Re: Create Helmetless players

by Atishksingh

Original Post

★★★★ Guide

Really hoping for a patch for this soon.

Message 11 of 108 (1,548 Views)

★★★★ Guide

We needs this for NHL 23 for sure 

Message 12 of 108 (1,491 Views)

★★★★ Guide

I don't imagine they will patch it in, easy as it may be.  I was arguing 5 years ago that while actual players should be required to wear helmets for safety, virtual players don't matter and they can even simulate the amount of extra damage it may do to them.  It may be their insistence upon doing whatever the NHL is doing right now at all times or it may have to do with complications of figuring out which players in real life may opt to play helmetless if given the chance - the last player to play without one was in 1997 and nowadays it is rare to see a player without a visor too.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/just-small-group-visor-less-players-remaining-nhl/

I do have some players that I would like to see without one though - and I was a bit dismayed to see players lose their helmet in hits and skate immediately back to the bench when not in the CHL.

Message 13 of 108 (1,465 Views)

★★★ Guide

I'm not sure what rule(s) they're following as they have included a lot of Alumni players that are helmet-less.  Since they didn't include some famous helmet-less Alumni players such as Bobby Orr and Bobby Hull they should allow us to accurately create them within the CAP section.  The last names are there for the game-play so it should be no surprise that we all want to create those legends and more who didn't wear a helmet back then.  Since it's all a fantasy simulation I don't think it's a stretch to allow us to accurately re-create them on the ice.  Just my opinion.

On another topic, we've asked for vintage goalie masks for the CAP section for years now.  It's frustrating to see no option for that while we watch cut fan scenes after a goal that include fans wearing multi-colored team vintage goalie masks.  That's a cruel tease IMHO.

Be well and have a great day!  Cheers!

Message 14 of 108 (1,448 Views)

★★★★ Guide
@T2HD Or they could go back 100 years to when even goalies didn't wear anything on their heads and commonly lost teeth. The ettiquette was to not shoot above the ice if you could help it back then. I think it was the 50s when goalies started wearing the face masks even.
Message 15 of 108 (1,442 Views)

★★★ Guide

I'm not sure what rules or history EA is following when deciding who does or doesn't wear vintage goalie masks.  In 1959 Jacques Plante was the first goalie to wear a facemask.

https://www.vintag.es/2020/03/jacques-plante.html?m=1

About three years later Terry Sawchuk with the Red Wings also decided to wear a similar mask.

https://www.nhl.com/redwings/news/sawchuk-was-red-wings-first-goalie-to-don-a-full-facemask/c-503880

Interestingly, neither of these goalies are wearing a vintage goalie mask when several others from their era are wearing a vintage mask (all within the Alumni teams).

This is why EA must provide us with the option to create or modify existing players to wear the vintage goalie masks.  It's all towards realism and the history/authenticity of the game.

Sounding like a broken record here, but it's really frustrating to see the cut scenes after a goal and see fans wearing multi-color vintage goalie masks in the stands!

There's simply no reason we can't have those.  They used to be in the XBOX 360 "Legacy Edition" version of this game within the CAP section.  Check out this pic showing the options!

They really need to bring these back.  They patch the game and add all sorts of other gear.  This should be a MUST HAVE option!  I'd be willing to pay for an add on vintage gear item too!!

NHL Legacy Edition - XBOX 360.jpg

I hope the moderator passes this info on the team.  They can and should fix these issues!  We've been asking for years for the helmet-less player option and the vintage goalie masks.

Cheers!

Message 16 of 108 (1,430 Views)

★★★★ Guide
@T2HD Well said and I agree and hope
23 will have all these features
Message 17 of 108 (1,412 Views)

★★★ Guide
@Atishksingh Thanks so much! I hope they patch it for NHL 22 though versus having us wait yet another year. I know I've asked for three years now. EA, please don't make me wait yet another year. Thank you! Cheers!
Message 18 of 108 (1,401 Views)

★★★★ Guide
@T2HD I don't think I'm buying 22 this year anyways. I have a hood season ongoing in my NHL 21 right now.

I have no problem waiting a year to get a PS5 but ONLY IF NHL 23 meets some of my personal
requests like the helemtless players option.
Message 19 of 108 (1,394 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

@AtishksinghI can appreciate that. I spent a great deal of time creating players for my Alumni rosters within NHL 21. I bought NHL 22 and I have to say that I'm pleased with all of the last names that are now in the gameplay that weren't there last year. I'm puzzled why "Barrasso" still isn't in the database though. 2nd all time veteran for the Pens. Won the Cup twice. His name belongs in the database IMHO. Now if they'd only add the helmet-less player option and vintage goalie masks. Standard smile

Also, note to the Moderator to be passed on please, please allow the rosters that we create in NHL 22 to be imported into NHL 23 and on. It's a pain to re-create these rosters year after year. Thank you!!

Message 20 of 108 (1,389 Views)