Re: So what's a good deck then?

by Mister_Crac

Original Post

So what's a good deck then?

★★★★ Pro

Sure, you are supposed to have counters to every type of unit (infantry, vehicles, air units). But there are almost endless possibilites for building decks. I am wondering, are people agreeing what should be (or should not be) in a good deck?

I mostly play:

GDI - Missile Squad, Shockwave Troopers, Pitbull, Orca, Wolverine, Zone Trooper. Commander: Strongarm

NOD - Laser Squad, Flame Troopers, Attack Bikes, Banshee, Flame Tank, Cyborg. Commander: Seth

But my current Win Rate is just 59%, so not really good at all.

Any suggestions for improvement?

Message 1 of 8 (684 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

I'm giving up lab and temple as they are expensive and can be countered by low tier units

You can look at how the top players play. I feel like tactics and micromanagement play more important roles than deck.

QQ图片20190113164332.jpg

QQ图片20190113164340.jpg

Message 2 of 8 (671 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

I think there's a few main things you need to look out for. Firstly your deck should be well balanced in terms of unit counters. One good way might be to start with a core unit, and then think about what could counter it, then add the relevant card, and then consider what might counter that, and rinse and repeat until you have 6 cards. You could also consider how balanced your deck is across all stages of the game, meaning whether you have units that can take you through early all the way to late game. Like what @xrmiao4 said, it's true, a lot of top players play more aggro decks that focus on non-tech, which is cheaper and easier to push out, to quickly shut down an opponent so they don't have a chance to get to late game. Of course, even if they do, some early game units do counter late game units (eg. flames/shocks vs zones or banshees vs basilisks), so it doesn't mean the game is over just because the late game units are out. Some pros do employ things like MLRS and giga cannons which are not full aggro, which can zone out enemy units and create options as to whether they can counter attack with their early game units, or stall until they can push out their late game units. Nevertheless, I think the best way is to experiment for yourself with different decks and figure out which style you prefer best. 

Message 3 of 8 (649 Views)

★★★★ Guide

There were some low tactics to back kick your opponent. Here is one:

When your opponent fortifies 2 pads and you only have 1 and the missile is almost ready. Order 2 jumpjets or anything fast & unblockable to cross the two pads controlled by your opponent. No need to step into the pad, just cross the pad, don't worry about them being killed. The goal here is to turn the 2 pads into yellow at the same time for some milliseconds so the missile is under your control shortly (2 yellow vs 1 yours). If you manage the timing right, the missile instantly switches side and bomb your opponent's surprise face.

Message 4 of 8 (636 Views)

★★★★ Pro

@xrmiao4:

In the screenshot that you have posted, I don't see with what unit you would counter Chemical Warriors? Those are quite annoying. Other infantry units are pretty weak against them.

Message 5 of 8 (609 Views)

★★ Guide
What I've done in Tib league that worked pretty well was pick a ranged unit (Juggernaut and Giga Cannon for me) and then build a deck around supporting that unit. I'll change the supporting units as the meta changes, but it's worked pretty well for me. I can maintain a 70%-90% win rate when I'm not experimenting and having fun.

So, it's not just your deck but how you plan on using it. Do you plan on rushing? Turtling with two harvesters? A more balanced approach? I try to go for a balanced approach with a ranged unit, seems the most reliable strategy.

I've been using lasers, chem troopers, bikes, tick tank, giga cannon, and banshee as Nod with Jade as the commander. Haven't figured out a solid build around the Juggernaut yet, but it pairs well with the Kodiak.
Message 6 of 8 (597 Views)

★★★ Novice

That's why infantry is best countered with non infantry, there are cheap factory/air pad units that can do the job.

Basically game is based on throwing counters at each other, the player who can predict better or do better job at choosing counter have higher chances of winning.

I'm not that experienced or good with the game but I would say, for good deck just go with balanced set of units, also consider using two buildings to lower the cost of production. I know it's difficult to limit yourself to only two buildings at first when there's not that much units, but don't worry about it just now. 

Also don't worry if you don't have those epic cards yet, you can build an aggro based deck which you can be successful with. You just need a bit of micro skill. Push out a unit that's strong against vehicles, ideal example is Nod's bikes and try to harass enemy harvester, ultimately killing it. Add a unit to keep charging that missile pad, make enemy busy with your harass and you should strike easily with first missile. Now just focus on second one and you're done. Works nicely against tech heavy or bulky expensive unit decks.

Also, check out those vids:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxz3JKpYn1Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnpOHtQqLns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNEWPa-ARfM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBNoIBkTHSo

I seem to find excoundrel's vids the most analytic and informative.

Message 7 of 8 (576 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Pro

To be honest, playing aggro with tons of micro-managing is not really my style. I'm more of an old-school C&C player who likes to build up a nice base first. ;-)

Also, thank for the links to these videos. These are really good.

Message 8 of 8 (570 Views)