Re: Sims wearing random makeup

by FinalBossNyuma

Original Post

Bugs and The Sims 101 - Everything you need to know! - Discussion

[ Edited ]
EA Watch
Have any questions or comments about our recent discussion about Bugs and The Sims, here's the best place to leave them.

Message 1 of 36 (2,074 Views)

Re: Bugs and The Sims 101 - Everything you need to know! - Discussion

★★★★ Expert

I hope it helps!  I know people get frustrated, but... yeah.  I know you have to triage bugs as they come in based on severity and how many people it affects, etc.

(Also, y'all, QA isn't playing the hundred baby challenge or whatever, they're probably tasked with breaking new content before it's released and verifying that bugs are reproducible.  So "this is broken fix it play your own game!" isn't helpful, but "I performed these precise steps several times and each time this really weird thing happened" is SUPER HELPFUL.) 

Message 2 of 36 (2,033 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Honestly... I feel you. This is so ridiculous. The game is literally unplayable. Customization is a major part of this game. We shouldn't have to resort to deleting our pets and babies because of something so basic that should always be functional. I'm sitting here with a male sim that I now have to delete because he's stuck wearing neon green, blue and yellow mac lipstick for every outfit. I guess that's what we get for simply trying to use the game's features, right? The fact that they haven't even MENTIONED that they're aware of this... and it started over half a year ago.

Message 3 of 36 (2,012 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

It truly has become egregious; the number of bugs specifically plaguing the console has only continued to increase since the introduction of this bug, & per usual we’re expected to tolerate this sub-par gameplay experience. At this point now I don’t see the harm in asking.

@SimQARobo  @EA_Cade, or whoever else is qualified to answer: Is there not a dedicated team to address console-specific issues? Are any of these bugs pertaining to console being actively investigated/addressed? If yes to either or both of those questions, can we expect to see any of these bugs to be rectified before year’s end?

Surely console cannot be so low in priority that we console players are merely relegated to waiting more than a year’s time to see critical fixes be made to what are inarguably essential facets of TS4 gameplay…right?

Message 4 of 36 (1,999 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@FinalBossNyuma @Renasai3 I've moved your posts into the bug discussion thread. Please read the first post on how bugs are handled.

Message 5 of 36 (1,955 Views)

Community Manager

@FinalBossNyuma wrote:

It truly has become egregious; the number of bugs specifically plaguing the console has only continued to increase since the introduction of this bug, & per usual we’re expected to tolerate this sub-par gameplay experience. At this point now I don’t see the harm in asking.

@SimQARobo  @EA_Cade, or whoever else is qualified to answer: Is there not a dedicated team to address console-specific issues? Are any of these bugs pertaining to console being actively investigated/addressed? If yes to either or both of those questions, can we expect to see any of these bugs to be rectified before year’s end?

Surely console cannot be so low in priority that we console players are merely relegated to waiting more than a year’s time to see critical fixes be made to what are inarguably essential facets of TS4 gameplay…right?

Hi @FinalBossNyuma 

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you! Unfortunately, there isn't really a good way to say it: Bugs can be very complex creatures to handle. Some take longer than others to be resolved based on a  number of factors like the amount of players being impacted, the ease of the investigation process, how many teams are required to get involved, etc, etc. 

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but I don't want to lie to you about this. We do our very best to address all bugs as fast as we possibly can but sometimes some of them just take longer I'm afraid. 

EACade
Message 6 of 36 (1,925 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Expert

So, I don't work for EA, but I do work for a non-game software company, and I was chatting with a friend and she was like "OMG WHY HAVEN'T THEY FIXED [horrible game-breaking bug that destroyed her favorite save]???"

(I can tell you which one it is, but... let's just move on.)

So what I told her is:

Imagine you have three bug reports. (If you've perused the bug report forums, you'll see what a gross oversimplification this is, but bear with me.)

1. Horrible, distressing, game-breaking bug that affects a small amount of users and the team has ZERO idea what causes it, let alone how to fix it.

2. Game won't launch for a significant number of players, medium difficulty fix.

3. Dumb graphical glitch that affects a HUGE number of player who are all very angry about it, easy fix.

So, I'd say they're probably going to knock out 2, throw in 3 if they have time before patch day, and leave 1 on the back burner with QA scratching their heads over it.  We all want them to fix #1, but if they pour their resources into 1 they won't have people to work on 2 and 3. 

Also, things that look to the end user like they might be super easy to fix sometimes end up being really hard to fix.  Like, rewrite how the thing works from the ground up hard. And the first step is understanding how to reproduce it consistently and what causes it. 

Message 7 of 36 (1,912 Views)

★ Guide
@EA_Cade Oh no, not at all! I’m just sincerely appreciative of the fact that you took the time out to acknowledge & address my concerns, & I also completely understand & appreciate your honesty in that the reality of the situation may not always translate to an easy-to-swallow answer. Thank you so much!

Oh and let me tell you: I’d posed those questions not long before yesterday’s update dropped - to my absolute surprise - & had I known better I’dve personally waited for a more opportune time to ask them, haha. I certainly wouldn’t intend to add to any disappointment in receiving so many new & much-needed base game item swatches!
Message 8 of 36 (1,894 Views)

The Sims 4 Bug Reporting is a Joke

★★★ Pro

I read the thread that describes how the bug reporting forum works and it is too complicated and time-consuming. The main reason I uninstalled the game is because of the way bug reporting and getting issues fixed work. The forum is ineffective. Having a system based on fixing bugs due to how many likes a post gets in a game as vast as The Sims 4 is not effective because the game has so many different packs. EA has the money to hire additional customer service representatives. It is a billion-dollar company. Much smaller games have better bug reporting systems.

There should be a system to report bugs within the game to make the process easier on players. 

The process:

1. Player experiences what he thinks is a bug
  2. Opens up an option to report the bug using a form.
  3. Before reporting the bug a popup appears
    1. It displays a list of known issues
    2. If he has mods enabled, it asks him to remove the mods and try to see if the bug is still persistent
    3. If the game is not up-to-date, it asks the player to update the game
    4. Ask the player to try to replicate the issue in a brand new save
    5. Asks the player to delete the cache 
    6. Asks the player to repair the game
    7. Other troubleshooting steps
  4. The player tried to troubleshoot and is still having an issue. The bug is not on the list of known issues.
  5. The player submits the report within the game. The form automatically sends basic game information and the save file where the bug occurred. It asks for additional details like pictures, a video, and the steps to replicate the bug. The same basic information that is on the normal bug reporting form is requested.
  6. The player receives an email thanking him for his bug report and he will receive more information in a few days.
  7. A few days later, the player receives a follow-up email detailing one of the following:
    1. The issue is a known bug and a fix will be out in a future patch and a possible workaround if available.
    2. The issue is not a bug and he should post his feedback online
    3. The bug could not be replicated and more information is needed such as an additional save file
    4. The issue is a new bug and it has been added to the list of known bugs and a possible workaround if available.
  8. The player is somewhat satisfied because he got a real answer to his bug report request.

How come a simple system like this is so hard for a billion-dollar company like EA to implement but many smaller indie gamers can have this system?

Message 9 of 36 (1,815 Views)

Re: The Sims 4 Bug Reporting is a Joke

Champion (Retired)

@canelacaliente 

This is not Facebook. Clicking Me Too is not the same as a like but tells that you also have the same issue. Knowing how many have a particular issue is a valuable metric for the severity of an issue whether it is an actual bug or just something people don't like.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 10 of 36 (1,768 Views)