Re: The Sims 4 Cook... Glitch

by StarryMight

Original Post

Selecting Cook at fridge causes game to freeze/crash.

★★★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.79.93.1030
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? I have all expansion packs, all game packs EXCEPT Batuu & Spa Day. The only stuff packs I have are Tiny Living, Paranormal, Vintage Glamor, and Laundry Day.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? By clicking on the refrigerator and then clicking "Cook..."
What happens when the bug occurs? When I select the refrigerator and click "Cook" the screen blues-out but no dialog box opens up. The game is just stuck with the screen blued out but no box and there is no way to exit out of this- the only option I have is to hit the windows key to close the Sims program and then use task manager to hard close origin/sims/
What do you expect to see? I expect the dialog box will open- allowing me to select which meal I want my Sim to cook.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. The new patch that just came out for Spa Day/ Nails.

Any interactions involving the refrigerator have been lagging ever since I purchased/installed/began playing Cottage Living. Now today, after the recent patch, each time I try to have my Sim cook a meal; the game freezes. I have been able to have them Get Leftovers and use other options but the "Cook" functionality freezes the game and unfortunately the cook functionality is crucial for Simple Living challenge gameplay.

Message 1 of 32 (12,228 Views)

Re: Selecting Cook at fridge causes game to freeze/crash.

★★★★★ Newbie

Mine is the exact same thing only I do not have Cottage Living. I'm thinking it's a bug from the recent update.

Message 2 of 32 (12,212 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Good to know. I just tried running a repair in Origin and no luck and then even tried making another selection and any selection that causes a second stage box to open (Bake, Cook, Grand Meal, etc) will cause the game to freeze. I hope someone else has a fix or they send out a repair soon.

Message 3 of 32 (12,198 Views)

The Sims 4 Cook... Glitch

★★★★★ Newbie

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.79.93.1030
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Expansion Packs: All EXCEPT Snowy Escape and Cottage Living. Game Packs: All EXCEPT Vampires and Batuu. Stuff Packs: Paranormal, Nifty Knitting, Tiny Living, My First Pet, Laundry Day, Toddler, Kids Room, Romantic Garden. Kits: NONE
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? While in-game click on the refrigerator, click "Cook...".
What happens when the bug occurs? After clicking "Cook..." the game will freeze with a bluish tint over the whole screen. You will not be able to click anything but you will see the plumbobs still spinning and your mouse is able to move.
What do you expect to see? I click on "Cook...", the menu opens instantly for options of what to cook.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Yes
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. The update for Spa Day has been downloaded, ever since I have had this issue.

This is what it looks like: 

Sims 4 Issue After Clicking Cook....png

Message 4 of 32 (12,182 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

@Keli2Kiwi: You say you use mods. Try testing without them? (Move your Mods folder to a safe place elsewhere on your computer, delete localthumbcache.package from The Sims 4 folder in Documents, and Repair the game in Origin.)

Also, I've read that TwistedMexi's Clean UI currently causes crashes if you try to cook while using it. EDIT: @CGrant56 told me on Discord that...

"Yeah, but getting the Cook, Bake, or Gourmet Cooking selection menus when you click on a fridge or even Open these days does take a lot longer if you have a full fridge I've noticed. Much longer in my game since CotL. There are more options on the fridge now too. CotL added a lot of stuff for the fridge too. And that color in the OP's post is what it does when the selection panels come up. The only time I've seen those thing be fast is with an empty fridge."

Still, testing without mods is a good idea, anyway. Wink

Message 5 of 32 (12,175 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

@TheMeganSims and @Keli2Kiwi : Do either of you use TwistedMexi's Clean UI mod? I've read that's currently causing crashes with cooking.

Also, @TheMeganSims , when you removed your mods, did you also delete the localthumbcache.package from The Sims 4 folder in Documents?

Message 6 of 32 (12,188 Views)

Gray Screen :(

★★★ Newbie

So, I have been trying every solve other than uninstalling.

My game loads in fine but when I play a household and try to interact with any object that has a menu it gray screens.

First started noticing it yesterday afternoon, when I clicked on the fridge and tried to select 'Cook Healthy Meal' instead of pulling up the menu it just gray screens without the menu popping up.

I've done repairs multiple times, disallowed the Orgin overlay, deleted some outdated script mods, etc. 

Is anyone else having this issue? This is in addition to the fridge delay that I've seen posts on here about a few times so could it be related?

Message 7 of 32 (12,138 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Hi @StarryMight I do not use that mod; the only mods I use are MCCC & then B/B objects. 

I found that package file and removed it and am now able to Cook; there is still a significant lag though; I sat and actually timed a 6 second delay on it opening up. 

Thank you for this fix for now Standard smile

Message 8 of 32 (12,172 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

@TheMeganSims: Good to hear that! Deleting localthumbcache whenever you add, remove, or move mods and CC is good practice.

By the way, I discussed this on Discord, and @CGrant56 told me...

"Yeah, but getting the Cook, Bake, or Gourmet Cooking selection menus when you click on a fridge or even Open these days does take a lot longer if you have a full fridge I've noticed. Much longer in my game since CotL. There are more options on the fridge now too. CotL added a lot of stuff for the fridge too. And that color in the OP's post is what it does when the selection panels come up. The only time I've seen those thing be fast is with an empty fridge."

Message 9 of 32 (12,169 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

It's definitely Mod or CC related, I turned off CC and script mods in-game because for some reason when I try to transfer my Mod folder out of my Sims 4 folder it says that something is still running in another tab (there's nothing open), also I don't have TM Clean UI but I do have T.O.O.L downloaded along with BetterBuildBuy. The shaders (kindle spice dove) I have downloaded do cause slowness but never crashing so I'm just trying to figure out what is "open" with my CC.

Thank you and @CGrant56 !

Message 10 of 32 (12,153 Views)
sims-all-characters

Want more Sims?

Check out our Sims forums for tutorials and all things Sims.

View more

ts4-promo

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

ts4-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help