Second harvester

by dark_demon1434

Original Post

Second harvester

★★★★★ Newbie
Ok im a little new to it but how do I build a second harvester I don't get the option to and I'm just confused on how to do this

Message 1 of 21 (12,789 Views)

Re: Second harvester

★★ Apprentice
I was wondering the same thing. I'm in matches with people who massively out pace me because they can build 2 harvesters while I have 1.
Message 2 of 21 (12,762 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

For those of you who have been wondering about how to get a second harvester, you cannot build a second harvester until you reach Level 6 when you gain that ability as a reward. It doesn't really make too much sense to me why they choose to make it exclusive to a level up but that was the choice they made so far and I would hope they change that as the game goes forward. Seems silly to lock an option like that behind a level up requirement.

Message 3 of 21 (12,744 Views)

★★★★ Novice

This was the last straw for me, I am not a mobile gamer, but I'm a cnc fan. When I saw the 2 harvesters I was surprised by the lack of balance even more than getting ion cannoned(something else I didn't have). This is probably common practice in mobile games to get you to buy in game currency but for a cnc game it just isn't a good idea. I can't imagine playing Tiberian Sun(my favorite cnc title) on the pc and not have Titans or Mammoth tanks because I didn't unlock them but have to play against people that had them,

Message 4 of 21 (12,700 Views)

★★★★ Novice
if I had to guess, the reason they level gated it is because they wanted to make the gameplay slowly more complex as you level up. If this was release that wouldn't be a problem since matchmaking would have enough people to match levels together.
Message 5 of 21 (12,682 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice
In the old cnc games when we played the single player campaigns, we did not have higher tech units in the earlier levels if u remember... but the ai in the levels often did. We progressed the levels by often winning against higher tier units using lower tier units. And as we progressed we would eventually unlock the higher tier units. You have to think of this game like that.. a campaingn where u unlock units as u progress. Only the campaign is against real ppl. Getting beaten doesnt always mean the other player is better at the game than u. These are not 1v1 perfectly skirmishes between 2 players... but challenges for u to overcome like those single player campaigns in the old cnc games. I remember playing against a mammoth tank when i didnt have an equivalent nod high tech unit in a mission.
Message 6 of 21 (12,629 Views)

★★★★ Novice

You're probably right, I never played the single player campaigns but have 1000s of hours in the games. I was always about the online aspect.

Message 7 of 21 (12,614 Views)

★★ Novice

Thet need to remove the 2nd harvester imo. Too small of maps to have them and completely unbalanced to new players. I got steam rolled at level 5 against people with 2, now I'm steam rolling level 4-5 people with my 2.

Literally no reason to have a 2nd one anyways, only encourages late game spam with zero early/mid. I love early/mid game, this late game tech kills it for me.

Message 8 of 21 (12,533 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Only problem with that is the fact that people below lvl 6 get match made against this and skill goes to the wayside. When I see double harvesters at the start of the match I just quit. Not worth the time

Message 9 of 21 (12,427 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

Steps  for dealing with double harvester start

1) War Factory --> Pitbull/Attack Bike --> Scout their starting

a) Don't build your own harvester yet, wait for scouting information. This is a very easy way to counter Orca rushers, if you see a helipad/air tower and no harvester of their own, they already have a Orca on it's way to kill your non-existent harvester. Don't bother even building a harvester until you are capable of dealing with the Orca, he has no harvester either so he has no advantage on you. Orca's hit hard but Pitbulls can attack while moving, Orca's are fresh meat to them due to their reload time, build them and hunt it down and if he builds a harvester you have Pitbulls on the field to easily destroy it.

b) If you see them with two harvesters (2nd one should be built as you approach the base), play extremely aggressive, this means build 1-2 more Pitbulls/Attack Bikes, including something that can deal with missile/laser squads, unless they build a war factory then just keep pumping out Pitbulls/Attack Bikes. You have number advantage, micro your low life units away. Pitbulls can attack while moving, abuse it, I have easily used 2 pitbulls to dominate 2-4 attack bikes without losing one as well as used Pitbulls to run circles around harvesters while the enemy attempts to chase me.

2) Are you winning the "Fight"?

a) If you can completely dominate him and attack his base directly, DO IT! You don't need the missile to win, sitting back waiting for the missile is how they get back into the game.

b) Do you actually need a harvester to win this game? Harvesters take up a unit slot, another troop on the field allows you to pressure them even more. If they are just feeding you harvester kills like morons, you already have a source of income. If they are smart and not feeding you harvesters, you want to build one so you can keep the pressure on.

c) If you're unable to win the "Fight" and push him to his base, turn your aggression to controlling the furthest two tiles, it still gives you map advantage and you have control of the missile with a extra tile on your side if you need it (If you don't need a 3rd tile, don't bother with it).

I understand the annoyance of them having the option of double harvester start but all I see is excuses and a refusal to change the way you play. Double harvester starts can be punished extremely hard, the only thing that kinda prevents me from being super aggressive early is the Nod Scarabs (Depending on positioning). If a Pitbull can sneak around, even scarabs are useless against it's mobility. It's extremely rare that I lose to a double harvester start (If I do, it's because I built a damn Rhino by mistake over a Pitbull >_<), they're probably the easiest games for me to win.

Message 10 of 21 (12,392 Views)