My experience so far

by Anonymous

Original Post

My experience so far

Anonymous

Level 5 - 759/950  (574 GDI - Sector 3, 185 NOD - Sector 1)

This is all going to be focused more on GDI since I haven't played NOD that much yet (playing to farm coins for training those units).

Riflemen - Max LV4, Missile Squad - Max LV5, Rhino - LV3 no training, Pitbull - LV4 no training, Predator Tank - LV5 no training, Wolverine - LV4 no training, Zone Trooper - LV5 no training, Sandstorm - LV5 no training.

Army Setup - Riflemen, Missile Squad, Rhino, Pitbull, Predator Tank, Zone Trooper, Dr. Liang

Riflemen appear to be on par with each other in an encounter so long as they arrive on opposing tiles at the same time. If not, it's usually the approaching unit that gets shredded in the end unless sent in pairs or with the Rhino.

Missile Units - oh, the Missile Units. Jesus christ these guys. With the exception of infantry-based anti-infantry (riflemen and I'll assume sniper teams since I haven't encountered them yet), these guys are a hard stop to any vehicle. Rhino? Missile Unit takes it out. Pitbull? Missile Unit takes it out. Rhino? Missile Unit takes it out. Talon? Missile Unit takes it out.

Multiple Talons? Just add one more Missile Unit for every two Talons. Wolverine? Two Missile Units. Titan? Two Missile Units. No idea on how they fair against the Mammoth Tank or Disruptor though. That being said, you can save resources using missile units over using a predator or pitbull.

Pitbull - Great for taking out Rhinos and harvesters, but about the best I've found for it.

Rhino - Great for Riflemen, but that's about it. Dunno how they fair against air units like Talons and such, since its easier to just use missile units imo.

Predator Tank - Great for Rhinos and Pitbulls, as well as stalling tech lab units.

Tech lab - rarely bother using or have need of using. Sandstorm's 50% damage per additional target is hell against someone trying to defend/push back a point with multiple units.

Message 1 of 7 (417 Views)

Re: My experience so far

★ Guide
Thanks for sharing this, always interesting to see how lower player level players are seeing the game these days.

I'm not going to comment on your experience with the game so instead let me give you some advice I wish I had gotten when I started playing. Always keep 3000 credits on you; you will want to unlock every unit and the store is one of the better ways to do so in the beginning, its far more important to unlock counters and expand your options than it is to rush unit levels. Second, Find an alliance full of good active people to join, donating units you don't care about is a great way to shore up your credits when you're just short of something you want, getting donations will help you level the things that are important to you faster than you'd otherwise be able to, and you can learn a lot about the game by sharing replays with other people.
Message 2 of 7 (394 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

one of the things to remember is that for each unit on the field, the next one takes exponentially longer to produce due to the game mechanics. Thus in higher tech scenarios, it won't be viable to run mass missiles like that. You will be dealing with two titans vs two missile squads, for example. It takes a long time for two missiles to actually kill a titan, while at the same time the other titan can go stomping into your harvesters and cripple you there. And finally there is mixed unit tactics and speed/micro plays. If you got something like rifles and a rhino, you can lead with the rifles, and have the rhino fire as well. If he changes target to the rhino, you run it back, giving the rifle squad free hits on the missiles which can't keep up. Also with Liang you're giving up the turret, which shreds missiles, so that's one less option.

Message 3 of 7 (380 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice
here's actually an example of missile (lazer) spam in Nod v Nod, it was hilarious at the end because he was probably just accepting the loss https://youtu.be/3sFVkVPgdug
Message 4 of 7 (369 Views)

Anonymous
@DaSud

Yeah, I've been in a few of those scenarios but only start producing tech lab units when they start using those units in a strategy. But the majority of the time you'll have players producing only vehicle or air units, even when they see that it just isn't working out after losing their harvester twice.

Sometimes if I'm confident in map control I'll purposely kill off some units to get a better unit out there. Doesn't always work out though since that involves letting the other player build up the nuke timer.

But its also interesting to watch when you start targeting their harvester and one or two points and they can't split their attention between them.
Message 5 of 7 (357 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

yeah the main thing about the nuke timer is it doesn't matter who builds it up, it only matters who is the most dominant right at the moment it goes off. You could have a harvester contesting a point and even it'd count. If you're holding 1 point and contesting two, it goes off for you, so a lot of people will use the early game to scout or harass harvesters so that they can have the right units at the time of the nuke turnover

just wait till you meet cyborgs, those things will make you glad that the rockets are as good as they are, at least till flame troopers and confessors come along lol

Message 6 of 7 (351 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

oh here's one I just had, it was nothing but nuke swing, the second nuke tension music was on repeat for over a minute: https://youtu.be/pO1AorS3IAo

Message 7 of 7 (346 Views)