Re: Any way for terrain tools to go right up to walls?

by RavenLure

Original Post

Champion

@GeordieJLK Okay... I hope that I did this correctly for what you want to do in your build, and for what @RavenLure was intending. Please let me know if I did it incorrectly. If I did it wrong hopefully RavenLure will come back and demonstrate it correctly. Sorry if I misunderstood anything.

https://youtu.be/ZcRAqpfF7PM

SheriGR   I don’t work for EA.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png
Me Too – if you also have this problem | XP – for helpful comments
Message 11 of 31 (2,251 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

I appreciate the effort, but I want it so that the terrain is only high on one half of the room, not all the way round.

The attached photo is what I’m trying to do. It’s the grass bit under the balcony that I want to get it to reach the wall. 

Message 12 of 31 (2,237 Views)

Champion

@GeordieJLK Yes, that won't work with what I tried. Perhaps I misunderstood what @RavenLure was recommending and she will have a clarification. Your photo is a great goal! Interesting and lovely build! That does remind me of the build from Aljay. I would dearly love to make a proper walkout, but it just won't work as, in any way I've found. But she did some clever workarounds, as it looks like you are finding some creative ideas as well.

Message 13 of 31 (2,228 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

@SheriGRYes Sheri Thank you. I think I may would have made a whole picture book lol, Screen recording and voice over not so sure if I can do! That was great. And yes that is what I was getting at.

I watch too much Youtube instructional videos and play with building a lot to see what I can and cannot do, I do that more than build.

But clearing one side to make a basement entrance or garage area like in your picture.. You can try, not sure it would work well but to make the tool smaller and clear out part of the side a little at a time. I will have to give it a try later, It is morning and need coffee first. lol

Message 14 of 31 (2,163 Views)

★★★ Guide

coffee can wait 5 minutes.

First pic. Foundational issues. I got it to look something like the pic. but the foundation 

Second Placing Walls.. ya it is a bit Frankenstiened and would not be too functional. I did this by making a single wall then placing it so the foundation would not show up, but, still would not let me complete the floor/ceiling. Because of Blockclusters.

Unless there is a more experienced builder. I am not sure I know of any more tricks. @SheriGR  if I do learn more tricks about this I will definitely let you know,. I am always goofing around in build mode.

Message 15 of 31 (2,144 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@RavenLure I had misunderstood that the goal here was not simply getting the terrain to go the the top of the 'first' floor.

Yes, I found similar results in my experiments with your method. I also found that I could attach to the floors built this way only with underground extension or an above ground attachment that included foundation attaching to the 'faux-first floor'. And yes, you cannot then attach to that foundation level - there will be a one-tile space/gap ('conflicting block cluster'). You will not be able to add an exit to ground level (walk-out) to that 'faux first floor' (It will not accept an exterior door or window since it's technically a basement room).

I will also be interested to see if there is a way to manage this without 'tricks and band-aids'. I will contact Aljay and tag in a couple of other builders to see. I'm just so curious. 

@kreatora

@BryonyRae 

Message 16 of 31 (2,085 Views)

★★★ Guide

@SheriGR I am curious as well. Will continue to watch this thread.

Message 17 of 31 (2,063 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@GeordieJLK Just to clarify, by chance, is this what you want (generally)? 
Screen Shot 2020-07-12 at 3.21.16 PM.png

Message 18 of 31 (2,036 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

I want a room on flat ground, which has terrain half the way round it which is up to ceiling height and touching the wall.

I want to be able to have doors and windows on the part of the room not surrounded by terrain. 

Starting to think it’s not possible. 

Message 19 of 31 (2,029 Views)

Champion
@GeordieJLK Thank you for clarifying. That's what I was assuming you wanted - and that's what I'd love to know as well, since I'm not aware of a way without 'workarounds'.

Message 20 of 31 (2,019 Views)
sims-all-characters

Want more Sims?

Check out our Sims forums for tutorials and all things Sims.

View more

ts4-promo

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

ts4-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help