What made BF1 so much more anti social? Spotting? Etc

by HiredRanger

Original Post

What made BF1 so much more anti social? Spotting? Etc

★ Guide

I am genuinely curious about the massive anti social effect of BF1 on PC.  It has literally killed some clans who have gone back a decade or more.   I think a lot of this is that the owned servers have no identity or meaning as there is little point to active management.  But the most noticable difference that manifests in game as far as I see it is that literally, hardly anyone spots. So I tend to focus on that as a very clear differentiation ( I dont have access to the actual data that shows how many BF clans literally disolved because people went off and did other things).   So in terms of the obvious lack of spotting. Why would this be? It is free points and makes it hugely more likely that the team that spots mosts wins (if hacks are out of the equation).

It is also free points and makes it more likely that if you did good damage but didnt quite finish off your man you will get the kill.

esting to me at least. 
Giving the overpowering reasons to spot.  Why do so few people actually do it?

Do spot as a matter of routine? Why?

Do you not see the need or just dont, why?  

If you have a long history of BF, I would be interested in your view of BF1.  I find it the most anti social of BF.  Little engagement, little leadership.  Usually a massively random effect where few people truly work together in any meaninful way.  Though when it happens, it is magic!.

Message 1 of 7 (1,018 Views)

Re: What made BF1 so much more anti social? Spotting? Etc

★★ Guide
Hello! @HiredRanger

This is a interesting take on Battlefield 1. Most points that you bring up I defiantly do agree with! At the start of Battlefield 1 I really didn't enjoy it and I said that the game felt very weird. My favorite Battlefield was Battlefield 4. So coming to this game felt very very weird to me. So like I said I agree with most of your points! But as the game was about a year in I really began to enjoy it and played it a lot as I am rank 150 now! So thank you for asking and putting input for Battlefield 1. Can't wait for Battlefield V!!

Thanks, Zoie
Message 2 of 7 (987 Views)

@HiredRanger

Some good points you brought up there, and nice to hear your opinion about that too. Standard smile

I could just say, they turned int a completely new direction with Battlefield 1, some things in a good way and some in a more bad way.

Just probably kinda late that we ask us this now. Wink
We might better look forward to Battlefield V and hope it's gonna be EPIC.
It'll make the whole Battlefield experience different.

CCP Hero Banner 1 Grande.png

Message 3 of 7 (962 Views)

Champion (Retired)
To be honest I haven't noticed any difference in the level of spotting in BF1 compared to other games in the series. Hardly anyone spots in BF1 and hardly anyone spotted in BC2, BF3, BF4, BF P4F. I guess if there is a difference then it could potentially be down to BF1 supposedly being aimed at more casual players that are probably less likely to spot.
Message 4 of 7 (950 Views)

Sure, the 3D spotting was also a big thing in previous titles already.
I feel it's ways more used in BF1 tho, byside that that we had a issue with that at the beginning of BF1, where the spotting function didn't work correctly.
And yea, BF1 is way more casual that the previous titles. Wink

But as we know at this point, for BFV we should not see the 3D spotting anymore!

CCP Hero Banner 1 Grande.png

Message 5 of 7 (940 Views)

Hero (Retired)

In terms of spotting, there are 3 main reasons why its amount could have gone down:

1) Passive spotting has been removed - in BF4, aiming down sights at someone was enough to show that person on the minimap. Not anymore.

2) Spotting cone has been narrowed down - in previous Battlefields, you could spot someone even without really aiming accurately at them. In BF1, spotting cone was narrowed down ~4 times to prevent a common thing from previous Battlefields - spot-spamming to find people you don't actually see.

3) Spamming spot function gives you a short cooldown that prevents you from spotting for a moment (for the same reason as 2)).

On why communities are a shadow of what they were in previous Battlefields, most of community leaders give extremely basic server tools as a reason. That's pretty much it.

---------------------------------------------------------------
If you think that someone's post helped you, feel free to press the 'Grant XP' button. If someone's instructions helped you solve your problem, please press 'Accept as Solution', so that other people with the same problem can easily find the solution in the future.

I am a volunteer moderator and I don't work for EA. All opinions expressed are my own.
Message 6 of 7 (932 Views)

Champion

I've seen clans tied heavily to servers die out in BF1 because the servers are rented instead of owned outright. I think that those servers are still alive and well in BF4. Going back to player owned servers may keep clans stay strong.

If you found this post helpful, please leave XP.
If you disagree, please leave a comment.
Either way, it helps to make the post more informative.

I like game design - from itty bitty bugs to big ideas.
I don't work for EA.

Join us on our Easter Egg hunt.
Message 7 of 7 (927 Views)