Re: [PS4] Lose online progress if switching from Standard to Revolution?

by ScottRempel

Original Post

Accepted Solution

[PS4] Lose online progress if switching from Standard to Revolution?

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Hello. First post here. Trying to confirm something.

With the current sale on BF1 Revolution on the PS store, I was hoping I could purchase that and then give my hard copy Standard edition to my brother. However, in trying to chat with EA, I was told my online progress would not transfer since it is a different version of the game. Can anyone confirm this? Not saying the person at EA isn't correct, but the communication was rather poor so I'd like to confirm that.

I know I can just buy the Premium pass which is also on sale, but for a tiny bit more I figured I might as well go all digital and then I can give my brother the physical copy or sell it if he doesn't want it. However, I'm not willing to lose all of my online progression. I was hoping that information would all be tied to my account and it wouldn't care about the specific installation of BF1.

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 12 (2,880 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★★ Novice

So for anyone that is curious, I pulled the trigger and purchased the digital version of BF1 Revolution. Here are my findings:

1. Game would not install until I deleted the standard version that was already installed. Once deleted, the Revolution version was able to install.

2. All of my progress/unlocks/etc. were saved.

3. The physical copy of BF1 Standard can now be used by someone else, obviously. Looking forward to getting online with my brother.

View in thread

Message 10 of 12 (3,128 Views)

All Replies

Rif.: [PS4] Lose online progress if switching from Standard to Revolution?

★★ Pro
Hi @ScottRempel,
BF1 Revolution is not another game of BF1 and the progressions/medals/dog tag etc are online to the Dice/EA server on the user, so if you will purchase Revolution your progression will remain and will not be lost.
Have fun you and your brother with BF1 Standard smile

Navigando
If it was useful, please Grant XP and accept this Answer as Solution
[I do not work for EA!]
Message 2 of 12 (2,868 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

@ScottRempel

Only if you purchase and then activate your game on the exact same account tied to the exact same PSN account that you use for your standard edition will your progress stay the same. It wont transfer as there wont be anything to transfer, it will just continue as it is without changes but again it must be the exact same account and not another one. You will notice two battlefield icons in your games library once you do upgrade but that is about it and if you can handle that then there is no problem!  Your extra content will become available once you download the needed files and restart the game.

However, do note you can not give your hard standard edition copy to your brother as it wont work. Once a game is activated on an account, it is permanent and can not be transferred from one account to another. Your standard edition is permanently activated on your account wont be able to be used on another account.

And if you are considering "game sharing", that is not allowed so its a risk you would have to take yourself and even then some options may not be available in game. My advise is not to do it but that is your choice I guess.

Message 3 of 12 (2,989 Views)

★★★ Novice
Ok, so it sounds like I can download Revolution and will still have all of the standard medals, weapons, etc I've unlocked and earned to date, plus will then have the Premium content as well.

What I'm not understanding, is why my brother wouldn't be able to take the disc and install it on his PS4 and keep the disc so he can play on his own account. I'm not trying to transfer him my unlocks. I see people selling used copies of BF1 all the time and see no reason why it wouldn't work as the new owner would be creating their own account.

Let me know if I'm missing something or haven't been clear with what I'm trying to do. Not trying to cheat anyone here. Just want to purchase the digital version of BF1 Revolution so I have the base game and Premium, and I don't want to lose the online progress I already have on my account. Once I have that installed I shouldn't need the physical copy of BF1 Standard so I would give it to my brother so he can install and play under his own account.
Message 4 of 12 (2,836 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro
Hi @ScottRempel

I do not want to disprove @XXXO77O4906, he is a hero and therefore more expert than me, but I continue to be convinced that your brother can play with your physical copy in his PS4 starting from the beginning.
However you can make a try before purchase the Revolution.

Navigando
[I do not work for EA!]
Message 5 of 12 (2,822 Views)

★ Guide

If its on the same origin account with the same registered email should be the same but  the game only with revolution version ! 

Message 6 of 12 (2,816 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

@ScottRempel@Navigando@svikins

Here is the thing, disc wise it can work of course. You can install the game on any device as much as possible using the same discs, there is no problem there.

However, the problem begins with the game code itself. To play a game, you need to have it registered on your account (in this case your brothers account) and to do that you need a special one time use only code that is given in every game box that comes with the game (you used one of this to be able to play the game yourself already).

Since you used the code on your account to activate the game, that code is now tied to your account and your account only and can not be transferred to another account. Your brother could force install the game but when it then comes to playing it, the game will ask him for the activation code in order for him to actually access it and play it and if he tries to use your code he will get an error that it has been already used up. So unless your brother has an active version of BF on his account already, he will not be able to play it sadly. The only way would be for you to give him access to your account and that is not recommended for obvious reasons. The other way would be for him to buy an unused game code from a retailer or the PS store and then he can install it from your discs and play it as much as he wants but he would still have to get the game himself etc.

As for people selling used copies of BF online which you may have saw, that is illegal and not allowed and if they are caught they are banned by the TOS team. Plus if they are just selling discs, those wont even work without a activation code so that is basically fraud as well unless they are selling torrent versions which is also illegal too and will 100% not work.

So in basics, can he install the game from your discs in his device? Yes, he can. But can he play the game after without an unused activation code or an active copy on his account. No, he cant, sorry.

Message 7 of 12 (2,808 Views)

★★ Pro
Hi @XXXO77O4906
First of all thank you for your time and sorry for the disturb, but with the PS4 disck there is no code (like pc), inside the software have an unique code of the product, but I ever saw players exchange games on physical disck without problem. Instead if you buy the game from the PS Store the game will follow the user id and it is no possible to exchange it.

Navigando
[I do not work for EA!]

Message 8 of 12 (2,792 Views)

★★★ Novice
I agree. I'm no expert, but the PS4 physical copies don't have an activation code and it can't be illegal to sell a game you own. Come to think of it, my brother installed this copy first and played online so I know that isn't a problem. He should just need the disc back.
My main concern was with downloading Revolution and it not seeing my current progress. It sounds like this should be ok though. Although I can't say I am 100% confident given the mix of information I have been here and from EA.
Message 9 of 12 (2,782 Views)

★★★ Novice

So for anyone that is curious, I pulled the trigger and purchased the digital version of BF1 Revolution. Here are my findings:

1. Game would not install until I deleted the standard version that was already installed. Once deleted, the Revolution version was able to install.

2. All of my progress/unlocks/etc. were saved.

3. The physical copy of BF1 Standard can now be used by someone else, obviously. Looking forward to getting online with my brother.

Message 10 of 12 (3,129 Views)