Unstoppable Nod

by FrozenFear80

Original Post

Unstoppable Nod

★ Novice

Anybody have any tips for fighting a Nod force comprised of Rockworms & Kane's Obelisk of Light? I might be a sissy, but these two combined don't seem beatable.

Message 1 of 4 (719 Views)

Re: Unstoppable Nod

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Apply pressure early and constantly, both of those things are very expensive and should rarely be reached in any sizable numbers. If you need examples of what I mean here I'd look at both my and sud's replays over in the replay thread.

Otherwise as far as counters go, banshees and orcas beat both quite effectively given that neither can hit air units, talons and hammerheads also use anti-air fire against obelisks, zone troopers and cyborgs wipe out rockworms. Rockworms also move slow enough that you can micro things out of the way of their unburrow or even block the point they are going to and force them to come up early. Missile/laser troops can also work in a pinch though of course not as effectively as zones/cyborgs. Jumpjets if you have them, the obelisk of course also falls to anti-structure units like the flame trooper. I can't in good conscience recommend Jade right now but it is worth noting that a catalyst missile will one shot an obelisk, as will the ion cannon on the GDI side of things (not the best use of an ion cannon blast, but in a pinch it works).

You can also just overwhelm the obelisk if you're ahead and have a fair number of vehicles nearby since its firing rate is fairly slow.

Message 2 of 4 (705 Views)

★★ Apprentice
I agree with Jade. Spam down their obelisk with Orcas or Seekers.Rockworms don't hit infantry all that hard so Rocket squads could work too.
Message 3 of 4 (682 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

obelisks got a lot of easy outs:

- send in a militant squad to take the first shot and seth power it

- catalyst missile cost efficiently kills it (80 for 150)

- ion cannon will down it and whatever's close by

- flying units with antiair attacks will use their aa attacks on it. This includes hammerheads.

- mlrs, disintegrator can contest it at range

- assassins like orcas and stealths work too, stealths best have a decoy unit to take the shot before it fires

rockworms are a bit of a pain, some ideas:

- contest the point with an air unit that the rock can't hit and focus on points that have things you can more easily defeat. As a bonus there is a bug where the air unit will keep shooting the rock when it tunnels. Rocks are slow and can't effectively move around except pad to pad to do their aoe, and their aoe friendly fires, so neutralizing the point with a venom, banshee, or talon is fine.

- assassins like orcas or stealths won't outright kill them, but can weaken them. Again for stealths a decoy is needed for best results.

- don't use medium/light armored units or slow units that die to the aoe. Missiles are too slow, but jumpjets can easily dodge and put damage on the rock.

- mlrs or artillery can work in theory but require tons of micro and predicting

- unless being spotted for by another unit, rocks are essentially blind while burrowing. Look where it's headed and make sure it isn't going to do a lot of damage. Move harvesters out of its range.

Message 4 of 4 (662 Views)