4-promo

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

ts4-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help