Re: Buyer Beware: Sims 4 Bundle in Origin

by Camelund

Original Post

Buyer Beware: Sims 4 Bundle in Origin

★★ Guide

Seeing as EA has made no formal announcements, I want to alert players to a serious issue.  EA is currently advertising a Sims 4 3-pack Bundle in the UK in Origin for £35.52. After entering your card details, the review order page switches the price to £44.97.  Having followed instructions etc, and subsequently given the runaround in live chat help, I was finally advised that this is a 'bug' and that I would have to wait for a fix.  But EA refused to commit to honouring the price as advertised in the future.  It seems like a bait and switch and I will report to the relevant authorities as such. In the meantime, I want to alert players to double check their potential purchases as they may end up paying more than advertised. 

Message 1 of 5 (671 Views)

★★ Novice

Yeah, I have the same issue, although mine is slightly cheaper than yours on account of the 10% EA Play discount, so it's £31 and £40 respectively.

I thought it might be something to do with Brexit and a stealth rise, but yeah, looks like I'm waiting for my next bundle

Message 2 of 5 (619 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

It appears that all areas are now displaying the higher pricing.  So I think the 'bug' was that it shouldn't have been displaying the older lower price.

Big difference, 20% increase?  What would be interesting to know is if these price rises are reflected for customers outside of UK.  So has price in US gone up, or mainland Europe, or Australia?

UPDATE: By changing my store preference to US, I was able to buy a build a bundle for $44, which is equivalent of £33.  So it looks like that's my workaround until they fix this 'bug'

Message 3 of 5 (569 Views)

@Camelund and @brief_candles  Usually when this happens, the old price was correct during a recent sale, and Origin hasn't refreshed its data yet.  Trying to actually buy something makes Origin refresh the price.  Clearing its cache (if using the app), or clearing the browser cache or using a private window (if going through origin.com) should fix the problem as well.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 4 of 5 (564 Views)

★★ Guide

@Camelund That's interesting that you were able to purchase at the originally advertised price via the US shop. Good on you. I honestly can't be bothered now lol.

@puzzlezaddict Thank you for trying to help. I did clear browser and origin caches, rebooted etc as directed by live chat help to no avail. Hence my post. If it were a bug, I would have expected some kind of attempt to alert players, pull the promotion and/or honour the price as advertised. I should have known better to expect said honour from EA. The price has been 'fixed' to the not-surprising higher price as of yesterday with no effort on my part to update or clear any thing. Anyway: no worries. There are other games and platforms.

Message 5 of 5 (535 Views)