Remastered Collection, a question of map scale

by Volkov_mk2

Original Post

Remastered Collection, a question of map scale

★★★ Novice

What is the in game to real life scale ratio for the remastered collection's maps?

Message 1 of 15 (8,160 Views)

Re: Remastered Collection, a question of map scale

Hero

@Volkov_mk2 

There's no such thing. The buildings in the game don't even have consistent scale compared to each other. Everything is scaled purely with balancing and ease of reading its function in mind. The internal measurement unit in the game doesn't help either; in the source code it's called a "lepton", and it means "1/100th of a cell". There is no correlation anywhere with real life measurements.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 2 of 15 (8,126 Views)

★★★ Novice

Even knowing that  https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/UnitsNotToScale fully apples. I'm just looking for a close enough measure so I can reasonably recreate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Chernaya

Message 3 of 15 (8,109 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

Well if you use the people as a rough guide you could lay down two of them to one cell .

Figure a person is roughly 6 ft tall  gives you a cell size of 12ft

A TD map of 62 cells wide x 12 ft  = 744 ft wide   , for a full map it would be 744 ft w X 744 ft h =553,536 sqft 

A RA map of 126 cells wide  x 12 ft  = 1512 ft wide , 1512w x 1512h = 2,286,144 sqft

Message 4 of 15 (8,089 Views)

★★★ Novice

That might be helpful.

While we're all here, how hard is it to insert a unit from one game, such as the RA1 supply truck, into the other? And have it be placeable in editor and playable/functional in game.

Message 5 of 15 (8,071 Views)

★★ Apprentice

it appears units are hard coded into the remastered editor

Im not sure why the Truk doesn't appear in the TD remastered Its got the image files in the Meg files.  

But it is not listed in the units in the meg files.  I even tried just changing it into an ini  and my game crashed.

Message 6 of 15 (8,040 Views)

Hero
@dcom67 A person is as tall as a Howitzer artillery in this game though. Scales are all over the place.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 7 of 15 (8,014 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

True , and i didn't say it was perfect.

But the buildings are 3 or 4 cells wide so that would make them roughly 36 to 48 ft wide.

Gun turrets, Obelisk are 1 cell wide so that would make them roughly 12 ft  

And the Units are for the most part scaled to fit into one cell.

Seems sorta plausible to me if you have to have a scale .

Message 8 of 15 (8,006 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Is there perhaps some way to use Visual Studio to add/enable the supply truck?

Message 9 of 15 (7,920 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

Well i did manage to stop the game from crashing, although it isn't visible , and had to manually enter it into the INI , because the editor doesn't know a Truk type

I added the truk to CNCBUILDABLES.XML and stuck that into my mods folder

user~/Documents/CnCRemastered/Mods/Tiberium Dawn/Data/XML/OBJECTS/UNITS/

and i didn't find the truk in the source code for TD although i found the demolition truck in RA source

I'm sure it could be added via the source code , but i don't have VS installed

I'm not sure where the supply truck was used in TD , i searched through all the General.Mix files  and cant find any mention of truk other than it was used for a trigger name

although the images are in the TD textures .

Data/ART/TEXTURES/SRBG/TIBERIUM_DAWN/UNITS/TRUK.ZIP  31 images

Message 10 of 15 (7,889 Views)