Things NHL 20 needs for a smooth launch

by TTZ_Dipsy

Original Post

Things NHL 20 needs for a smooth launch

[ Edited ]

First and foremost, I want to state I am mainly an EASHL player since I don't like how HUT is run so some ideas might not apply to other players.

Sugarcoating it the best I can, NHL has been an absolutely infuriating experience, to say the least; it's been this way for years so I wanted to take the opportunity to list a tiny fraction of complaints I and many others have had with "Chel" for almost the last decade. Some of these seem like no-brainers, but the team has honestly failed to deliver on many ends.

Some devs feel personally attacked when players vent which is definitely wrong, but some have also lashed out to the community stating it's their own fault for "not knowing how hockey works". I want to point out there is a massive difference between hockey the sport, and a hockey videogame so, for now, this post will be more about the UI/coding/player experience etc. instead of other game mechanics.

Fast menus and loading - Been absolutely awful these last few years

Streamlined/condensed menus -
You had to jump through so many hoops to buy/sell cards in HUT and things like hockey bags involved a ton of back-tracking

Keep the AI away from the net -
You always claim to fix this and you NEVER do. For the love of God, they mess everything up when they zoom into the goalie. PLEASE!

NO MORE KNEE-je rk UPDATES THAT BREAK CHEL -
Seriously, it's always 1 step forward, 3 steps back when you do this; it breaks the game. launch tuners are some of the best hockey around, so damn good, then you begin to degrade quality with every. single. patch. Please don't start changing things without heavy feedback from regular players, not the HUT Twitchers who do unboxings.

Improved goalie AI -
No more freaking out and spinning around. Most importantly, allow them to learn to stop these awful cheese goals

Streamline customization features for EASHL teams -
At least add an "apply to both" option for home/away jerseys. Check this more detailed post I made in the forums: https://forums.ea.com/en/nhl/discussion/236671/eashl-customization-streamlining#latest

IMPROVE YOUR AWFUL SERVERS -
Honestly, why is it so hard to match up AND have a good connection with players? (Most of us are wired and fibre optic, It is NOT on our end the majority of the time).

I know others have concerns so feel free to post anything you want to see at or around launch to make sure your experience is the best it can be.

Suggestions from others:

- PC port would have helped (Confirmed not going to happen this year)

- More couch play options (ONES will get this; unsure of other modes)
- Practice mode (EASHL) - Confirmed not gonna happen

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Don't be sad, this is just how it works out sometimes
Message 1 of 11 (1,566 Views)

Re: Things NHL 20 needs for a smooth launch

★★★ Novice

Bringing it to PC would help with a good launch as well

Message 2 of 11 (1,524 Views)

@HebrewLantern 

You didn't think they'd actually make a PC version when they said they 'might do it in the future' did you?

Message 3 of 11 (1,515 Views)

★★★ Novice

To be able to create own leagues and tournaments for couch play (or let online friends join).

For instance have 6 teams, with the possibility to play against each other, like 2 times (one home one away).

After that, playoffs with finally a winner.

To keep track of all stats and everything including possible injuries.

Currently, u need to keep track of standings and stats on paper or create your own app for it, like we've done.

Please bring this back. Been missing this since 2006, when this was possible to to for the last time.

NHL06 on Xbox Standard smile

Message 4 of 11 (1,439 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

@TTZ_Dipsyhi,

can i ask you what do you call "cheese goal" please? I understand what is cheese (French here :-)), but a cheese goal...

i agree with you with the menu, the back and return are awful.

For the Online mode,  i can't tell, i don't play online.

I have to agree that a PC port should be welcome, hope so, in (near) future (nhl20?)

Thanks.

François

Message 5 of 11 (1,396 Views)

@gogol0311 Hey mate.

Cheese goals (some people call them glitch goals even though they do not technically glitch the game) are when you exploit the ai for a nearly guaranteed goal. These are low skill goals that a lot of teams start relying on to win games.

So, for example, in 19 you just had to go backhand, forehand, and then backhand when on a breakaway to score 90% of the time on a goalie.

In the old Genesis games, you just had to cut across the goalie to score very easily.

NHL 18 got to a point where almost any short-side shot went in the net as long as you cut into the centre of the ice a bit.

Message 6 of 11 (1,388 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
@TTZ_Dipsy hi,

Thanks a lot, i was not aware of this, i will use this to win my game now...If i can. Thanks a lot for the answer.
Message 7 of 11 (1,377 Views)

★ Novice

As an EASHL lover myself and to add to your suggestions mentioned, I would really IMPLORE EA to include some type of practice mode in EASHL so that you and your club members can actually get some chemistry going. I cannot tell you how many years its been where one of my teammates on offense is terrible at reading and reacting to making passes, one timers, positioning, etc... I try to explain to them what they need to do, where they need to be, stick movement, etc... but during a ranked match they don't pay attention to any team suggestions, the light bulb takes forever to go off, if at all, and thus we never fully develop that team chemistry... really would like to see team club practice mode included this year!

Message 8 of 11 (1,353 Views)

@Hail2ThaKingA7X 

Lol, I know exactly what you're talking about as I have the same type of player on my team; they mean well and, while they do make a good brick wall on defence, some polish on the game's mechanics definitely wouldn't hurt. We used to be able to practice with our team, didn't we?

Message 9 of 11 (1,346 Views)

★ Novice

IDude it’s the worst lol they mean well but it’s like taking to a wall and I’ve  only been playing since NHL 15 I don’t recall them having a club practice mode since then...maybe in years  prior? But I’m glad someone understands my frustration lmao

Message 10 of 11 (1,337 Views)