The elephant in the room that is crowd control.

by Xbob42

Original Post

The elephant in the room that is crowd control.

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

Hi.  I made this post over at Reddit, but someone suggested to also post it here to increase the chances that Popcap might see it.  As I say within the post, I do not claim to be some master of game design, but as someone who is way deep into tons of competitive games (Including Garden Warfare 1 and 2) I can tell you a thing or two about what keeps a player, at least a player like me, interested.  The post references Rose, but nearly the entire thing could also be applied to the Imp's crowd control as well.

Quoting myself from that thread:

----------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, it's insane.

When Rose's gigantic AOE super debuff hits you, the following takes place:

• EVERYONE within the deathsphere has all of their active abilities disabled
  • All other abilities are completely disabled
  • Turn radius is dropped to unbearably slow levels
  • Movement speed is so low it is effectively 0
  • Leaving the sphere does NOT remove the effect

This, combined with homing shots (often ones that leave fire debuffs and whatnot on you) is completely insane. Then she can go invulnerable and spam about 60 AOE damage afterwards, unchalleneged. If you manage to survive that nonsense, she might just turn you into a goat. The goat is the most merciful as the ram does a knockback and is fairly powerful, IF you hit with its huge telegraph attack.

Don't even get me started on Ice Rose. Do you like being unable to move, use any abilities, and unable to turn or fire ON TOP of all of what has been listed above?

This is even worse for a character like Super Brainz (Who is also pretty powerful, but still not quite a Rose) where the slow also disables his secondary basic attack, meaning unless the Rose is dumb enough to run into melee range, he's 100% helpless during the slow.

Popcap, I have something about game design to tell you. I don't claim to be a game design guru, but there is one thing I guarantee you:

Getting hit by debuffs that don't open windows of opportunity (or leave some open) is completely unfun. It doesn't matter if using the debuff is fun if the person on the receiving end may as well have their keyboard or gamepad taken away for several seconds.

In a competitive game, you need play (that is, an ability you use) and counterplay (an ability you use in response) to make things really interesting. The more doors you open or leave open when hit by an ability, the more fun and challenging the game is.

If I can do literally nothing, I am having no fun. If you take away every ability, what's my counterplay? "Avoidance" isn't counterplay, it's pre-play, counterplay is for use after an encounter begins, it is crucial to a fun experience.

As I've said elsewhere, these abilities of Rose's are still going to be unfun even if her main weapon is nerfed, even if she didn't HAVE a main weapon these would be unfun to get hit by, because you're not actively playing the game anymore.

Leave an ability available, let me hammer a button to "free" the ability, let me use a movement ability (like Hyper with the Pea Shooter or the Sprint Tackle for the All-Star) to break out of the slow. Then it becomes an exchange. Those abilities, on the classes that have it, suddenly become more versatile. I can use them offensively OR defensively, I can sacrifice them to remove a debuff. That makes things immediately more interesting without a direct nerf to the ability itself.

I've also suggested letting the "opposite" class (Imp vs Rose) use their own time snare ability to cancel out the others', again, making their ability far more versatile and interesting to use. It'd separate good from bad players more clearly without making the ability useless in either situation.

Whatever Popcap decides to do, I hope they lower the duration on all of these. I hate nerfing things like that, but they frankly last too long in a shooter where you go down in seconds. Especially since healing in this game isn't really designed to counter being pummeled while helpless. You can't "focus heal" to keep someone up as they're mauled alive.

A couple of seconds is fine, it can still be devastating and decisive, but it's not a guaranteed bad time for those that get hit by it any longer, you have to capitalize on it. It's already way too easy to land it without it turning everyone into sitting ducks.

Generally, the harder it is to land an attack, the more potent it is.

Alllllternatively, you can continue to go in the direction I suggested above. What do I mean? Well, let's make the time snare less effective on each individual the more people you hit with it. 100% potency if it only hits one person, 75% if it hits two, with it maybe capping at a lower efficiency of 25% or so. You can stop a person or two, but you can only slow a horde.

I really hope Popcap at least reads these suggestions. It's getting me really excited to think about how much more fun the game could be if they started to go in the direction of supporting counterplay and more dynamic ability decision use.

The best part is the abilities remain totally viable and usable if you're casual, so you don't have to think about this kind of more advanced stuff, but if you do, it opens up a lot of options and gets you thinking more about when to use your abilities. It's a win for everyone!

----------------------------------------------------------

End Quote

To be clear, my main complaints are about both teams' time snare abilities and the complete lockout you get from being frozen.  Not so much something like the Chomper's goop, because that's hard to hit with and affects just one person.  Their little snares are also okay because you can see it by being careful and remove it.  It's a lot more reasonable, a lot more fair.

Anyway, please feel free to disagree, but these are my honest feelings about this issue.  It's far more pertinent to me than Rose's silly homing wand.

Message 1 of 19 (873 Views)

Re: The elephant in the room that is crowd control.

★★★★★ Apprentice

totally agree..

the game isn't just fun (ATM), like was the first. and sadly, it become often frustrating.

People will run away of it, and i'm sure, it will not be able to hold its player base for 1 year or more like have done the 1.

Really sad of that.

@ Popcaps:   game need to be tested before the release, and by test, i say real test, not a beta of 3 days on consoles or a profitable early acces of 10 hours..    I hope you will learn of that

wish you the best

Message 2 of 19 (825 Views)

★★ Guide

Rose is indeed crazy and completely unbalancing, the Ice Rose is game breaking. When they fix Rose, they need to look into fixing Ice Rose as well. 

Message 3 of 19 (804 Views)

★ Guide
Plus you can't even reload or aim your gun if caught by an attack that just slows you down.
Message 4 of 19 (794 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Yeah, the fact that you can't use your ranged weapons as Super Brainz or Dreadbeard because you're *slowed* is just crazy.

Message 5 of 19 (717 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Isn't her slow , similar to an engineers sonic bomb thingy?? You cant use abilities and move slowly - basically rendered helpless when hit by it.

Engineers hit harder and have a larger damage spread. I think that's what they based the slow time on, a mirror of the engineer's skill.

Message 6 of 19 (714 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

No, an engineer's sonic bomb has a tiny radius and lasts a fraction of the time of the Rose's ability.  On top of that, the ROSE does more damage and has a longer range, and homing shots.

Message 7 of 19 (697 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

The time snare is a little longer but engineers do more damage per shot.

The imp CC lasts for as long as time snare so each side has something similar

Message 8 of 19 (688 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Right, each side has something similar... which I addressed in the main post.  Both sides having a broken, unfun ability doesn't make it balanced or fun.

Message 9 of 19 (679 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

Easy way to solve the imbalance. Make Rose auto attack "not lock on". Would require then a degree of timing on the shots, and despite becoming more "mobile", her mobility will be more predictable given where she is shooting.

THe turn speed on the deathsphere needs increase as does the ability to use skills. I would suggest the deathsphere give an overall Attack Speed reduction at best.

The goat...well it is what it is but i do feel only one target should be affected by Goatify. Many times i've goated two or three at once.

The explosion nova... i think it needs to work more like Tyrael from Heroes of the Storm.

Whilst alive it  damages all emenies within an area for "x" damage every "x"seconds that anybody stands in. Keep the cool down the same and cast mechanic. The Nova only works upon death, at which point you have three weak novas that you can move a short distance with or one charged large nova thats slightly less powerfull than 3 weak ones but more powerful than 2, but can be charged quicker than it takes to pull off 3 mini-novas.

Message 10 of 19 (655 Views)