Re: Ability to start off a character with funding/skills

by ciannajae

Original Post

Ability to start off a character with funding/skills

★★★★★ Novice

I think a cool feature that I'd like to see someday would be the ability to start off a sim with a certain amount of funding and chosen skills. It gets annoying having to start off a sim from rock bottom, with only a couple thousand dollars and no skills. It appears very unrealistic to me and I think it would be a nice thing to see in the Sims 5! I understand that I can use cheats to give them more money and skills but sometimes I don't like having to use cheats, and it's difficult as a console player (planning to switch to pc) because it takes 2 minutes just to type one sentence with my controller. 

I apologize if this has already been suggested before, this is just something I thought of while playing the sims earlier Standard smile

Message 1 of 11 (1,189 Views)

★★ Novice

Use story mode to make your sims! It gives them traits, an aspiration, a career, and funds to match their lifestyle. When you are in create a sim click the book, it is in the add a sim to family section. I like this because it gives you a boost in a career and "above average" funds if they qualify.

Hopefully this helps!

Message 2 of 11 (1,172 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@ciannajae While I personally don't dislike the story mode, it also can feel too random. Which is why I don't often use it myself. 

Edit: which is why sometimes I do wish for the ability to select their starting funds/skills/jobs from create a sim outside from story mode.

Message 3 of 11 (1,166 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@backplayingsims I agree. I would like the option to change the funds. Personally, I feel I've 'started from scratch' enough that it doesn't feel like cheating to skip that part with a new household (funds-wise). I usually use motherlode or move them in with a more wealthy family (in-game or in the 'split/merge' process) to start. Anyway, I agree that it would be a nice option to add in CAS, etc., if we want to adjust their starting funds. Great idea! 

SheriGR   I don’t work for EA.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png
Me Too – if you also have this problem | XP – for helpful comments
Message 4 of 11 (1,154 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

@ciannajaeYeah, I know that's an option but it's too random for me and I'd really like to be able to choose their traits skills et cetera. Thank you though!

Message 5 of 11 (1,149 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@SheriGR Yeah totally! I don't have as much as a problem with funding as I do with skills. I don't know, personally it just feels unrealistic to me for my sim to have no experience with cooking, fitness, and well, anything really despite being a young adult. Anyways yeah! :D
Message 6 of 11 (1,147 Views)

Champion

@backplayingsims That's also a valid point – to reflect realism and reduce tedious grind in certain respects. Allowing for adjustable beginning funds and certain skills is already somewhat done in the 'story' option, so I can see this being consistent with that angle anyway.

Message 7 of 11 (1,132 Views)

Champion

@SheriGR  i do agree with the idea that a player should be able to choose a Sim with higher skill and a higher starting position, like simoleons etc. But to start from scratch like you and I did and than work your way up with the households to finally get to the wealthiest Sims in your world is something, I think, every player should be able to experience before having the opportunity to start at a higher level.

Personally, I had to work hard with my Sims to get where they are now. So the introduction of a more staged way of playing could be fun too. Opening more cheats along the way. So you have to reach a certain level to gain a cheat code. These cheat codes could be earned as a player so you could use them in any next game as you please. This would be a sort of players XP.

@backplayingsims I understand that playing on a console is so much different and in some ways is also much more difficult (slowing you down, when you have to type in the cheat commands) that there should be a way to work around some of the starting issues. But as I see it the system i think about could also be integrated in the console game.

CCP Champion Banner - Red.png

Let op:
ik ben een vrijwilliger - ik werk dus niet voor EA. / Klik op "Ik ook" - Als je hetzelfde probleem hebt
Geef XP – Voor nuttige opmerkingen (help anderen vooruit) en markeer de oplossing - Als een antwoord jou heeft geholpen.

Message 8 of 11 (1,121 Views)

Champion

@Trismagistos I absolutely agree that if someone did not ever go through a the 'from scratch' process they would be missing out on a big part of getting to know the game. I was more talking about people who have 'been there, done that' a significant amount. There are also financial challenges on the forum (ie - rags to riches) that start out with nothing (literally) and build. Oh my. Though this does not appeal to me at this time I can certainly understand the satisfaction of the challenge. I love learning of the many and creative ways people play their game!

Message 9 of 11 (1,107 Views)

★★★★ Expert
@backplayingsims Yea, that always bugged me. When you create a young-adult in cas, they have absolutely no skills, which isn't right. There are always some skills obtained in youth.

This is why I made a script file (not a script mod), that adds a cheat command "start". Whatever sim is currently active, it gives the basic skill levels you usually obtain while aging up.
Message 10 of 11 (1,093 Views)