Re: Rebuilding Harvesters shouldn’t be free...

by Marine_CorporaI

Original Post

This thread is so stupid. If you have to pay for them and don't get a bonus for destroying the opponents harvester so that you can work with only one or none, then everyone will just double harvester where the first minute of match is silent and you go straight to tech units like they do in the Gold and silver leagues.

The way it's set up now, you can steal or disrupt the enemy supply lines just like in real war. 

This is a strategy game. if you want to just go straight to epic units and battle it out pick another game.

Message 21 of 36 (672 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

The bonus can be a downside if the enemy is full of units and uses 2 harvesters. What I sometime do is get the hand of nod/barracks up then order a harvester. The next one I order is a missile squad and scout. If he techs, I smash his harvester, If he tries to attack regularly, I order a 2nd harvester. If he tries to destroy my harvester, I defend it and might order a 2nd one as well. What I do is I form a solid defense while my tiberium rises. If it goes too high, I send one harvester as a suicidal idiot. The next thing I do is pump tech and other units to fend the line. If the match is about to end, I could do a surrender sign/last ditch effort to destroy his base. If I had no units left, I still send my harvester. By then the enemy should not waste his nuke for I will no longer fight. He can outright destroy my base. Some times I win when I'm in a panic. I once sent my remaining harvester in attempt to free the unit limit of like 5 to 6. The harvester was ignored and wound up on the pad helping secure the missile. Also can harvesters be blown apart by catalyst missiles? I don't have Jade yet I'm curious about this. It can be a expensive yet effective way to stop teching.

Message 22 of 36 (664 Views)

★★★★ Guide

@Mister_Crac wrote:

The thing is, there are already way too many people who play this game as "Destroy your opponent's harvester" instead of "Destroy your opponent's base". The number of people I have seen where I fended off their attack, and they still kept attacking my harvester is insane.

Therefore I think we should not further promote harvester attacks. If anything, the game should remind people of the actual task that you have to do as a commander.

But what is wrong with that? Sounds like a smart strategy to me. How do you destroy your opponents base? By buying units that can do so. So if I take away my opponents ability to destroy my base, isn’t that a perfectly acceptable strategy of war?

Message 23 of 36 (625 Views)

★★★★ Guide

@Shinerplunderer wrote:

I mean if a harvester keeps on getting destroyed, how would one defend it? A titan or two can reduce these moving metal containers to free tiberium. Make them tougher or reduce the yield of the tiberium. If only they can protect themselves by running infantry over. I wouldn't have to bother using a rifleman to defend rather than to scout. I mean if a harvester squishes a missile squad its fine, but if its a jump-jet, then it takes damage.

That is actually my point. I feel that if you are able to strategize and get to a point where you are destroying the enemy Harvester, then you should win. 

Message 24 of 36 (623 Views)

★★★★ Guide

@Marine_CorporaI wrote:

This thread is so stupid. If you have to pay for them and don't get a bonus for destroying the opponents harvester so that you can work with only one or none, then everyone will just double harvester where the first minute of match is silent and you go straight to tech units like they do in the Gold and silver leagues.

The way it's set up now, you can steal or disrupt the enemy supply lines just like in real war. 

This is a strategy game. if you want to just go straight to epic units and battle it out pick another game.

So you think that in “real war” you don’t have to pay to replace a unit that his been destroyed? Really... and you call the thread stupid? Lmao

Message 25 of 36 (621 Views)

★★★★ Pro

@AlphonseDisciple wrote:

But what is wrong with that? Sounds like a smart strategy to me. How do you destroy your opponents base? By buying units that can do so. So if I take away my opponents ability to destroy my base, isn’t that a perfectly acceptable strategy of war?

It's not smart at all when you forget to play for missile control, since you are so obsessed with destroying the enemy's harvester.
Message 26 of 36 (598 Views)

★★★ Guide

There's no question it doesn't really make sense - but this is a game, first and foremost.  And currently the mechanics of it are based around the Harvester as is.

Destroying harvesters is, currently, a problem for the opponent but thank fully doesn't just end them.  As it is if they go double harv - and you use the early advantage to get up on them.  A Tank and something else is often enough to shut them down.  It doesn't matter if they're free at that point - you can park your own harvester on a pad and finish them off at that point

Plus - the way the game is going now - if rebuild wasn't free - you wouldn't even SEE the tech units.  May as well not even be in the game at that point.

Just being half decent - not good, not great, just 'okay' - I can see there isn't really anything you can change about the harvesters without changing up the whole game.

But - looks like they're playing with some new tournament idea - this could be one!

Message 27 of 36 (575 Views)

★★★★ Guide

@Mister_Crac wrote:

@AlphonseDisciple wrote:

It's not smart at all when you forget to play for missile control, since you are so obsessed with destroying the enemy's harvester.

That’s a terrible assumption you make there. While I’m destroying Harvesters with a Pitbull or two, those good ol cheap War Dogs and/or those very durable and capable APC’s are controlling the pads. Don’t assume that because I have the ability to focus on destroying harvesters means that I don’t have the ability to multitask. 

This is game is about concentration. And if you can’t concentrate on more than one thing at a time... well you’ve already lost. 

Message 28 of 36 (519 Views)

★★★★ Guide

@PremierVenoth i would love some new game modes. No free rebuild, no nuke, no free tiberium... etc. 

Message 29 of 36 (518 Views)

@AlphonseDisciple wrote:

@PremierVenoth i would love some new game modes. No free rebuild, no nuke, no free tiberium... etc. 

That would certainly make things more interesting. 

Message 30 of 36 (511 Views)