Re: Rivals could be the greatest mobile RTS of all time.

by Fuzzjonesy

Original Post

Rivals could be the greatest mobile RTS of all time.

★★★★★ Newbie

EA has hit the nail on the head with control and gameplay.

I can only hope that the other Turn-Based and RTS game developers will copy what EA got right here, because unless EA ditches the pay-to-play model, this game is a nonstarter for many RTS and C&C fans.

I mean this review as a genuine complement.

EA has boiled down RTS to its essence and packaged it in a way that works perfectly on mobile.

Unfortunately, they have abandoned the hard RTS community in favor of the proven cash grab model.

I cannot blame them -- but unless they take the bolder course and try a new model (e.g., fix unit stats and upgrade/buy aesthetics, a la Dota2.), they will lose this RTS and C&C fan.

Message 1 of 2 (318 Views)

Re: Rivals could be the greatest mobile RTS of all time.

★★★★ Novice

Agree wholeheartedly, but purely from a gameplay standpoint.  I'm a longtime Clash Royale player and this same monetization model has been an unending source of frustration. 

Card leveling progression necessarily creates bad matches as the average experience.  The only way to create balance in a system with uneven player deck strengths is to factor that into the matchmaking, using a player's success as their matchmaking score; e.g. a good player with a medium strength deck will be matched against an average player with a high strength deck.  This quite nicely creates 50/50 win loss ratios, which seems like good matchmaking.  The problem is that it's not fun.  It's not fun to play against less skilled players who have a strength advantage; the strategy will be lacking (a bad quality in a strategy game) and the match will just be going through well tread motions of grinding against uneven odds.  Repeat this process ad infinitum until you reach max deck strength, a process always balanced to take years.  Only after this ridiculous investment can you start reliably being matched into matches based on skill.

And that's not even mentioning the long term investment problem.  CnC Rivals will naturally add units over time, which will start at base level.  So, when you're maxed at whatever level and then Chemical Tanks are added in six months, you'll have a fun new unit that's completely useless to you because it'll be ten levels below the rest of your deck and will continue to be useless until you can collect enough cards to reach near parity.

As stated by OP, the Chest box model is undeniably profitable and there's likely no changing the business decisions that went into it being decided for this game in the first place.  However, there's also no denying that it negatively impacts gameplay purely for the purpose of monetization and Command and Conquer Rivals will be a better game without it.

Message 2 of 2 (298 Views)