It’s a quiet desert town.

Library.

Watering hole.

Quirky locals.

Military personnel?

Uh. . . conspiracy theories?

A secret lab?!

You know, typical.

Welcome to StrangerVille, where townspeople are acting bizarre for unknown reasons. There’s a deep, dark secret afoot, and your Sim can solve the mystery in The Sims™ 4 StrangerVille!* On February 26, 2019, the strangeness will be released on PC and Mac.

Read the full announcement blog here, and share your first impressions about this new Game Pack below!

Will your Sims try to solve the mystery? Large smile

Message 1 of 14 (2,157 Views)

Re: The Sims 4 StrangerVille - A mystery only Sims can solve

★★★★★ Guide

I have to admit, I am not really impressed with this Game Pack's Announcement.

Maybe it's just me, but it feels more like some sort of obligation to Millie Bobbie Brown when she was helping sponsor the game through blogs, videos, and her Positivity Challenge back in late 2018.

I'm certainly open to being proven wrong, and seeing what the Game Pack has to offer, but as it stands from what I've seen so far, it's not likely something I'm really sold on.

Sorry to be a buzzkill.

- B

Message 2 of 14 (2,141 Views)

Champion

@burin077, I don't know that much about Millie Bobbie Brown other than her appearing in the game last fall/winter and that she values kindness.  Therefore, I'm failing to see the connection here … Wondering

I love mysteries, and this looks fun.  My only reservation is that I hope the mystery aspect has some sort of replay value. Fingers crossed That would make it more fun!  I really like the kickboxing robot/trainer thingy! Cool  And I'm happy we get a new world!  I hope this means we get the military career back, like we had in previous versions of The Sims! Heart I'm loving the colander hat! :eahigh_file:  I'm excited to find out more! Party hat  (This also sheds more light on that voice actor's video we got about a month ago where the woman kept saying "Strahn-gee, Strahn-gee"! Large smile )

I also noticed the Sim wearing the colander hat in the video was wearing a vest with a bunch of patches … and one of the patches had a Cowplant on it! Heart

CCP Champion Banner - Red.png

Message 3 of 14 (2,139 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

@PugLove888, Millie Bobbie Brown (MBB) was one of the breakout stars from the Netflix series Stranger Things which, looking at this Game Pack, seems to give off similar vibes from. To me, it feels almost like a shoehorned Game Pack to reflect upon that series.

I have nothing against MBB herself, but considering the development period that it likely took for this Game Pack, and the association Sims 4 has now, I find it quite difficult for it to be a mere coincidence.

This all said, I recall the last outburst that was made in relation to material released by the EA/Maxis team, that "to them, something new might differ from what the fans/players want." I have no problem with that; however that also comes off as insulting or arrogant towards the player base who want to share their enthusiasm, but feel there's a disconnection between the consumer and the developer.

I am probably getting too deep into the weeds here in the wrong medium to discuss this matter, but I had to make my opinion known in some way. I am not angry at the announcement of this Game Pack, however I am disappointed as I feel that the hype that was suddenly drummed up for it this week was unfounded.

- B

Message 4 of 14 (2,137 Views)

Champion

@burin077, ah, thanks for clarifying! Raised eyebrow  Not having Netflix, I'd never seen a whole episode of "Stranger Things", just a few scenes when visiting a relative. (I wanted to check it out, but there was too much cross conversation going on) -- so I didn't know she was on the show! Embarrassed  I thought this pack had a "Stranger Things" vibe to it though. Cool  I think I must have got MMB confused with Baby Ariel since I thought that MMB might also be a social media star. OopsLarge smile  

I still think that this looks like a fun pack! Standard smile  And this kind of theming for the Sims has been done before, so I think it fits in with some of the older themes in the Sims, especially TS2!  (The pictures also remind me of the '90s Soundgarden video "Black Hole Sun"! ShockedLarge smile Wink )

Thanks again for educating me! Angel

Message 5 of 14 (2,132 Views)

Hero (Retired)
@PugLove888
I am very open to all new additions - the best proof so far I have bought them all. I'm afraid of only one thing. If this is a kind of one-time puzzle solving then it will serve the player only once. I love Jungle Adventure and I still go back to Selvadorada because it looks always a little bit different. I hope that the same mechanism was used in this new addition and there will be a reason to come back there.
So far there is no answer to this question.
Message 6 of 14 (2,124 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

A very valid point, @kreatora

If the pack just "drops off" after the mystery is solved, it limits the pack's replay value.

I do find the pack does have a few things I would certainly like, too; hairstyles, outfits, and of course more building space. 

Here's hoping my worry over this pack is unfounded; I do want to like new material for The Sims, I guess just the unveiling of this pack and the premise behind it leave something to be desired for me. 

Message 7 of 14 (2,119 Views)

★ Guide

It is wrong to force us to update today.  The patch notes don't mention any major changes like in November.  And it comes two days after starting press about the new game pack so... obviously the patch is preparing for next week's pack launch.  What if I don't want to buy the game pack?!? What if I want to wait till the modders I subscribe to are able to repair broken mods.  Nope. Can't play! Must patch!  That is so wrong.  I have a lot much money invested in this game and I cannot even play it and enjoy the same game I turned off 12 hours ago.

Message 8 of 14 (2,110 Views)

★ Novice
yes <3
Message 9 of 14 (2,101 Views)

Champion

@kreatora  & @burin077 , that is my only worry about this pack … replayability once you solve the mystery.  I stated this in another post (I thought it was this one, but it isn't) Oops  But since they mixed up the puzzles in JA, not to mention certain parts of the jungle are blocked off each time you visit, they I have hope that they did something similar with the StrangerVille pack too! Fingers crossed 

Like you guys, I also want the new hairstyles, building items, World, outfits, etc. that this pack will offer.  (I love that female braided hairstyle!)  Not to mention I heard that the Military Career will now be a thing in the game, as well as a new Aspiration! Cool

@stbnchristine, I sympathize with you over the patch and Mods conflict! Devil  This is one of the reasons I don't play with Mods anymore!  I'm too lazy to upkeep with it all, and waiting until Modders recalibrate things is not my idea of fun. But many others find the wait and trouble worth it.  Hopefully you won't have to wait too long! Fingers crossed  

Message 10 of 14 (2,073 Views)