Re: Savage Rux 4/19/18

by Gormey

Original Post

Thoughts/opinions on the cacti vs pirates mystery portal

★ Guide
Hey guys, I'm just creating this post to get your opinions on this weeks mystery portal event. I for one feel that this is a pretty balanced mode compared to some of the past portals we have had. What variants are useful is pretty map dependent, and both sides generally have an even chance of winning.
Message 6 of 20 (896 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Expert

This event is fun...again they didn't ruin it with super speed or exploding *.  I think people are starting to learn that the Bandit Cactus shreds in this event, especially for small maps.  Pirates are borderline helpless at close range against that cactus.  7 thumbs up from Gormey on this one.  Only downside once again is punk team switchers from the losing team to the winning team and/or quitting when they are losing.

Message 1 of 20 (964 Views)

[ Edited ]

I've been enjoying it immensely.  This feels like one of the most balanced SMM in a while.  As usual, the map often favors one team over the other to some extent.  And there are so many newbs on each team that have no idea how to play these characters yet.  I've been pretty much just running the defaults as they are among my strongest characters anyway, but I've also rediscovered how fun sharkbite can be.

@JustCallMeTotal I've had little difficulty hip shooting those pirates when they get too close.

Tallnuts are a good idea for this one for blocking barrels, but I find it hard to give up my maidens for instant cover.

Message 2 of 20 (956 Views)

[ Edited ]
Anonymous

Although I quite enjoy the SMM, I must say that I don't find the characters that well matched, as the Pirates' are both close quarters and long-distance characters whereas the Cacti are practically all long-distance characters (even Petrified Cactus who was formidable at close to medium range has been nerfed in order to keep her more in-line with the sniping characteristics of the cactus range).   

As a case in point. I am starting all over again on a new account in attempting to reach max rank and have unfortunately only max-ranked my Bandit Cactus. This has put me at a definite disadvantage in the maps that favour long-distance sniping (On the other hand she is ideal in ZTech factory and Time Park).

I would think that apart from inexperience and the more wide-ranging characteristics of the Pirate range an additional reason the "newbies" are struggling is that they, as the case is for me as regards the cactus, haven't max-ranked their stock Pirate and Cactus characters.

I rather feel for them, as I too get taken apart. Not fun. 

Message 3 of 20 (943 Views)

@Anonymous wrote:

I would think that apart from inexperience and the more wide-ranging characteristics of the Pirate range an additional reason the "newbies" are struggling is that they, as the case is for me as regards the cactus, haven't max-ranked their stock Pirate and Cactus characters.

I rather feel for them, as I too get taken apart. Not fun. 

I'm a softy too, so I share the sympathy, but as my buddy says, "they've got to learn to git gud somehow!"

Message 4 of 20 (922 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Hitting Pirate's janky hitbox is hell, nevermind sniping the head with Cactus.

Cactus on the other hand is an EZ-PZ target, can't miss her and the headshots are easy.

Message 5 of 20 (902 Views)

Re: Thoughts/opinions on the cacti vs pirates mystery portal

★★ Guide

Just my opinion here on the current mystery portal event

- loooong, sloooow, mode. The games I've been were not full, more like 4 vs 4 and it took a long time to complete

- slight advantage goes to the pirate because of his movement, despite the limpy peg leg

Not a fan of this event.  I just want my rainbow stars and be done with it.

Message 7 of 20 (871 Views)

[ Edited ]
Anonymous

I'm lifting my (edited) comments on the mystery portal from Thursday's "Savage Rux" post which to a large extent covers peoples' opinions on the portal, but I recognize that for future reference it's practical to be able to search on the portal event directly. I quote:

Although I quite enjoy the event,  I don't find the characters that well matched, as the Pirates are both close quarters and long-distance characters whereas the Cacti, with the exception of Bandit Cactus, are practically all long-distance characters (even Petrified Cactus who was formidable at close to medium range has been nerfed in order to keep her more in-line with the sniping characteristics of the cactus range).   

I have unfortunately only max-ranked my Bandit Cactus who is at a definite disadvantage in the maps that favour long-distance sniping. On the other hand, she is ideal in the ZTech factory and Time Park maps where I was far more successful.

In general, the more wide-ranging characteristics of the Pirate range give them an advantage and I found myself tending to attack as a Pirate, whereas I was far more defensive as a Cactus in order to bring my Potato mines into play. But of course, it also depends on who one is up against. I (and being of low rank) spent a lot of my time up against a team comprising 5 or 6 max-rankers which undoubtedly forced me into that particular gaming mode.  

Message 8 of 20 (866 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

Particularly enjoyed this immensely, though it is albeit slower than other vanquish modes. I am on the opposite end though, with pirates having slight disadvantages as the models are easy to perceive whether someone is in ads or shotgun form plus cactuses would set up certain defensive spots on the map. Most games were really player dependent on which teammates contributed the most to match as the games I played were usually down to the wire. Though there were 4 full matches where both teams decided to go petrified/cannon only and that was pretty even.

Message 9 of 20 (846 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Balanced? Somewhat.

Map dependent? Yes. Especially for tactics. How do you counter a barrel heading towards you? Make a base at a one-way area, place a few potato mines, and if they're heading your direction, drop a wall to make them park over the minefield. Boom!

Enjoyable? From my experience, no. Too long of a match, typical repetitive experience of 3 against 7, and players almost always went to the same exact spots in certain maps.

Message 10 of 20 (850 Views)