Re: Opinions on the game and hot topics

by XMalakhX

Original Post

Opinions on the game and hot topics

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

I'm reading a lot of opinions and thoughts on the game and it's great to see people so passionate about the game! I figured I would give my input on some "hot topics" that seem to be going around all in one post Standard smile

Character balancing - With such a huge variety of classes to play, it's hard to play and learn them all in such a short amount of time, especially if people didn't play the first game. If a character seems extremely strong to you, play as that character before you form an opinion on it. What is giving you trouble on the other team? One of the popular topics I'm seeing is scientists being too strong. If you're playing against a scientist and trying to fight close to it, chances are you are going to lose. But when you're dying to a scientist over and over because you're trying to fight it the same way you aren't really seeing what it's doing to close the distance or what the players not fighting on the ground are doing make that scientists life hell. Now play as a couple games as the scientist and see the difference. Chances are on certain maps and match ups you may feel even completely hopeless of getting kills at all because everyone seems to be in places you can't reach. Now the character that you originally thought was "overpowered" seems almost underpowered and even unable to fight back at all at times. That Citron that keeps EMPeaching you, the chomper who keeps gooping you, the pea shooter who hypers away every time you get close, or the corn who husk hops over you and you're finding yourself trying to find those few players who will actually stay on the ground.

The reason I use this example is because it's a character that has played exactly the same for a couple years now, but all of a sudden people now think the character is broken. I am NOT a scientist player, this is my unbiased opinion on the character. I have played as AND against scientist before and if you're aware of where they are (they're usually marked) then you can almost guarantee a kill on them with a lot of characters. With the beefed up pea gatling and more crowd control in this game than the first, scientists have a harder time than ever. This isn't exclusive to scientists, I would advice everyone to LEARN all the characters they feel are too strong. Play htem, learn what kills them a lot and what gives them trouble, and try replicating it next time you're against the character. This game is a lot more balanced than people make it seem. 

HOWEVER that does not mean I think this game is perfect. There are still things that could be tweaked to make the game MORE balanced, which is inevitable in a game with this many different characters.  Tweaks to Electro Brainz chain damage and fire damage are two things that come to mind that could use some nerfs. Some things that could use buffs are the Commando Pea's damage, give the sunflowers a tiny bit more fighting power, buff party characters damage, and make Electro Citron's single shot stronger. These are just off the top of my head.

Loyalty Rewards - Loyalty Rewards are exactly what the name suggests. REWARDS to players for being LOYAL fans. Handing out the unicorn chomper through completing other feats defeats the purpose of the system and the character itself. Give players a chance to use the character in the hero showcase periodically so that they can achieve max rank, without having to take away the rewards for the loyal players who earned the character and continue to try to do so in the first game. That is a more than fair solution to allow everyone to reach max rank while still keeping the character exclusive to the players who earned it. Let's not kid ourselves, if the character was available to everyone, then I don't think it would be special to ANYONE :P This is one of those petty situations where players just want something because they don't have it. Giving it to them would upset loyal players, and the people who got it for free most likely wouldn't play it, they just don't want to feel like they aren't included.

everyone is giving their opinion on the topics so I figured I would give my input as well! Standard smile Take the time to learn the game and characters, and it will seem a lot more balanced than you think it is now. The game is still new and it's especially overwhelming for people who didn't play the first game and have so much to take in at once, but I promise if you stick with it and learn the characters and abilities you will have so much fun on this game.

Message 1 of 8 (534 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

I do play mainly plants... Sunflower is my main class, as I have multiple variants with 1,000 plus kills on them, and Mastered 5 different sunflowers so far. But I have played and leveled up quite a few zombies as well. Computer Scientist and Zoologist are two characters I have played as. The Scientist doesn't have it rough in GW2.... Not at all or in the slightest. In fact, he has been the easiest class to post a 2+ K/D ratio with. He has almost no limitations in terms of how you want to play him. 

He has changed since GW1, and does deserve a pretty hard nerf to bring him down to reality. One of the things he didn't have in GW1 was that heal beam. Now that he has one and can be mobile while healing he doesn't need that much damage. There's absolutely no more justification for his damage anymore.

Here's the truth... The Scientist was nerfed in GW1 because he was too powerful. http://answers.ea.com/t5/PvZ-GW-Xbox-Troubleshooting/Recent-Nerf-Buffs-Review/td-p/3066728 but in GW2 guys like the Zoologist are actually more powerful forms of Dr. Chester from the GW2. Just a straight up more powerful version.

There you go... Read... He was a topic of conversation even back then. https://www.reddit.com/r/PvZGardenWarfare/comments/4dtcwl/why_are_people_complaining_that_the_scient...

Read more... Lot's of people do think the scientist is too powerful, of course there are some advocates of the scientist naturally trying to defend it. But I will never believe he has it rough in GW2, he didn't even have it rough in GW1. When OrganicOreo states, "Chemist was dominating a little in PvP." is playing it lightly. Obviously.

Message 2 of 8 (513 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

So the scientist was nerfed and now is where he left off in GW 1, which is fine. The zoologist is an upgraded version to a character everyone felt was under powered in the first game so I don't see a problem with that. He needs to be really close to kill people and is ineffective at any other range. It seems like people want scientists to be terrible at killing in general.

Message 3 of 8 (508 Views)

★★★ Guide

The thing is the Scientist is way too good at everything.

He can be a Support character, DPS character, Assassin and not every Scientist has to be in your face to do the damage, both Paleontologist and Astronaut say hi!

People say he only has 100 health, 110 with the health upgrade.

Well that's simply not true in the heat of the battle. He can lob in a heal ball before attacking a group of plants to ensure another 50hp of health as he warps in or the kill, once killing that pack and he will kill that pack. He can assess the dangers around him, if other plants are coming towards his way he can warp the hell out of there, otherwise he can just find a nice quiet spot to place his healing station down just intime to heal himself enough to lick his wounds.

His burst DPS is way too strong for this type of character. If you are going to be a glass cannon then that's what you should be, not have the utility to heal yourself after every battle in different ways.

Also and this is a valid complaint. Not one Zombie class has a pure support class, so why did Rose get nerfed into that role while Zombies didn't. I wouldn't mind seeing the Scientist receive that type of nerf and place him into more of a healer role.

That's one of the reasons this game is unbalanced atm. Zombies just have the advantage in offense and it clearly shows.

Message 4 of 8 (496 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide
The dynamic has changed so greatly from gw1. The zombies have a sniper class now to rival that of the cactus.

You see, you have to understand. The old zombies powers were based off of the need of not having certain classes that the plants had. Like the Sniper. So guys like the scientist made up for that role. Now with the inclusion of 3 new classes on each side and 3 more attack zombies and 2 attack one complete support character on the plants his role should diminish significantly. To that of a weaker healer.

I'm really telling you, the scientist is one of the real problems with why the zombies have an edge. They already have like 400 hp mechs now, and more than enough damage from all of their other classes. The Electro Brainz, Scientist class and the Imp have balance issues.

You said you have to play these characters to get to know their weaknesses. But it's also how you learn their strength. The scientists strength is so much so that once you see it you realize it's too much.

I can deal with quite a bit, and even some slight imbalances. But the 3 things I said (Electro Brainz, Scientist, and Imp) are things I can not take. Ones just a variant. I can live with the super brainz class, but not electro brainz arc damage. And the imps life needs to be dropped to like 60. But the scientist needs some overall nerfs. To like mobility, and damage.
Message 5 of 8 (486 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

Since you brought up the scientist and Uni, I would like to add that you can really see what an unfair advantage the scientist has with his take downs. Both these characters can warp then kill, but only one can avoid certain death afterwards. After Uni warps then chomps, there is that death-sentence cool down period. So you trade you life for one kill. The scientist, can kill several others, then warp to safety, heal up, and get right back in the fight, without having to even worry about respawning, and crossing the map again.

The scientist is one of the deadliest characters there is, and it would be nice to either give Uni the same ability to instantly warp away after a kill, or else reduce the scientist to only 1 warp with a decent cool down period, so if he comes in to kill, chances are he ain't leaving alive.

Message 6 of 8 (468 Views)

★ Guide

Chompers in general just don't seem to be worth choosing in the game. It seems like every vanquish gets you vanquished. He's such a large, clunky, slow target with a huge crit box. If you want to use a slow, clunky character, you might as well choose Corn, seeing as he has one insta-kill from distance, and the Husk Hop, along with the hill protecting butter bomb thing. 

I don't mind how ridiculous some of the scientists are, but I do mind that the sunflower just seems to rollover in just about every exchange with any zombie. If Electro Brainz arc is going to be so ridiculous, why shouldn't sunflowers electric variant? (I'm aware that one's a tank and the other's a healer.) My point is that there is no equivalent to some of the zombies on the plants. 

Message 7 of 8 (464 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

I understand the anger behind the scientist it's fast, powerful, and the ability to heal it self. but to be honest I personally think that the reason people are having trouble with it now compared to GW1 is that he has far faster movement speed than before, this allows him to evade bullets better. also the terrain is really different compared to the first game as it allows less hide and snipe areas than before. this means that a plants are always accessible to flanking. 

Message 8 of 8 (436 Views)