Re: Thank you for the new season...NOT, Pay to Play Pimps...

by iLikeToSnipe21

Original Post

★★ Guide
I remember seeing a piece of art sell for about $75,000. That art piece was not aesthetically pleasing, it was plywood with paint spattered over it; some kind of abstract art. Some rich fool had the freedom to spend money on that. But it was still foolish.

As I've said before, the prices for in-game units and micro transactions are divorced from reality. THAT'S the issue. I'm okay with having MT in a game. I'm not okay with a "deal" (this is supposed to be a discount) of paying $14.99 to get a single unit to level 8.

If somebody seriously offered me a $50 bottle of Dasani water I would still be offended if they then "discounted" it to $10. The same goes for being offered it for "free" if I spend a few hours doing something.

There's a defense for simply having MT in a game. There is no reasonable defense for the pricing that's been chosen.
Message 11 of 14 (221 Views)

★★★★★ Guide
Good post, and well worded, but what got you from ladder reset to micro transactions? (out of sheer curiosity, not trying to mock you!)
Message 12 of 14 (214 Views)

★★ Guide
The root problem for all these complaints is the pricing. There will always be players who are inconsiderate and want everything for free. But that's not really what's going on here.

I want to have fun, I think that's a pretty reasonable expectation to have for a game. I can spend $60 on a game like RDR2 and have fun. Or I can spend $200 on MT in Rivals and not have fun because that won't be enough to get my units to the level I can place in.

I'm good enough I stay around an 80% win rate, and that's when I'm going up against higher level units. But I have had plenty of matches I lost where I know it was because of just one level of difference in units. For example, a level 11 Rhino kills a level 10 missile squad, survives with no health visible, and takes a platform to launch a missile. At the higher ranks just one level can be critical.

If I'm not going to spend money on the insane deals, then how else an I going to get my units up so I can actually have fun playing against equally skilled players? One way is the ladder rewards. Getting them the first time was pretty nice. But now we've gone from 3x purple crates to 1x gold. That's several factors of difference and is hardly rewarding by the time you get to level 10 units.

I'm frustrated that the MT available are too expensive to even consider buying. On top of that, what they provide scales poorly with your level. I feel a lot of players share that frustration.
Message 13 of 14 (211 Views)

★★★★★ Guide
Yea I hear ya. It's one strange facet of the game. Everyone likes to blame P2W as the reason they lost. But they don't realize how f2p the game actually is slanted. In almost every way, dedicated f2p trumps frugal p2w in rivals. I'm like you, I don't mind spending a 5er every month or so. But when the reward is less than nothing, there's simply no point.
Message 14 of 14 (208 Views)