game settings age up sims

by gandalfwhite69

Original Post

Accepted Solution

game settings age up sims

★★★ Novice

I have difficulty understanding the Game Options>Game Play>Auto Age Up Sims setting. There are two options - Auto Age Up Sims with Yes, No, and Only Active Household options; and Auto Age Up (unplayed Sims). If I have every one of my households set to Auto Age Up Only Active Household, do I want the Auto Age Up unplayed Sims box checked or unchecked? If so, how is that different from selecting Auto Age Up Sims Yes option?

Jeff

Message 1 of 7 (1,527 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: game settings age up sims

[ Edited ]
Champion

@gandalfwhite69, I agree it is a bit confusing, but the way I understand it is that the first option is for Sims you play and the second option is for Sims you have never played.

So, for the first option, let's say you make a family and play it for a while, but then decide to play the Goth family that came with the game for a bit (but all on the same Save Game) -- this is rotational play, and by choosing to have Auto Aging off it should prevent your Sims that you play from being automatically aged up when you aren't actively playing them!  Standard smile  So if you return to your original family and it would be time for little Cassandra or Alexander Goth's birthdays, this won't happen until you play them.  But I usually just play each family on its own Save Game to prevent myself from any mix-ups  -- and mostly because I'm a control freak with my Sims! EmbarrassedLarge smile 

With the second choice I'm a bit unclear exactly on which Sims you don't play are included since I always have this setting off Embarrassed  But I'm pretty sure it includes NPC Sims such as the mail carrier, repairman/woman, or other Sims roaming around your neighborhoods without a home, but possibly other Sims you don't play that live in a home that you can choose to play.  So if you have you have never played (for example)  the Goth home, then it is possible they might age automatically, but again I'm not sure about that since I haven't tested it out yet! Oops

I think I will do a test of this, since I am now curious. Nerd   I just hate the idea of relinquishing control on my Sims FrownLarge smile  

Also, if I remember correctly you can invite a Sim you aren't playing over and age them up with a birthday cake.  I haven't done this in a while, but it is handy if you want your children's friends to age up with your child and teen Sims! Wink

Happy Simming! Party hat

Edit to say, I'm sorry-- I was typing this as jpkarlsen was answering! Oops Large smile

CCP Champion Banner - Red.png

View in thread

Message 3 of 7 (1,506 Views)

All Replies

Champion (Retired)

Auto age up Sims Yes is essentially the same as having all the others set to Yes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 2 of 7 (1,510 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@gandalfwhite69, I agree it is a bit confusing, but the way I understand it is that the first option is for Sims you play and the second option is for Sims you have never played.

So, for the first option, let's say you make a family and play it for a while, but then decide to play the Goth family that came with the game for a bit (but all on the same Save Game) -- this is rotational play, and by choosing to have Auto Aging off it should prevent your Sims that you play from being automatically aged up when you aren't actively playing them!  Standard smile  So if you return to your original family and it would be time for little Cassandra or Alexander Goth's birthdays, this won't happen until you play them.  But I usually just play each family on its own Save Game to prevent myself from any mix-ups  -- and mostly because I'm a control freak with my Sims! EmbarrassedLarge smile 

With the second choice I'm a bit unclear exactly on which Sims you don't play are included since I always have this setting off Embarrassed  But I'm pretty sure it includes NPC Sims such as the mail carrier, repairman/woman, or other Sims roaming around your neighborhoods without a home, but possibly other Sims you don't play that live in a home that you can choose to play.  So if you have you have never played (for example)  the Goth home, then it is possible they might age automatically, but again I'm not sure about that since I haven't tested it out yet! Oops

I think I will do a test of this, since I am now curious. Nerd   I just hate the idea of relinquishing control on my Sims FrownLarge smile  

Also, if I remember correctly you can invite a Sim you aren't playing over and age them up with a birthday cake.  I haven't done this in a while, but it is handy if you want your children's friends to age up with your child and teen Sims! Wink

Happy Simming! Party hat

Edit to say, I'm sorry-- I was typing this as jpkarlsen was answering! Oops Large smile

Message 3 of 7 (1,507 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thanks PugLove888! Your reply cleared things up for me. I realized that this setting existed only after my adult Sims in one household became senior citizens before their children became adults! Now I just have to hope that they don't die before the youngest becomes an adult. Should be interesting to see what happens there. Maybe the child Sim will have to be adopted?

Jeff

Message 4 of 7 (1,496 Views)

Champion

@gandalfwhite69, if the child is a teen, they can still live by themselves, or even raise younger children.  I have a teen boy raising is little sister in one of my Save Games! Heart  I had to have him have a part time job and they live very frugally.  But a child Sim can't live by themselves. I've never had it happen, but I've heard from other people say that you can't play that household anymore.  I don't think the Social Worker actually comes to the home, but If it ever happens in one of my games I will pretend that the child (or pet!) would be put up for adoption.  Devil

If you want to prevent this from happening, there are a couple of things you can do:

1.) You can turn auto aging off (you can always turn it back on at any time).  

2.) You can also create a separate Save Game for that family by clicking "Save As..." (instead of "Save" ) and naming it something new so that you can still play your other family.  (This is what I do about 98% of the time!) However, if you do this, this separates your 2 families in different games.  Using the example of a family you made and the Goth family in the game, If you make the Goths have a separate save, you would use the Goth save to play the Goths and the other save to play the family you made.  If you play with the Goths in your family's save, or your family in the Goth's save, it would be like having a parallel universe! Large smile I hope this makes sense! Embarrassed

3.) You could also look to see if there is a Mod out there that would affect aging, but you have to be careful with Mods and update them when the game is patched (otherwise the Mods will mess up your game).  I'm too lazy to do all the maintenance required for Mods, so I don't use them! EmbarrassedLarge smile

Basically, I recommend suggestion #1 or # 2, (or of course you can just throw caution to the wind and just let those Sims age up automatically.)  Wink  Either way, the choice is yours! Party hat

Message 5 of 7 (1,489 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@gandalfwhite69, since I had never had it happen before in my game, I tested what happens to a child when there is no one older to take care of him.  I mad a single dad and his son *they later adopted a cat) and I ran a test where I had the dad die from the excessive heat from the hot Summer day (he wasn't wearing his hot-weather clothes!)  Once the Grim Reaper came and took him, the tombstone appeared and I got a pop-up message that stated GAME OVER Raised eyebrow and then proceeded to explain that the little boy would be taken by Social Services, and that they would find a home for the cat as well!  No Social Worker actually showed up -- just the message.  However, it did give a choice to either:

1) Save the Game and go to Manage Worlds

2) Go to Main Menu

I chose Main Menu so I could continue playing the family from my last save. Standard smile This is pretty much what I had heard happens with a child that is orphaned in the game.  I'm just glad to have that option to go to the Main Menu without saving! Angel 

I have yet to experiment with playing with Auto Aging on.  But that was just to satisfy my own curiosity, since you have already done so.Thinking

Message 6 of 7 (1,428 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thanks for all of the info PugLuv88! I'm glad I provided an answer for you too. Thanks for doing all of the custom game play things to provide the answers. I'm sure it took a lot of time!

Jeff

Message 7 of 7 (1,368 Views)