Re: Sniper's are weak

by incia

Original Post

Sniper's are weak

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Considering the new GDI unit, will not make any sense having sniper's anymore, the shattered unit is totally helpful from initial phase until late game. Why sniper's can shoot vehicles??? I know .50 can do a hole in a tank, but allow them to shoot aircraft!!!!! This will make more sense, and renewal the sniper's strategy in game. Oooooor make it 3 range shoot!!!! Reducing the damage, maybe.

Message 1 of 14 (1,462 Views)

★★★★ Pro

The way to play snipers is to hide them behind another unit of yours, e.g. a Pitbull. That way a Shatterer or other anti-infantry units cannot get your snipers easily.

Message 2 of 14 (1,433 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

@MsbowElite wrote:

Considering the new GDI unit, will not make any sense having sniper's anymore, the shattered unit is totally helpful from initial phase until late game. Why sniper's can shoot vehicles??? I know .50 can do a hole in a tank, but allow them to shoot aircraft!!!!! This will make more sense, and renewal the sniper's strategy in game. Oooooor make it 3 range shoot!!!! Reducing the damage, maybe.

With the help of a scout, it might be possible to kite enemy units again and again. I think Snipers need an overhaul. You can issue a sniper once to shoot the driver of a tank and it will become neutral. You or your enemy could then capture the tank with any squad. The chances of forcing the tank to become neutral decreases as the tank gets more expensive. It will be a lot harder to snipe out a mammoth tank driver compared to a predator and rhinos are the easiest. Cyber wheels and war dogs are immune to this however.

Message 3 of 14 (1,420 Views)

★ Guide

The added range and them being inf type is the big difference if compared to Shatterers, Snipers can kill Mutant marauders and Grenadiers from afar while Shatterer might be more fragile to these. Also it's an option for barracks openers, while Shatterer is for vehicle users.

That's like saying chem warrior is useless because there are chem buggies. They are two different types of units with the same damage output.

Long story short, tehy work as intended.

However, a minor buff to snipers could be to give them scout visibility, make them actually spot 3 squares around themselves, similar to drones and dogs.

Message 4 of 14 (1,414 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
@incia Let's not forget they really should be " stealth " units as well 😎 👍👍
Message 5 of 14 (1,330 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Just reduce their member count to 2,

increase thir stats, as conpensation

and lear how to play!

Message 6 of 14 (1,315 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

3 is enough. Making it 2 with give it a slower attack rate. Snipers are best used as hit and run units. They are also incredibly fragile to the point that a zone trooper can make a coat out of the entire squad. I would like to see a 30 to 50% HP increase. Seen a lone sniper clearing a pad full of riflemen? It takes forever for that sniper to snipe 2 squads worth, let alone 3 or 4.

Message 7 of 14 (1,282 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

A one man sniper squad is awful and I ment to maintain their attack rate.

@EinarThePillager You are delusional as usual.

Message 8 of 14 (1,264 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

@Hizsoo wrote:

A one man sniper squad is awful and I ment to maintain their attack rate.

@EinarThePillager You are delusional as usual.

Um, what I meant is a single sniper left of its squad. If there's only 2 per squad, its DPS would decrease by 50% if one member dies. If there's 3, then the DPS would decrease by 33%. It would take forever to clear soldiers standing somewhere. I also did an experiment with snipers long ago. This experiment had it attack a tick tank. It took about 4 to 5 minutes to finish. If one or two died, then that encounter would probably last more than 8 minutes.

Message 9 of 14 (1,258 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

2 man infantry squads exist: Zone Troopers and Cyborgs. It would be unusual for a barracks infantry but not groundbreaking.

Attack speed is more important against Militants, so they could focus more on that than damage, at compensation.

A member would be more durable and they would die at different breakpoints: 50% instead of 33%/66%

You could heal them with drone, better.

A regular match lasts for 8 minutes and no one else cares about how they do against Tick Tank.

Message 10 of 14 (1,252 Views)