Re: tile blocking

by punishertrd

Original Post

tile blocking

★★★★ Guide

this needs to stop im seeing people shift back and forth between tiles and my units cant even get on one of the empty ones this is some dow right dirty playing 

even my "fast" units cant even get on it this needs to stop and be patched 

Message 1 of 7 (422 Views)

★★★ Guide

But people do this all the time.  It's a great tactic against a unit that can't move and fire.  A great way to keep them from getting on the pad.  You can hold off a whole bike rush with a single War dog!

It's the essence of micro in this game - so I don't know what to say other then from a realism point of view it doesn't make ANY sense, of course.  The reality of it is that jaunting back and forth in war while an enemy was firing on you would be a death sentence. 

So, I take it back - perhaps I would agree that if a unit plants and begins firing - while another unit is walking across it's field of fire - it should probably take additional damage.  Maybe enough to make microing like that a bigger gamble.  In other words - every unit is a tiny bit like the tick tank, in this way.  Would make retreating units more vulnerable too - which would be realistic.

My agreement with part of this not withstanding... it's a game about skill, not RL, and I'm not even sure I'd want my own suggestion!  LOL.

Message 2 of 7 (410 Views)

★★ Guide
When I think about "micro" I think about moving units along a specific path, making sure they have the right facing, etc. Focusing your attention on one unit at the expense of all others to move it back and forth across two tiles isn't really micro.

One solution would be that any unit already on a platform tile and moving does not count for platform control. So if you take one of your units and you move it back and forth it will still block, but it will not control the platform. If you want control you'll need a second unit on the third space. At this point you'd be able to block at least two tiles anyways.

This would also fix the issue with flying suicidal air units across platforms to change control.
Message 3 of 7 (380 Views)

★★★ Guide

I agree with some of this too.

Especially the fly over...  If it's about controlling the missile platform - a unit jaunting across the corner of it is not controlling anything.

I will work with the way the system is - whatever advantage like that your opponent might have - you do to.  I won't deny flying a drone or banshee over to the opposing sides platform for a cheap win.

However - for the sake of, I don't know - making any kind of sense (at all) I'll have to agree it's pretty silly the way it is now.  As EVA says  'Establishing Battlefield Command' a brief fly over isn't establishing anything.

Message 4 of 7 (375 Views)

★★★★ Guide
like i said this needs to stop is kinda a form of cheating and its starting to become more rampid
Message 5 of 7 (363 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

its not cheating, its strategy...

Message 6 of 7 (318 Views)

★★★★ Guide
then more damage need to be done to moving units
Message 7 of 7 (294 Views)