An open letter to EA

by Heavenaesthetic

Original Post

An open letter to EA

★★ Novice

Dear EA!

Why, oh why, did you change the name of the trait "insane" to "erratic"? It doesn't have the same vibe to it Frown I remember playing Asylum Challenge with insane sims. They were so fun and different! The trait works the same way after the change of course but "erratic" doesn't have the same power to it. I get your concerns about offending certain people but WHO would classify themselves as "insane"? NOBODY. So nobody feels offended about it since no one thinks of themselves as insane. I'm not the only one unhappy about this move on your side. Look at the comments on this site: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2018/04/23/maxis-quietly-renames-the-sims-4-insane-trait-...

Please EA, change the name "erratic" to "insane" Frown 

Thank you for reading! ~~

- Sims player

Message 1 of 6 (686 Views)

Re: An open letter to EA

★ Guide

While never offended by the game's word usage, I am clinically insane and consider myself insane when put in the right conditions. I'm nobody, though, so maybe the terminology you used works out? XP

Anyway, it really isn't a big deal. I've seen plenty traits that fall so grossly into stereotypical or plain extreme that they really didn't suit the actual actions that came with the trait at all - Lonewolf (should be agoraphobic) really takes the cake from what I've seen so far for the latter. Either way, words are ridiculously complicated, especially when concerning American. Erratic still falls in the realms of being a synonym for insane. The true difference all falls on silly human perception and stigmas. If the trait gives the actions you desire, what does it matter if the name isn't the "ooh, scary, unnerving" BS that comes with the letter formation? At least you've still got your Sims acting the way you want them to be acting and the trait name still makes perfect sense with the description and actions.

Well, that is how I see it. *Shrugs* 'Not trying to bash your feelings or opinion on the matter, but i felt like chiming in.

Message 2 of 6 (628 Views)

Champion

@Heavenaesthetic, even if most "insane" people wouldn't call themselves "insane", the fact remains that some do.  However, technically, the term "insane" is a legal term and not a medical one (the medical field would call these people "psychotic" or "schizophrenic", etc.).  But even if a person with this illness didn't take offence to the Sims using this term, that doesn't mean that some of their family members wouldn't.   I could especially imagine a young teen with an "insane" family member playing the Sims and feeling very hurt at the use of this term. Frown  At least the Sims with this trait still act the same way they did before! Wink

CCP Champion Banner - Red.png

Message 3 of 6 (613 Views)

★ Guide

PugLove888,

Ah, last sentence you wrote would be my main point. Ah, how well other people can convey their thoughts and feelings. :D

Anyway...

Heavenaesthetic,

Apparently there is a mod you can download where it changes the label back to insane. Go to Mod the Sims and have at it!

Also, food for thought:

https://kotaku.com/the-sims-insane-trait-sucks-1823590379

https://kotaku.com/the-sims-developers-quietly-rename-the-game-s-insane-1825469692

^ I still see this whole thing as silly, however. It is the same actions that annoyed the heck out of that player but with a different label, so now it is more favorable to play?

Message 4 of 6 (605 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
I also want them to bring back the workaholic trait.
Message 5 of 6 (585 Views)

★★ Novice
Thanks for letting me know about the mod! I guess people who liked the name "insane" better can download it and those who didn't can just leave it. So everybody can be happy that way. But yea, I agree that the way sims behave is more importnant than the name itself (of course). Thanks again :3
Message 6 of 6 (565 Views)