On Battlefield 1 how can I get better at sniping.

by DevoutSaucer13

Original Post

Accepted Solution

On Battlefield 1 how can I get better at sniping.

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice
For Battlefield 1 any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Message 1 of 11 (6,752 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: On Battlefield 1 how can I get better at sniping.

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Expert

@DevoutSaucer13, as @eI-nombre and @Z01e___007 already pointed out, finding the optimal engagement range is key. Due to the sweet spot mechanic the learning curve for sniping is not that steep compared to other BF titles. 

In one of the most recent updates they extended this scope glint (lens glare) to more weapons as well made some additions. Here's a cut-out from the update notes:

Most Scout rifles have an optimal distance where they are the most effective in combat, causing 100% damage to their opponents, which is often referred to as the “sweet spot.” Battlefield 1 rifles have been operating under these rules since the launch of the game, each rifle’s sweet spot can be reviewed from a graph under “Customization” but it was never clearly communicated to the player in-game, until now.

We’ve improved how the game communicates when a Scout soldier is in the sweet spot for both the shooter and their opponents.

For the Scout soldier:

• When active (default is off), scopes will contain depth of field in the target area.
  • Anything outside the shooter's sweet spot will appear out of focus (i.e. blurry).
  • Anything inside the shooter's sweet spot will be in focus (i.e. clear).
  • Holding breath will expand the focus range and allow shooter to see everything in their field of view more clearly.
  • Depth of field is applied to the following sniper packages: Marksman, Patrol, and Sniper.
  • The Gewehr M.95 Marksman and Carcano M91 Patrol Carbine will have depth of field applied even though they do not have a sweet spot.

For the Opponent:

• Opponents inside a sniper's sweet spot will see a rainbow lens flare.
  • Marksman and Patrol scopes now have scope glints. Considering that these scopes provide sufficient magnifying power for ranged engagements, adding glints provides Scout opponents a better chance to survive the encounter.
  • The Gewehr M.95 Marksman and Carcano M91 Patrol Carbine will use standard glint across all ranges due to their lack of a sweet spot.
  • Iron sights and lens sights will not have scope glints. Their magnifying power is low enough that players should be able to identify potential shooters without the assistance of glint.

The following table outlines each rifle’s sweet spot distance and the type of glint opponents will see.

2018-05-07_15h20_07.png

Please note, the depth of field changes for scopes are off by default. We acknowledge that many Scout players have grown accustomed to the current settings, which will remain the default way of engagement.

But, for those of you who want better communication when aiming down scope, head over to the Video Options and select “Sniper Scope DOF” and toggle it on. This will give you all the scope depth of field benefits outlined above. The new glints, however, are always active.

Now personally I don't use this mechanic so I have DOF turned off, I don't like any blur on my screen and I'm used to play scout without it, but maybe for people new to the game or the scout class it might be useful.

One other tip essential for sniping, RELOCATE often! Don't stay put in one spot (aka camping) as it won't take long for enemies to find out where you are and they will come looking for you. After a few hits/kills change position. Also try to avoid the obvious camping hotspots for snipers as these will be scanned first by enemy countersnipers. Try to think out of the box.

_________________________________________________________________________________
▪Did you find someone's post useful? Please grant + XP✔
▪Did someone's post solve your issue/answer your question? Please accept as solution✔

I do not work for EA, I'm a gamer trying to help fellow gamers. :eahigh_file:

View in thread

Message 6 of 11 (6,809 Views)

All Replies

Champion (Retired)
If you're using a rifle with a sweet spot (ideal range at which a single body shot will do enough damage to kill rather than needing a headshot) then getting to know the distance of that band is useful. Find out what it is from the stats and then check it in game against the distance to flags to get an idea of how far it is and then try and play so you're generally around that distance from your target. Apart from that it's just practice. Sniping in BF1 isn't too hard compared to previous games as there's hardly any bullet drop.

More importantly, do actually help your team. Use your spot flares and actually try and push the objectives. Nobody likes those sniper noobs that just sit on a hill miles away from anywhere just working on getting a good KDR. If you're going to play aggressive then it's also useful to practice using your pistol as that will come in handy in close quarters.
Message 2 of 11 (6,687 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Other than sniper maps, i recommend using sniper without a scope. Iron sights ar really good in this game, and you don't advertise your location to the enemy. (When you aim with scoped weapons, not only with scout btw, everyone can see a light glare coming from your scope, making it really easy to spot you). Also the game is more fun for everyone if you are a close range sniper, and actually take part in the action. You can't really play the objective with a 10x scope on your primary

Message 3 of 11 (6,675 Views)

Champion (Retired)
Are you sure about all scoped weapons having glint? I was always pretty sure it was only scout weapons.
Message 4 of 11 (6,666 Views)

★★ Guide
Hello! Some tips that I would give is that I'd find a rifle you feel the most comfortable with. Then from there begin getting your shots down. Learn the sweet spots of the sniper rifle you are using. This will vary on the variant you are using. Then as said in a earlier reply use the equipment to help your team!! Spot flares are a very powerful in Battlefield 1 and you can rack up some major score using them!

Thanks, Zoie
Message 5 of 11 (6,646 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Expert

@DevoutSaucer13, as @eI-nombre and @Z01e___007 already pointed out, finding the optimal engagement range is key. Due to the sweet spot mechanic the learning curve for sniping is not that steep compared to other BF titles. 

In one of the most recent updates they extended this scope glint (lens glare) to more weapons as well made some additions. Here's a cut-out from the update notes:

Most Scout rifles have an optimal distance where they are the most effective in combat, causing 100% damage to their opponents, which is often referred to as the “sweet spot.” Battlefield 1 rifles have been operating under these rules since the launch of the game, each rifle’s sweet spot can be reviewed from a graph under “Customization” but it was never clearly communicated to the player in-game, until now.

We’ve improved how the game communicates when a Scout soldier is in the sweet spot for both the shooter and their opponents.

For the Scout soldier:

• When active (default is off), scopes will contain depth of field in the target area.
  • Anything outside the shooter's sweet spot will appear out of focus (i.e. blurry).
  • Anything inside the shooter's sweet spot will be in focus (i.e. clear).
  • Holding breath will expand the focus range and allow shooter to see everything in their field of view more clearly.
  • Depth of field is applied to the following sniper packages: Marksman, Patrol, and Sniper.
  • The Gewehr M.95 Marksman and Carcano M91 Patrol Carbine will have depth of field applied even though they do not have a sweet spot.

For the Opponent:

• Opponents inside a sniper's sweet spot will see a rainbow lens flare.
  • Marksman and Patrol scopes now have scope glints. Considering that these scopes provide sufficient magnifying power for ranged engagements, adding glints provides Scout opponents a better chance to survive the encounter.
  • The Gewehr M.95 Marksman and Carcano M91 Patrol Carbine will use standard glint across all ranges due to their lack of a sweet spot.
  • Iron sights and lens sights will not have scope glints. Their magnifying power is low enough that players should be able to identify potential shooters without the assistance of glint.

The following table outlines each rifle’s sweet spot distance and the type of glint opponents will see.

2018-05-07_15h20_07.png

Please note, the depth of field changes for scopes are off by default. We acknowledge that many Scout players have grown accustomed to the current settings, which will remain the default way of engagement.

But, for those of you who want better communication when aiming down scope, head over to the Video Options and select “Sniper Scope DOF” and toggle it on. This will give you all the scope depth of field benefits outlined above. The new glints, however, are always active.

Now personally I don't use this mechanic so I have DOF turned off, I don't like any blur on my screen and I'm used to play scout without it, but maybe for people new to the game or the scout class it might be useful.

One other tip essential for sniping, RELOCATE often! Don't stay put in one spot (aka camping) as it won't take long for enemies to find out where you are and they will come looking for you. After a few hits/kills change position. Also try to avoid the obvious camping hotspots for snipers as these will be scanned first by enemy countersnipers. Try to think out of the box.

_________________________________________________________________________________
▪Did you find someone's post useful? Please grant + XP✔
▪Did someone's post solve your issue/answer your question? Please accept as solution✔

I do not work for EA, I'm a gamer trying to help fellow gamers. :eahigh_file:

Message 6 of 11 (6,810 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@el-nombre: No, I’m not sure, I just thought I’d seen it 😆
Message 7 of 11 (6,609 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Best thing, practice. You need to test out the drop for each gun and ad some height the further away you are. Head shots are your primary target area.

Always stay hidden, ie. Prone behind cover.

Message 8 of 11 (6,252 Views)

EA DICE Team

That is an amazing list @RanzigeRidder2, well done! :D 

All the Xp for you! 

/Atic 

Message 9 of 11 (6,128 Views)

★★★ Newbie

not everyone has to be a meat shield. you could be more helpful to your team by taking out enemies from a distance rather than running at the enemy and getting killed 10s of times. 

Message 10 of 11 (4,225 Views)