Re: This is how much it costs to level up a unit

by wwfyin

Original Post

This is how much it costs to level up a unit

★★ Guide

Let's settle this once and for all. No more opinions, just math. All these numbers are assuming you are at max XP level of 60.

tl;dr

• $24 to level up one unit to level 10
  • $48 to level up one unit to level 11

These prices are also assuming that you get EXACTLY the cards you need in each crate you buy. That obviously does not happen, but it should average out on paper for your entire army. If you want to level up only certain units this number gets much worse. Anyways, here's the math.

Epic Crate

• Costs 600 Diamonds
  • Avg 2000 Credits
  • 97 Common Cards
  • 42 Rare Cards
  • 10 Epic Cards

Colossal Crate

• Costs 2500 Diamonds
  • Avg 8500 Credits
  • 414 Common Cards
  • 178 Rare Cards
  • 44 Epic Cards

When you compare how much you get for the amount of diamonds each crate costs the Colossal Crate is a better value. But it's only better by ~4% or so.

200 Diamonds costs $1.99 for an approximate transaction rate of 100.5 diamonds per dollar. 15,000 diamonds costs $99.99 for an approximate transaction rate of 150 diamonds per dollar. I will be using the latter exchange rate since it gives you "the best value".

So for each 150 diamonds we need we're paying $1. We'll be using just Epic Crates for this which cost $4 a crate if you go with the 15K diamonds.

Alright, we've got our diamond to dollars rate, now let's look at diamonds to cards and credits. With the Epic Crate for level 60 here's what you get per diamond:

• 3.33 credits
  • 0.16 common cards
  • 0.07 rare cards
  • 0.02 epic cards

Now, here's what it takes to level up a unit.

Level 10:

• 12,000 credits (4,000 per training level)
  • 600 common cards
  • 180 rare cards
  • 30 epic cards

Level 11:

• 24,000 credits (8,000 per training level)
  • 1,000 common cards
  • 300 rare cards
  • 60 epic cards

I'm not sure how to do tables on these forums, so this is gonna be kind of messy.

Level 10:

• 3600 diamonds for credits needed
  • 3711 diamonds for common cards
  • 2571 diamonds for rare cards
  • 1800 diamonds for epic cards

Level 11:

• 7200 diamonds for credits needed
  • 6186 diamonds for common cards
  • 4286 diamonds for rare cards
  • 3600 diamonds for epic cards

Now, let's got back to our rate of 150 diamonds per dollar. Looking at the diamonds needed for each, credits is greater or about equal to any of the other three categories. So to make this simpler, we'll assume that we just need to get the credits from crates and will get the cards we need.

Level 10: 3600 D / 150 DP$ = $24

Level 11: 7200 D / 150 DP$ = $48

Each unit you want to upgrade to Level 10 costs $24 and each one you want to upgrade to Level 11 costs $48. To upgrade a unit from Level 9 to Level 11 (two levels) would cost you $72. For comparison, Read Dead Redemption 2 a hotly anticipated AAA open world game costs $60 at launch.

I've been reasonably polite in my posts so far. Stop ripping us off EA. It's a load of * that leveling up a single unit twice has more value than a brand new AAA game. This is a scam and everybody involved in the production, development, and management of this game ought to be ashamed and embarrassed to even be associated with it.

You want to make this game P2W? Fine, do that, it's your game. But at least don't prey on people with addictive behavior and rip them off. Make the prices at least somewhat reasonable. Nobody should be putting hundreds of dollars into this game.

Message 1 of 34 (2,867 Views)

★★★★ Guide

well done sir

well done 

Message 2 of 34 (2,850 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

For sure. The costs of upgrading units from purchasing crates is ridiculous. But keep in mind, the developers get very little say in the matter. This is up to the marketing team. The rest get to suck it up. So to blame everyone involved isn't quite fair. 

Another thing to point out is everyone is up in arms about how they lost because the other guy must have paid. But as you pointed out, it is SO expensive to pay for a SLIGHT level advantage... Who is honestly going to shell that much out? Only a very select few. 

Lastly, to those who don't mind spending, many players have pointed out 2 things: 

1) The order of crates you get from convoys is not random. There is an order of 150 crates at which point it loops back to the beginning. I think there is something like 5 epic crates in those 150? Don't quote me on that last bit. But roughly 50,000 credits from all 150.

2) If you were to rush every crate, it is 3,600 diamonds, and it is several times MORE valuable than buying crates directly.

But that is the trade off. Play the game for hours/days/weeks and rush crates for cheaper, or log in, swipe your card and level up now. You are paying quite a bit for the now bit.

Message 3 of 34 (2,841 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
Great work with the math! This helps shed more light onto what's really going on with this pathetic, predatorial game. I wrote a review this morning with a similar goal:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Game-Information/The-Jig-is-Up-An-honest-review-from-a-fan-who-gave-it-an-...

Hope more people wake up before it's too late.
Message 4 of 34 (2,826 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

According to the Clash of Clans wiki the total cost of upgrading everything is 1,688,882 gems which works out to be $12,068.77. Now that is assuming you have 2,860d 5h 7m to spare because the cost estimate is for build only and does not take into account speeding any of the build times up.

in order to max out every card in the clash royale it would cost you at least 20 700 US dollars.

Just curious why sup erc ell can do it and nobody blinks an eye, but if rivals wants to charge to get units better than most free to play tiberium players everyone loses their minds.

Message 5 of 34 (2,816 Views)

★★ Guide
  1. This is the C&C Rivals forum. I have never played Clash and do not intend to. So my criticism is focused squarely on this game.
  2. What Clash of Clans does is wrong.
  3. What C&C Rivals does is wrong.

This business model is wrong, it exploits people, and it is not consumer friendly. There are other tried and true microtransaction systems that aren't P2W or minimize the P2W aspect so well you don't even notice it.

Also, just because one person does something wrong doesn't mean it's okay for somebody else to do it. That's how kids and politicians think.

Message 6 of 34 (2,804 Views)

★★★ Novice

"Also, just because one person does something wrong doesn't mean it's okay for somebody else to do it. That's how kids and politicians think."

😆  Don't forget cable news anchors.🤣

Message 7 of 34 (2,730 Views)

[ Edited ]

I'm too lazy to do all the math myself so i'm perfectly fine believing everything in your post. I'm a little worried about trying to level specific units but hopefully it works out alright. Well done mate

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Don't be sad, this is just how it works out sometimes
Message 8 of 34 (2,693 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
After the unit reaches level 10, the game enters nightmare mode.
Message 9 of 34 (2,665 Views)

★ Apprentice

@iLikeToSnipe21...or... just do the simple grind?

Nobody is saying you have to hit maxed card levels to enjoy the game. I say this from the perspective of a casual gamer, of course. If you're professional, then one would assume that this is just the cost required to run your business.

That said, one thing that Supercell does well is to cater to almost all the demographic of gamers. They have ladder which is level uncapped, then they have events that are level capped. While EA tries to do that with their event capped to leagues, i feel that there is more to be done in that area, like a universal level cap for events. 

In any case, I continue to be cheap, pay what is necessary (if at all), slowly enjoy the journey and casually enjoy my game. Standard smile

Message 10 of 34 (2,601 Views)