Will NHL 21 Come Out For PC?

by jimmarshall

Original Post

Re: Will NHL 21 Come Out For PC?

Community Manager

@Benito218 

I'll pass on the suggestion.

This thread has 69 responses since January 1st. Many of those are repeat postings. If the PC demand were higher, most likely this thread would be a longer. I'm not saying there is no interest. There's just not as much of it as you may think.

Aljo.png
Message 71 of 323 (2,794 Views)

★ Novice

I understand there's a lot that goes into it. More than my knowledge of game design, but you're not some small studio either. You're a AAA studio. And hearing you say you'll pass on the suggestion of polling to see what people want because these obscure forums don't get many views and comments is disheartening once again. Perhaps EA should release the death grip on contracts with leagues so you can have competition and then maybe we'd get an NHL game for us PC players to play. 

Oh congrats on your record sales on Madden and FIFA by the way. I'm sure PC ports had something to do with it. 

Message 72 of 323 (2,898 Views)

@Beastwood22 

Well he's not refusing the idea, just putting the bug in the ear of people who can actually make the greatest impact. AHQ definitely isn't the right spot for a major poll and neither are the main forums if I'm being honest - I see the same exact people every time I log in there and the majority I bet don't give two goots about PC.

NHL isn't exclusive so anyone can make a hockey game. People even said they wouldn't care if they controlled a Blaine Gortzky, hockey is hockey; companies just dont want to take the giant risk when the sport doesn't sell well.

Lol Madden and Fifa are so immensely more popular than NHL its no wonder why they make more money. Soccer fans are insane, you can literally put anything in as mtx and they'll buy it - PC has very little to do with their earnings

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Don't be sad, this is just how it works out sometimes
Message 73 of 323 (2,858 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@TTZ_Dipsy You sound like a console player.
Message 74 of 323 (2,845 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

@EA_Aljo 

Why can't the team just put it on the xbox game pass PC beta so we can play it on PC and have cross play?  Surely that cannot be that hard to implement these days...Literally the only game I want to play that I can't is  NHL.  It is just not worth getting the console and xbox live for one game.

Message 75 of 323 (2,834 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Benito218 

I pretty much play on everything except Xbox but that doesn't really matter, at least not here. Normally I'd be the first one to jump on the let's hate on EA bandwagon but there is no way of really skirting around the fact they are right when it comes to PC demand.

The highest petition numbers in a single place have been roughly 20,000 (I've even voted yes we need PC NHL even though I definitely won't buy it for PC, just to help you out) - those are still too low. This time it's not on EA to just make it for the community, it's on the community to convince them it's worth it. I haven't seen the PC crowd really say anything other than "I want it so that means everyone wants it".

Small tests, a beta, help from the mod community - it all *could* work, and they should definitely try something if/when they have the time. As I've said before, if you want to be miserable like the rest of us (because it's not exactly like console NHL is the best it can be), than all the power to ya

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Don't be sad, this is just how it works out sometimes
Message 76 of 323 (2,830 Views)

Community Manager

@JayDaCuckSlayer 

If it were that easy, it would have been done. The truth is that porting the game to PC and setting up cross-play is a lot more involved. If this would be a good solution to get more people to play, we'd be doing it. I don't know how I can really stress this any better. We'd love to have the game on as many platforms as possible and are always looking for those opportunities when they make sense to do so.

Aljo.png
Message 77 of 323 (2,759 Views)

★★ Guide

They won't release NHL (or any other title for that matter) on play anywhere because it directly competes with their own platform, Origin.  If you look at the list of play anywhere titles there isnt a single EA game.  

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/xbox-play-anywhere

Of course NHL isn't available through Origin anyway but for EA they'd be cannibalizing their own platform by releasing a title essentially "for free" on Xbox through PC.  Even though by doing so that title would be available to more people and cross platform between PC and console.  Of course EA's own platform doesn't have all major EA titles either, so said title probably isn't available on PC anyway. And of course, let's not even get started of the marketing implications with Origin access and Xbox Game Pass.  So of course if that all doesn't make much sense you'd be rightly confused lmao.  Disappointed

How easy is it for developers to incorporate Play Anywhere/cross-play?

Ralph Fulton, creative director, Playground Games: It’s actually very easy. UWP is a great help with this. Because we’re using a single service – Xbox Live – and a single API, the code is almost identical between Xbox and Windows 10 versions. This makes it much cleaner and easier to write the code in the first place, and it’s then easier to maintain.

Source

Message 78 of 323 (2,750 Views)

Re: Do you want to see NHL on PC?

Community Manager

Hello, @Cookiefield2042.

I merged your post with a lengthy thread we already have about NHL on PC. Thanks for the feedback!

Aljo.png
Message 79 of 323 (2,736 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Calling hockey a niche sport imo sounds like ea is ignoring a entire country of pc gamers. Hockey is anything but niche in Canada. i understand the USA has a higher population then Canada. However calling it a niche sport when its the number one sport in Canada and its not even close shows that you market your company to a american market, which as a Canadian is extremely disappointing 

Message 80 of 323 (2,688 Views)