Apartment Mailboxes & Regular Houses

by Braxien

Original Post

Apartment Mailboxes & Regular Houses

★★ Guide

So, IRL I live in an older suburb and my house has a mail slot, not a stand-alone mailbox.

I recreated my house in Sims4 and put the apartment mailbox from City Living on my house because it looks more like what I have IRL. I can receive mail fine this way in the game, but I can't send anything from the mailbox. Like if I try to use the mailbox to pay bills, or send a postcard, or send a book to a publisher, the "X" error happens when my Sim goes to do it. I've moved it around in case it was a pathing error, but no location seems to make it work.

Can these mailboxes just not be used on non-apartment houses, or is there some other bug or thing I need to do?

Message 1 of 5 (6,101 Views)

Re: Apartment Mailboxes & Regular Houses

Champion

@Braxien, I'm pretty sure they were only intended to be used in apartments. Frown  The only thing I can suggest is to keep the apartment mail slot and place standing mailbox on your lot for mailing things.  You can try to store the standing mailbox in your Family Inventory when you don't need it, and then only bring it out and place it when you need to mail something, and put it back in the Family Inventory when you are done.  I don't know if this will work, but it is worth a try! Wink  

There could be a Mod out there that will let you use the apartment mailboxes as house mailboxes, but you will need to maintain any Mods or CC regularly as they can become outdated and broken, especially after EA releases a game patch.  This means that you will have to go back to where you found the Mod/CC and see if they have a new version to work with the latest game update, and then replace the outdated Mod with the new version.  Disappointed

CCP Champion Banner - Red.png

Message 2 of 5 (6,048 Views)

★★ Guide
@PugLove888 Thanks so much for responding. I did see somewhere where the Old Salt House had an apartment mailbox (and yet was a normal house), but perhaps that isn't true. I usually replace it in my game with a bar. Standard smile

Appreciate the suggestions. It's just odd that I can get mail at my house with it, but can't send. Ah, well. Thanks again!!
Message 3 of 5 (6,012 Views)

★★★ Expert

@Braxien You are correct, the Old Salt House does have the apartment-style mailbox.

mailbox1.JPG

I'm not sure why it would work there and not on any other residential lot unless it has something to do with the Spice Market neighborhood? If you have the Get Together EP there is a nice mailbox that has a similar appearance that could blend-in well with a wall.

mailbox2.JPG

Just as an experiment maybe you could try hiding a regular mailbox somewhere on your lot, like in a basement, and keep the apartment-style mailbox to give your lot the appearance you want. I often do something like this with with extra beds if I want my Sim to advertise for a roommate and she has one or more pets (the game requires a regular bed for all Sims, including pets, plus at least one extra before it will allow you to advertise for a roommate. I don't want all those beds taking up space in my house so I hide them in a basement. Anyhow, sorry that's getting a little off-topic xD I don't know if having more than one mailbox per lot is even allowed but it might be worth trying. 

Message 4 of 5 (5,997 Views)

Champion

@Braxienand @RandomBuzziness , I forgot about the Old Salt House!  (And I've used it a bunch, just not lately! Oops )  But as soon as you said you thought it had one, I knew you were right!Standard smile  @RandomBuzziness Thank you for confirming this! Star  And also I'm glad you mentioned putting the mailbox in an out of the way place like the basement .... I was just thinking of putting it in the family inventory.  The basement is better, and is worth a try! 

CCP Champion Banner - Red.png

Message 5 of 5 (5,986 Views)