Re: Which units to shut down double harvester players?

by XPlayerJ

Original Post

★★★★ Guide

@Mister_Crac wrote:

@Trolloween wrote:

Well annoying just means you're doing what they don't want you to do, so not something you can avoid in any competitive game. If you didn't have that then every match would be a battle of who has the highest level tech units

Not true.

You could play the game for how it is actually designed to be played: Play for missile control. Fire two missiles at the enemy's base, done, endy story. The game itself though teaches you to always attack the enemy's harvester, which in some scenarios is sensible, but in others it is not.

Also, there is an extremly simple way to have always a fair matchup without level shenanigans: Give the two opponents the exact same units to fight with. Done.

Actually, that is not true. The game is NOT designed for missle control. The game is designed to destroy the others base. And you can do so without launching a single missle. 

Message 21 of 26 (360 Views)

★★★★ Guide

@Trolloween wrote:

Well we disagree then because I think the game design is to destroy the enemy base by any means you can come up with. So to take the missile pads you need resources, reducing your enemies resources is a strong strategy.if you can pull it off. 

Even if you changed the game to be the way you want you'd still just be annoyed by any tactic that beat you, hence being annoying is another way of saying a good/better player.

Even levels would be good but then EA wouldn't be making money, I'd rather it just be a game you buy and everyone is even but then maybe people would also get bored if they didn't get addicted to leveling units up, like the WoW lunatics. 

Beat me to it. Great response. 

Message 22 of 26 (360 Views)

★★★★ Pro

@Trolloween wrote:

Even levels would be good but then EA wouldn't be making money, I'd rather it just be a game you buy and everyone is even but then maybe people would also get bored if they didn't get addicted to leveling units up, like the WoW lunatics. 

That would be a good solution indeed, if we got rid of this "you need to level up your units" crap. It only leads to problems. So many people complain about unfair match-ups, and often rightfully so.

Message 23 of 26 (340 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Depending on the map say three pad or two pad the dual harvester is actually a liability....here’s why....you put your tanky units and turtle with proper  units where they need to be....say orca...not borca. Blocking for mg and talon you can hold a pad for a while..avatar does nothing to air...and mg squad with a healing drone is a force to be reckoned with....nod two banshees and gigantic cannon are pretty bad * 

Message 24 of 26 (330 Views)

@Mister_Crac wrote:

@Trolloween wrote:

Well annoying just means you're doing what they don't want you to do, so not something you can avoid in any competitive game. If you didn't have that then every match would be a battle of who has the highest level tech units

Not true.

You could play the game for how it is actually designed to be played: Play for missile control. Fire two missiles at the enemy's base, done, endy story. The game itself though teaches you to always attack the enemy's harvester, which in some scenarios is sensible, but in others it is not.

Also, there is an extremly simple way to have always a fair matchup without level shenanigans: Give the two opponents the exact same units to fight with. Done.

I disagree. If harvesters weren't able to be attacked or the base itself wasn't able to be attacked, the game would be based on who put outs the highest leveled units on the pads first as already said.

I don't use tech units. So far only infantry and air. I try to prevent those that rely on tech units that require double harvesters by killing their harvesters and dominating the pads. By doing that, I get the first missile. After that, they have to win 2 in a row.

Your way, there would really be no strategy at all and it would definitely be pay to win.

Message 25 of 26 (319 Views)

★ Guide

@Mister_Crac wrote:

When your opponent plays a double harvester deck but you play a single harvester deck, it is imperative to shut down their economy early on. Because if you don't, they will stomp you into the ground with their expenisve units once they can bring them out.

So, what units do you use in the early game to achieve that goal? I feel like I might not have the right setup right now for this, especially as GDI. Usually I open up with War Factory and then scout with War Dogs. However, War Dogs are pretty abysmal when fighting against anything - their damage output is just so low. So I'm wondering if maybe I should switch to Rhinos instead. Sure, they are more expensive, but they can actually deal with the Laser/Missile Troopers that often defend the harvesters early on.

Your thoughts?

I disagree with the statement which says you need to shut down your opponent early on.

I break down the game into 3 general phases:

Phase 1 - Early Game = Beginning of the game till 1st Missile Launch

Phase 2 - Middle Game = Aftermath of 1st Missile Launch till 2nd Missile Launch

Phase 3 - End Game = Aftermath of 2nd Missile Launch till 3rd Missile Launch

The strategy I use doesn’t need to pressure the Harvesters early on!

I have won countless of games with out having to do as you are saying!

My Phase 1 Strategy is the following:

• Scout with Riflemen to see what my opponent is up, too!
  • If I see my opponent going for 2 harvesters, I move my Riflemen to the Launch Pad.
  • I keep the Launch Pad charging above all else!

My way of punishing a double harvester isn’t by rushing it!

It is by pressuring my opponent with the long term threat of an impending Missile Attack on there Base!

• I begin to build other units to spread out my forces to all Launch Pad Area’s. 

Spreading out my forces onto all Launch pads is the perfect way to punish my opponent greediness to use 60 Tiberuim in the early game to build a 2nd harvester instead of units!

The ground units vs. the 2nd harvester would have been able to contest the Launch Pads more effectively!

However, the player got greedy!

• There greediness to go for 2nd Launch Pad early has resulted in there resignation of the Launch Pad Control + Forward Advancing Location’s.

It would be a total mistake to attack the opponent after they have gifted you all these advantages!

In fact, it hurts your chances of winning the game if you try to attack them!

WHY? Because it is a foolish uncoordinated attack!

I have seen people do this often with 1 unit which does absolutely nothing!

What do you think is going to happen?

You are rushing your unit by itself to there harvesters which 90% of the time is by there Base!

They will respond with a counter killing your unit.

An majority of the time you don’t get the harvester kill!

Than you find yourself with 1 harvester + 1 rifle + 1 dead unit vs. 2 harvesters + 1 unit they used as counter.

It is nothing more than a Tiberuim waste.

The goal should be to take advantage of the Launch + Forward position’s + Enemies lack of units to defend!

This will net you the first Missile!

This is when phase 2 begins!

Phase 2 Strategy:

You successful got the first Missile off hitting your opponent base!

This is when players will often start to be annoying!

They can harass your Base!

They can harass your Units!

They can harass your Harvester!

WHY DO THEY DO THIS? They do it because of 2 reasons:

1- They have “down time” because the 2nd Missile needs time to Charge!

You have spare time because it takes a couple mins for the 2nd Missile to get online.

What you going to do?

They going to attack the enemy while they are waiting!

Is it terrible to do this?

No, because most people want to win!

You are trying to pressure your opponent!

You are applying pressure by forcing them to deal with multiple threats!

They have to worry about the Launch Pad Missiles!

They have to worry about Coordinated Attack’s on units!

Your opponent my crack or slip up under the pressure!

They are only human.

The better player will keep a calm level head!

You stay focused.

You try not to get rattled.

You try to do favorable counters.

You try to keep up with the micro tactics.

The worst player will often begin to panic.

They can’t stay focused on everything.

They will lose units in unfavorable match ups.

They will not micro manage everything properly.

These gutter fights play a very important role on who will win or lose the game!

2- They want to change up units!

The next reason people like to fight during the 2nd Missile Charge is to upgrade units!

What does that mean?

Well in the beginning.

You don’t have a lot of Tiberuim built up.

Most times people have to settle with cheap early game units.

However, The middle game comes which also introduces more Tiberuim!

Your 1 harvester will have give you extra Tiberuim allowing you to get Middle Range Costing units!

The problem is you still have your early game units on the field!

The result is your in game population cap. is being hampered!

You can’t spawn new units as fast.

Your previous units are not as strong.

You would essentially like to replace them with slightly stronger units!

Well how do you replace units?

You have to kill off some of your weaker ones so you can make the stronger ones!

This is another reason people are eager to fight & Attack stuff.

Your opponent might not want to kill off your unit!

They might need you to persuade them into killing it!

Attacking a person Harvester is 1 sure fired way to get them to respond to them units.

Essentially, I do the above things till 2nd Missile Launch which if done successfully wins the game!

If I don’t win 2nd Missile vs. a Double Harvester Deck, I am often lost.

The tech units often overwhelm the game towards the 3rd Missile.

My Aggro deck tries to win before they come out.

Message 26 of 26 (282 Views)