Re: Two suggestions to instantly improve game balance

by totorodc12345

Original Post

★★★★★ Guide

@iLikeToSnipe21 wrote:
@EinarThePillagerI'd love to support this game more. But I could either spend a day at Disney or get a new unit up to level 10. I've got no incentive to actually support this game yet.

One way of supporting it is creating an advertisement for the game. I was thinking of the best footage from the fiercest and most experienced players. Does anyone know how to create advertisements?

Message 11 of 22 (799 Views)

★ Guide

Half of everything you said is wrong.

1- The game always shows the maps!

Every league & Every event allows players the opportunity to see the maps which you will play on.

You can look at the maps in the inform tab prior to any fight.

2- Increasing the Deck Slot Size is a bad idea.

Increasing game balance comes at a cost.

The Cost is you sacrifice deck creativity.

If you were allowed to put every GDI unit in a deck, you would have 100% Balance.

But every deck would contain same units.

You would have no deck deviation or creativity.

Deck deviations & Deck creativity make things more interesting.

The game would be boring & repetitive if otherwise.

The only part of your discussion which was right was your Orca Bomber discussion.

The Orca Bomber is over powered and needs a nerf.

We have told the game about the over powered nature of the Orca Bomber for some time now.

We have told the game about the over powered nature of the Disruptor vs. Bases.

The game developers are simply slow.

They move at a glacier pace.

They have nerfed the Disruptor 3 times.

It has gone from killing a base in 3 hits.

to 3 hits & half.

to 4 hits.

The next nerf should be 4 hits & half.

Maybe, they will nerf the Orca Bomber in the same time frame.

Message 12 of 22 (768 Views)

★★ Guide
@XPlayerJ I don't know what league you're in, but it's definitely the case that some maps within the same league heavily favor other deck types over others. I mean, it's not like it's only one map per league. Of course some maps will be different in how a deck performs. This is especially the case in Tib league.

Of course having EVERY unit would be bad. That's not even anything like what I said. There are multiple units that are well balanced but are rarely used just because there's no room for them due to the deck size. Having one more slot will increase variety.
Message 13 of 22 (762 Views)

★ Guide

@iLikeToSnipe21 wrote:
@XPlayerJI don't know what league you're in, but it's definitely the case that some maps within the same league heavily favor other deck types over others. I mean, it's not like it's only one map per league. Of course some maps will be different in how a deck performs. This is especially the case in Tib league.

Of course having EVERY unit would be bad. That's not even anything like what I said. There are multiple units that are well balanced but are rarely used just because there's no room for them due to the deck size. Having one more slot will increase variety.

I never said some maps don’t favor specific decks.

The game has been reorganizing maps for certain leagues on purpose!

They do it to shift the meta.

I don’t think you are aware of them doing it on purpose so 1 Deck can’t reign supreme forever.

They try to get players to redesign decks to different maps.

This is why what your saying isn’t really going to happen.

The game make money when people use different units & change units for different maps.

Message 14 of 22 (754 Views)

★★ Guide

@XPlayerJ  We can both agree that certain maps favor certain decks. So if you're in a league with three maps that each favor a different deck... What happens if you randomly get a map that doesn't favor your deck (rather than the one that would favor your deck) and your opponent has the deck that is favorable to this map?

Do you not see how having maps within the same league that favor different decks adds luck as a component of victory? I am all in favor of having different maps to encourage different decks. But having this requires the ability to choose one of your three decks upon seeing the map selected. There are literally no downsides to choosing a deck after seeing the map. It adds another layer of strategy and removes another factor of luck from the game.

Not a single, successful RTS has had this problem in its ranked mode. If you were to have a desktop RTS with these random variables in its ranked mode, it would not be taken seriously and would fail. Honestly, I can't think of a single game with a ranked mode in any genre that does this.

Message 15 of 22 (723 Views)

★ Guide

@iLikeToSnipe21 wrote:

@XPlayerJ  We can both agree that certain maps favor certain decks. So if you're in a league with three maps that each favor a different deck... What happens if you randomly get a map that doesn't favor your deck (rather than the one that would favor your deck) and your opponent has the deck that is favorable to this map?

Do you not see how having maps within the same league that favor different decks adds luck as a component of victory? I am all in favor of having different maps to encourage different decks. But having this requires the ability to choose one of your three decks upon seeing the map selected. There are literally no downsides to choosing a deck after seeing the map. It adds another layer of strategy and removes another factor of luck from the game.

Not a single, successful RTS has had this problem in its ranked mode. If you were to have a desktop RTS with these random variables in its ranked mode, it would not be taken seriously and would fail. Honestly, I can't think of a single game with a ranked mode in any genre that does this.

Yes, the different maps add an element of luck, but it doesn’t mean I agree with you in allowing players to see maps pre-fight.

The favor of terrain can be against you, but you could be lucky as well and get it to benefit you.

This means both players share the same luck chance going into the fight.

In addition, I think the luck will statically balance out.

I believe you will have tons of chances to play in all the maps equally.

Message 16 of 22 (671 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Pro

@XPlayerJ wrote:

In addition, I think the luck will statically balance out.

I believe you will have tons of chances to play in all the maps equally.

At its core, what is C&C Rivals?

It is a simulation of warfare.

Now, it is not a 100% realistic simulation of warfare, and it does not have to be. Still, I agree with the people who say that luck/randomness is playing a too heavy role in this game. An RTS game should not be a crap shoot. C&C Rivals however is a crap shoot in many regards.

Message 17 of 22 (656 Views)

★★ Guide

@XPlayerJ 

I don't know how much experience you have in the RTS genre, why/how you play this game, etc; so I won't make any assumptions and just start at the basics.

The average player wants to win. That's their goal. They are going to do whatever they can to improve their odds at winning. Let's say you're in Tib league, that means you have EIGHT DIFFERENT MAPS that can be randomly selected. There are simply too many variables to build a deck around. The only variable you can count on is that you won't have a deck optimized for the map you're playing.

So if you want to win you have to focus on that one variable. You will want to build a deck that's balanced and has strategic/tactical options on any of the maps. This actually leads to a very stale meta. Tech units are not a good pick at all for a balanced deck. So they get left out and players end up focusing on the units you get from the war factory. Yes, you can run into some players who don't play that way. But if you're of equal skill and have a balanced deck you are most likely going to win. Your chances of losing go up when they get lucky and the map favors their deck over yours.

Having an option to pick from one of three decks you've built after seeing a map increases the variety of units that you can competitively use. The way maps affect deck choices goes beyond "aggro vs tech". Even as GDI there are some maps in Tib league that favor MG squads over snipers, and others that favor snipers over MGs.

Let me break this out into a list:

1. The majority of players play to win
  2. In order to win, you must have a deck that isn't crippled by the map you're playing on
  3. There is a large pool of maps that are randomly chosen
  4. Relying on a less than 50% chance that your specialized deck won't be crippled is a losing strategy
  5. Players will gravitate towards a singular meta leading to stale, boring gameplay

I hope this makes it clearer, but it's really simple. Random maps lead to choosing between a stale meta or relying on luck.

Besides, what's more entertaining? Immediately having the upper hand because you got lucky or pitting your skill against an opponent on a level playing field?

Message 18 of 22 (626 Views)

@iLikeToSnipe21 Best post of the month.
Message 19 of 22 (613 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★ Apprentice

Don’t b fool by some of the comments here. They are either EA staff or aligned to them in some way. This game is obviously not going to improve any better. Only thing would be to suck more money from you but do not deliver the best gaming experience. I hv made it my daily job to spread the news that this game is not worth your money. Take recently the resource challenge...cheats in majority of the matches. And the cheats is not from the players but from EA itself. What kind of cheats u may ask. Cheating u of your money by almost always matching you against players who always hv a deck that is superior to whatever deck you have. Outcome is to frustrate you enough hoping u will pay more to buy more decks. So all those commenters here who * about how to play and what strategy to win bla bla bla....my feedback is...if u can * pls allow me to feedback too. I hv played many EA games before....mostly C&C titles....this is by far the worse. If I am EA owner, this Rival team is the first I will sack for making many of your customers feel dissatisfied. My final advice...DO NOT SPEND ON THIS GAME. ITS NOT WORTH IT...ITS CHEATING YOU.

Message 20 of 22 (594 Views)