Servers

by JonFromEarth

Original Post

Servers

★★ Novice
I play a range of different multi-player games, including EAs very own Star Wars Battlefront II. I have never experienced lag or any issues with connection. The only game i have a problem with is NHL. Connection is almost as important as skill in EASHL. I play in online gaming leagues such as LGHL PSN and VGHL. It seems location is everything. Most east coast players say they have great ping somewhere around 4-15ms, but when they play a west coast host they may recieve 40ms or most likely even higher. The same goes for west coast players but just the opposite. I am located in Houston, TX. I have never recieved ping lower than 22ms. I've been averaging close to 30ms lately. Which makes sense because I am in the middle (Central) I also have wired connecction, like most players. When i play a west coast host it seems im more likely to go higher than 30ms than if i were to play an east coast host, most likely because I am closer to the east than I am to the west.

It seems wherever you are in the world you are stuck with your ping ranges. I'm curious as to why we all can't play close to the same ping or all play on an even playing field? As i mentioned before i play SW Battlefront II, and it seems everyone is playing on an even playing field, no lower ping advantages or higher ping disadvantages. Those game modes can also hold 40 players without an issue for anyone. Why can't NHL do the same with 12 players?
Message 1 of 2 (423 Views)

Re: Servers

Hero
There are likely more servers for Battlefront. NHL is limited to two in NA and one in Europe.
In your case, being central NA, a central server would benefit you in some cases, but the majority of those you are playing with would also have to be central in order for you to connect to that server.

I, being western, gave up on leagues long ago because I always played with eastern people. It’s an unfortunate circumstance, where you live being such a factor in NHL.

I’d imagine if the sport and game were more popular, more resources would go into the networking side of the game. I suspect this is your point in general; why does this game play so sluggish online? Limited player base equates to limited server infrastructure.
•—————————————————•

If a message helped you, please give it XP! Click the XP button at the bottom of the post.
If it answered your question, click "Accept as solution". Thanks!
Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Not an EA employee

Banner AHQ Hero Mass Effect.png

Message 2 of 2 (409 Views)