Units not following on attack command

by NBRAD333

Original Post

Units not following on attack command

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

If a unit is adjacent and you tell it to attack they follow, but from a distance they don't. I feel that if I command them to attack a spacific unit they should be attacking that unit until given different orders. If i want them to attack from a spacific place i will tell them to move to that space.

Either way it should be one or the other, not both!

Message 1 of 5 (752 Views)

Re: Units not following on attack command

★★★★ Apprentice

I agree with this, it's actually annoying that they won't follow their designated target when it moves. The only time it should stop attempting to engage a target that you specified is when you tell it too or if there is no viable path to follow.

Message 2 of 5 (732 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

To add to this, sometimes I wish to take a specific route to a location, in order to avoid tiberium damage, or maybe for a pincer attack, etc.

Currently the pathfinding has no intuitive way to allow me to micromanage the intended paths and ending locations for multiple units at once, or at least the current iteration can at times be incredibly frustrating.

Too much switching back and forth between units making sure the flame troopers aren't walking through the tib field unnecessarily on the way to the home hex, while making sure your bikes aren't shooting at the rocket infantry because the harvester moved and rocket inf were closest, while simultaneously spawning a new unit to deal with seths flame troopers burning down your base.

Issuing hard commands like double clicking for "stick to this unit" or "defend this area" would go a long way but I understand as a mobile game you are trying to keep controls simple and barrier to entry low. But just some food for thought. RTS NEEDS good control and pathfinding.

Message 3 of 5 (712 Views)

★★ Apprentice
To add to this, sometimes I wish to take a specific route to a location, in order to avoid tiberium damage, or maybe for a pincer attack, etc.

Currently the pathfinding has no intuitive way to allow me to micromanage the intended paths and ending locations for multiple units at once, or at least the current iteration can at times be incredibly frustrating.

Too much switching back and forth between units making sure the flame troopers aren't walking through the tib field unnecessarily on the way to the home hex, while making sure your bikes aren't shooting at the rocket infantry because the harvester moved and rocket info were closest, while simultaneously spawning a new unit to deal with seths flame troopers burning down your base.

Issuing hard commands like double clicking for "stick to this unit" or "defend this area" would go a long way but I understand as a mobile game you are trying to keep controls simple and barrier to entry low. But just some food for thought. RTS NEEDS good control and pathfinding.
Message 4 of 5 (718 Views)

★★★ Newbie

A quick and easy solution could just be to have the ability to hold a drag a path that you want your troops to follow so that you can have that specific path you need for your units to get into a position without being spotted or hurt along the way.

Also I like the idea of double tapping an enemy unit to have your unit follow and attack.

Message 5 of 5 (620 Views)