Re: ACER SWIFT 3 or ACER NITRO 5 Laptop?? Cannot decide, please help!

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

Accepted Solution

ACER SWIFT 3 or ACER NITRO 5 Laptop?? Cannot decide, please help!

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

Hi! I am looking for a new laptop as my HP laptop which I’ve had since 2016 has now broke. It lasted long and was good while it lasted.

This laptop allowed me to play Sims 4 on Ultra settings WITH all expansion packs, mods and cc.

These were the specifications of my laptop that is now broken:

HP Notebook - 15-ay167sa

Microprocessor

Intel® Core™ i5-7200U (2.5 GHz, up to 3.1 GHz, 3 MB cache, 2 cores)

Memory, standard

8 GB DDR4-2133 SDRAM (1 x 8 GB)

Video graphics

• Intel® HD Graphics 620

• Integrated

Hard drive

1 TB 5400 rpm SATA

I am looking for a new laptop now and my budget is around £700 and below.

There are two laptops “Acer Swift 3 AMD Ryzen 5, 1 TB SSD Purple” and “Acer Nitro 5 AMD Ryzen 5, GTX 1650, 256 GB SSD” that intrigue me.

Could someone please help me decide which one would be better for everyday use on Google Chrome, Netflix, Microsoft Office, playing Sims 4. (Will not be doing all of this at the same time)

Would any of these laptops allow me to play Sims 4 with Ultra settings or at least High settings?

I will attach to this message, images of the specifications for each laptop.

Acer Swift 3 laptop is £699 and Acer Nitro 5 is £629 (gaming laptop). Which one seems better after comparing the specs please??

You can also view the spec comparison in the link below which will be easier or via the PDF file attached.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/1cxhnc6Fek2j58AJqPsLQWEUKSAOfWum6/edit?usp=docslist_api&filetype=mswo... 

Or here is the website link below (might not work though for non-UK residents so files attached and above link is available)

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/gaming/pc-gaming/gaming-laptops/acer-nitro-5-15-6-gaming-laptop-amd-ry...

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/acer-swift-3-14-laptop-amd-ryzen-5-1-tb-ssd-... 

Message 1 of 18 (1,541 Views)

Accepted Solution

@KashmirG2002  Some of these questions have simple answers:

• For gaming purposes, an i5-10300H and a Ryzen 5 4600H are close to equivalent, and you'd never notice the difference in Sims 4.  If you planned on doing other CPU intensive projects, this choice might matter, but for Sims 4 it does not.
  • The 1650 ti is marginally faster than the 1650, but given the higher game performance benchmarks of the Asus, performance would likely be equivalent.
  • GDDR6 memory is faster than GDDR5, but the difference will likely be too small to notice.  Both are extremely fast, much faster than main memory (RAM) if you want to compare.

The Asus does have significantly better reviews: the Tuf A17 model is one of the best reviewed budget gaming laptops, with "budget" here meaning lower than about £1,200.  The Lenovo Ideapad is fine but not as highly rated.  The Lenovo Legion is quite highly rated too, but since you're only shopping at Currys, it's a moot point.

On points like the screen, keyboard, trackpad, and chassis, the two laptops are very similar.  Neither one has a great camera or speakers, although the Asus is better.  The Ideapad is of course smaller, with its 15" screen, and lighter.  These are still two laptops in the same general category though, so their performance will likely be quite similar.  Don't overthink it (and I say that as someone who would totally be overthinking this); just go with the one that you like more.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 14 of 18 (1,678 Views)

All Replies

@KashmirG2002  The specs of the Nitro are clearly better than those of the Swift, other than the relatively small hard drive of the Nitro.  If you'd like, I can look for other options with an Nvidia 1650 and a larger hard drive.

I do want to say, I'm surprised that your HP could run Sims 4 on ultra settings, given its hardware.  The components in the Swift are significantly stronger—the graphics chip in particular is more than twice as fast, if you want a frame of reference.  If the HP has a lower-resolution screen, that could explain some of the difference, but still, the Swift should have much better performance overall.  But the Nitro should run Sims 4 much faster than that.

If you'd like to see other similar laptops, or you have more questions in general, please feel free to ask.

Message 2 of 18 (1,505 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

@puzzlezaddict wrote:

@KashmirG2002  The specs of the Nitro are clearly better than those of the Swift, other than the relatively small hard drive of the Nitro.  If you'd like, I can look for other options with an Nvidia 1650 and a larger hard drive.

I do want to say, I'm surprised that your HP could run Sims 4 on ultra settings, given its hardware.  The components in the Swift are significantly stronger—the graphics chip in particular is more than twice as fast, if you want a frame of reference.  If the HP has a lower-resolution screen, that could explain some of the difference, but still, the Swift should have much better performance overall.  But the Nitro should run Sims 4 much faster than that.

If you'd like to see other similar laptops, or you have more questions in general, please feel free to ask.

@puzzlezaddict. Hi! Thank you so much for all of the helpful information. 

Yes please, I would really appreciate it if you could please help me look for other laptop options under £700 that would be good for everyday use and to play Sims 4 as I am struggling right now since I don’t know much about laptop specs haha.

I look forward to chatting more about this with you.

Message 3 of 18 (1,495 Views)

@KashmirG2002  There aren't a lot of options for £700 or less, other than a number of equivalent Lenovo laptops.  I did find two that are £700 and have a 512 GB hard drive, which is nice to have if not strictly necessary.  The processor in the Acer is a little better than the one in the Asus, but they're both more than fine for Sims 4, so the better option between them is whichever one you like more.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9199527

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9100970

The other options I found had 256 GB hard drives.  That's more than enough space for Sims 4, all packs included, plus a large pile of mods and custom content, but it might get a bit tight if you're planning on installing other games or storing a lot of other data.  These two have equivalent processors as well.

https://www.box.co.uk/81LK010TUK-Lenovo-IdeaPad-L340-Gaming-15_2834990.html

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus-tuf-gaming-a15-fa506ih-nvidia-gtx-1650-8gb-15.6-fhd-ryzen-r5-460...

If you happen to like the Lenovo but don't want to buy it from Box, let me know: I saw it on a couple other sites for a little more money, but still below £700.

If you have more questions, please feel free to ask.

Message 4 of 18 (1,488 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
@puzzlezaddict Thank you so much, I will definitely look into these laptops that you have recommended and do some more research and comparisons.

If you were in my position, someone who is looking for an everyday laptop who plays no games other than Sims 4 (with all packs included & a lot of mods/cc), wanting to browse on the internet, watch Netflix and use the laptop to video call everyday (using Google Duo) and is looking for a fast laptop that will allow good gaming performance and high graphic settings.

Which top 3 laptops would you go for out of the 6 laptops we have discussed?

I really appreciate all of your help Standard smile
Message 5 of 18 (1,471 Views)

@KashmirG2002  This is a bit of a tough call for me.  I would absolutely prefer a larger hard drive (i.e. 512 GB) just in general, but I wouldn't use anywhere near 256 GB for Sims 4 and Windows.  If everything else is streamed, then you may not ever need the extra space.  On the other hand, I'd also be comfortable installing a second hard drive myself, so I wouldn't worry about making a decision I couldn't fix later.

It's difficult to say which laptop is the best for you here.  I'd exclude the Swift because its hardware is not anywhere near as strong.  As for the others, they all have very mediocre webcams, but then that's to be expected of entry-level gaming laptops.  The connectivity of the Lenovo isn't great either, but it's also faster (~300 Mb/s) than most people's home wifi, so you might never notice a difference.  (The connectivity of the others is fine.)  The battery life of a gaming laptop is typically not great, with the Nitro being somewhat of an exception; the Aspire also rates well, whereas the Asus options do not.

In terms of gaming performance, the Aspire does surprisingly well, better than I'd have expected, but there are only a few percentage points difference among them.  The Ideapad has one quite mediocre rating there, which might not be representative of typical performance, but it's hard to say from my vantage point.  The Asus models run a bit louder than the others but still quieter than average, nothing that would bother me, but I play with headphones.  The Acer Aspire runs hotter than the others but nowhere near the danger zone; I'd consider this a negative if I were going to play other games, but Sims 4 is not overly taxing on the processor, and the overall games performance suggests that this is not much of an issue.

If I were in your position, I would prioritize a larger (512 GB) hard drive and likely go with the Acer Aspire, but you may never need the extra storage.  (Check your current computer's free and total storage to get an idea of what you might use.)  If storage were not an issue, and it wouldn't be for me if I were only playing Sims 4, I would choose between the Nitro and the Asus Tuf A15, depending on whether I cared about battery life.  But I'm not you and don't necessarily have the same priorities, so it's difficult for me to even suggest what might be the best option in your case.

Message 6 of 18 (1,456 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

@puzzlezaddictHi! I hope you’re having a lovely day. I honestly really appreciate all of the effort and time you have put in to give me information of the laptops and comparing them all. It was so helpful to me.

After having done research today, I am torn between Nitro 5 and Acer Aspire 7. I am used to having 1TB in my broken laptop so 256GB may be too little since I store a lot of files like images on my laptop too. But then again, I think the Nitro 5 has space to add a hdd inside. 

However, if I ignore storage, in regards to the GPU. The Nitro 5 has GTX 1650 3GB, whereas, Aspire 7 has GTX 1050 3GB so better graphics I’m guessing.

Which processor is better AMD Ryzen 5 3550H or Intel i5-9300H?

And do you think Nitro 5 is better than Aspire 7 in regards to everything else other than storage?

If I added an internal 1TB HDD to the Nitro 5 for around £50, it would be £679 which is still cheaper than Aspire 7 so do you think this would be a good idea?

Getting the Nitro 5 with 256GB for £629 then adding an internal 1TB Hard Drive to it that costs £49.99 = £679?

Message 7 of 18 (1,433 Views)

@KashmirG2002  For a minute there, I thought I'd massively screwed up in recommending the Aspire, because an Nvidia 1050 is significantly slower than a 1650.  But the product page I'm looking at for the Aspire lists a 1650 everywhere I can find.  Are you seeing something else?

From what I can gather, this particular Aspire does not have a 2.5" drive bay.  This site is generally the most reliable source of info about upgrades, and you'll notice it doesn't list any 2.5" drives as compatible:

https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/acer/aspire-a715-75g

The Nitro should be upgradable, as is the Asus Tuf A15:

https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/asus/asus-tuf-gaming-a15

If a laptop has a free 2.5" drive bay, you can put almost any 2.5" drive in it, HDD or SATA SSD.  Personally, I'd prefer to spend the £50-60 on a second 500 GB SSD, for the better overall speed, but if your goal is mainly storage, that may not be important to you.  It's also worth remembering that a SATA drive will make the laptop slightly heavier, in case you're already worried about portability.

The other option is of course using an external drive for data (like images) that you don't need constant access to.  That would be my personal preference, and in fact it's my current configuration, but I understand that's not for everyone.  For me, everything I need to have on hand can easily fit on my 512 GB internal drive, and I have a few external drives lying around for the rest.

The i5-9300H is better for gaming than the Ryzen 5 3550H, but both are good enough for Sims 4.  The limiting factor here should be the graphics card, not the processor, unless you happen to be running other demanding apps while you play.

Message 8 of 18 (1,417 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

@puzzlezaddictI think I may be looking at a different model then on a different website?

The link you sent me for Aspire 7, they do not have any in stock on that website so I searched the Acer Aspire 7 in Currys PC World and found this:

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/acer-aspire-7-a715-74g-15-6-intel-core-i5-la...

And now I’ve just realised I’ve been looking at the a715-74g instead of the 75g you sent me. I didn’t realise I was looking at the wrong one which is why this one I’ve been looking at has NVIDIA 1050 and not 1650, that was my mistake, I’m so sorry! 

Preferably I am looking to buy a laptop from the ‘Currys PC World’ website as they have given me a voucher to use towards a new laptop in their store as my laptop has broken which is why I had a look at the Aspire on their website and ahh! Turns out to be the wrong model you recommended me, my bad.

If I do end up choosing Nitro 5 and if that’s the only good option then yes, I was definitely considering upgrading it myself either adding a HDD or SSD since it’s quite easy by the looks of it and the only downfall of the Nitro 5 laptop that’s £629 is the storage and maybe the plastic feel to it.

I also have an external drive just because I needed to backup my Sims files and all before my laptop completely stopped working and now I’m laptop-less lmao.

I was looking for the Asus laptop on this website too but again, they don’t have the same model which is annoying.

Is it possible to check on that website please and recommend me a few laptops whenever you are free and have the time as they have the Nitro 5 but I’m not sure about any other options as they don’t sell the other laptops you recommended?

This would be much appreciated, sorry for being a pain!

Here is the link:
https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/315_3226_30328_xx_xx/1_20/price-desc/179-700...

And this is the link for gaming laptops
https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/gaming/pc-gaming/gaming-laptops/654_4805_32603_xx_xx/1_20/price-asc/xx...

Thanks so much!! Standard smile

Message 9 of 18 (1,406 Views)

[ Edited ]

@KashmirG2002  I didn't realize you were only shopping at Currys, which of course limits the selection to a significant extent.  I did originally search that site, but I didn't find anything as good as the options I listed from other sites.  In fact, it looks like other than the sold-out Nitro, the only laptop wtih at least a 1650 is a slightly newer Lenovo Ideapad than the one I linked before.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/gaming/pc-gaming/gaming-laptops/lenovo-series-3-15-6-gaming-laptop-int...

I believe the Ideapad would take a second hard drive, but I couldn't find the exact model number on the Currys site.  If you want to make sure, contact the store and ask for the model, product number, whatever is more specific than "Ideapad 3 Gaming," and you can look it up, or I can.

Looking at reviews, this Ideapad is okay but not great.  It has a better keyboard and trackpad than the Nitro, and temperature and noise are about the same, but the Nitro's performance in both gaming and general apps is clearly better.  The Nitro's screen and battery are also better, although the screen quality at least can be subjective.  This doesn't mean that the Ideapad is a terrible choice in context: to be clear, it should run Sims 4 significantly better than any laptop with a 1050 (or a slower graphics card or chip).  I'm just saying its reviews suggest you'd lose a few percentage points in performance relative to how other laptops do.

If you're not thrilled with the Ideaped, then waiting for the Nitro to come back into stock may be your best bet.  You could also keep an eye on the stock for other options—Currys does sell a variety of gaming laptops, and you might catch the Asus or HP I mentioned on a sale.  Any of these three would be good options if they fall into your price range, with the Dell's graphics card being faster than the 1650 ti, which is faster than the 1650:

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/gaming/pc-gaming/gaming-laptops/asus-tuf-a17-17-3-gaming-laptop-amd-ry...

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/gaming/pc-gaming/gaming-laptops/dell-g5-15-5505-15-6-gaming-laptop-amd...

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/gaming/pc-gaming/gaming-laptops/hp-pavilion-16-a0520na-16-1-gaming-lap...

And of course some other good option may show up sooner or later.  In the last couple months, Nvidia has released a significantly faster class of gaming graphics cards, ones that will supplant the 1650 and 1660 ti (and faster), but they're not commonly available yet; when they are, models with a 1650 may fall a bit in price.

Still, if you don't want to wait, the Ideapad should be a steep improvement over your current laptop, or rather over what it was before it broke.

Message 10 of 18 (1,394 Views)