Re: Remove the mammoth tank or reduce it's health

by JadeXyan

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Remove the mammoth tank or reduce it's health

★★★ Novice

The mammoth tank is a no skill required way to win a game. I can win games by protecting two early harvests, giving up the first missile, and then just running the tank through the middle of the map. It's for rate is such that I can't even get units past it to at a time before it kills both. And if you don't keep at least two air units in your stack then your automatically lose to it because one mammoth and a cheap anti air follow up is enough to keep counters away from it.  I made it all the way to master from day one just to get pummeled over and over again by that stupid unit. The pay to win feels more ridiculous at the top than it ever did at any point before and I can't recommend this game to anyone if it's not worth trying to get there.

Message 1 of 11 (1,980 Views)

Accepted Solution
Highlighted

★ Guide
Yeah, mammoths barely saw play at 200 in tib league, I expect them to see none now that they're 250 outside of the lower leagues. My thoughts echo oRevenanTo's otherwise, mammoths do have low tech counters, they take time to kill them yes, but if low tech beat 250 cost tech units with ease nobody would bother running tech (and most of us in tib league don't anyway). For what it matters I'm, at the time of typing this, the #2 player on the leaderboard, everything I spoke of as counters are counters that I have used myself against them to great success.

View in thread

Message 7 of 11 (1,876 Views)

All Replies

★★★★ Guide

most mammoths i run into is low lvl and having 5 units shoot it to hell doesnt take much so they are fine as is for right now 

now the jump jet troops yaaa thats a whole unit that needs to be nurfed 

Message 2 of 11 (1,953 Views)

★★★ Novice
My mammoth is level 8 and many at the top are 9 and 10. Jump jet troops are pretty easy to counter compared
Message 3 of 11 (1,938 Views)

★ Guide
Mammoths cost 200 and have a ton of counters -- not a whole lot of people play them as you get further up the ladder (let alone even attempt to protect two harvesters).

I'm guessing you're in either diamond or masters, the meta there seems fairly tech focused, part of getting past it is learning to properly punish double harvester and counter tech efficiently. I won't go into a ton of detail here but mammoths do die to most air units as well as bikes from nod or significant numbers of tanks from either faction.
Message 4 of 11 (1,920 Views)

★★★ Novice
That's just the thing though. Each match is about 3 to 5 minutes. Level 9 bikes aren't a counter to a level 7 mammoth. I can show you plenty of videos where a single tank can kill two at a time taking minimal damage. If it takes 5 bikes to kill and I'm forced to use air then is there really a point in having units to pick from? Master 2 on nod and master 1 on GDI currently
Message 5 of 11 (1,916 Views)

★ Apprentice

Well, I'm in Tiberium as GDI and Master 2 as NOD, mainly cause I do not have time to play for 10 days now.

As for Mammoth tanks - I did not encounter any problems with them, except for when I played tanks/air NOD, and only if I've failed to counter 2 harvester strategy in time.

As both tech GDI and tech NOD - Titan/Worm takes care of Mammoth solo, as long as you speed it up with commanders ability, which is cheap. If enemy speeds us Mammoth too - Mammoth would keep no more than 1/8 of his health, and at that point - anything can finish it off.

I'd say - if you do not play tech - once your enemy got to Mammoth, that's on you, not on "game balance". Other tech troops which are properly used and controlled - would kill you even harder. And if you play tech - Mammoths are too easy to counter (I suppose it goes without saying that tech tree requires speeding up commanders).

Message 6 of 11 (1,904 Views)
Highlighted

★ Guide
Yeah, mammoths barely saw play at 200 in tib league, I expect them to see none now that they're 250 outside of the lower leagues. My thoughts echo oRevenanTo's otherwise, mammoths do have low tech counters, they take time to kill them yes, but if low tech beat 250 cost tech units with ease nobody would bother running tech (and most of us in tib league don't anyway). For what it matters I'm, at the time of typing this, the #2 player on the leaderboard, everything I spoke of as counters are counters that I have used myself against them to great success.
Message 7 of 11 (1,877 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Jade what counters do you use?

Message 8 of 11 (1,831 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

On nod - Banshees, Infernos, Bikes (squads make bikes shockingly good against all slow firing tech units), scorpion tanks, Basilisks (rarely these days though, nod tech isn't often run), Kane's obelisk with some blockers in front of it.

On GDI - Jumpjets (mammoths can run them over but multiple squads can still take one down without too much trouble), predators, mlrs with blockers, titans, kodiaks (testing these still this patch, they haven't been great in previous patches but I think the recent banshee and talon nerfs leaves a bit of room for them), sometimes I'll throw a few orcas at them combined with other things - orcas aren't really strong enough to take mammoth's on their own but they do great added damage, Titans also do good work especially when you consider you can get two of them for the cost of a mammoth pretty much, and every so often - talons, yes, really, mammoth aa is bad enough that I have killed mammoths with talons before :P

Really though the biggest trick against mammoths is to apply a ton of pressure throughout the game, they are very hard to get out, almost nobody played them in tib league at 200, they're pretty awful at 250, and really we're not actually talking 250, their real cost is 370 because honestly in a high pressure game you won't likely have the tib to build one let alone two and that tech lab cost already massively restricts what tech units can and cannot be run. More often then not I see mammoths these days crawling slowly from the base right as the last missile goes off to kill my opponent - building a mammoth pretty much guarantees loss of tempo unless you're far ahead, in which case why do you need to build a mammoth? :P

Message 9 of 11 (1,798 Views)

★★★★ Guide

truth

Message 10 of 11 (1,781 Views)