Re: My complaints with this game...

by xrmiao4

Original Post

★★★ Apprentice

Welp continue struggling against tech then. You don't have to take it from me. I don't really care if you do. Like I said, there are many many other people who will tell you the same thing about tech as me. Just because you can't win against the combination doesn't mean it's a problem. If anything, there's nothing that says you can't use the combination yourself if you really think it's that impossible to deal with lol.

Message 21 of 34 (627 Views)

★★ Novice

The titan/zone combo is hard to defend, but you have to let your opponent get them... 120 tib for a tech lab, 120 tib for zones, 150 tib for titan. That takes a lot of time to put on the board. If you constantly have units on the nuke pads, your opponents will be forced to invest into combatting that. If you watch the top players, tech units are rare because they’re too expensive to get in the board. They’re supposed to be way better than regular units, the trick is that they cost a lot to get into play, and if you’re under pressure through the game it’s hard to put them out.

my feedback on the game, I’m liking it but there are a couple of really small control things which are annoying as hell.

1) a unit with the raider ability can’t be told to move to a place AND to attack a specific unit. Eg if I send a predator tank to a nuke pad with a riflemen and a pitbull, the tank will attack whichever unit it meets first. If I tell it to attack the pitbull, it may stop before it’s on the pad to attack. It’s really frustrating when you need to get a unit on the pad, but then it wastes its first shot on a stupid match up, or worse just sits there attacking something that makes no sense. There are two possible fixes I can think of here. First, if a raider unit has the “choice” of two units to attack, it should default to the one it has greatest combat strength against. If I move a tank to a tile with infantry and a pitbull next to it, there’s a good chance I want it to attack the pitbull. If I move a chem buggy to the same spot, I probably want it to attack the infantry. Second solution is that units should be able to be tasked to move and attack separately. Eg I can tell a tank to move to x tile and also to tell it to attack y unit, it will move to x tile and when it’s there it will attack y unit. On the way it might attack things it goes past, but when it reaches its destination, it attacks the unit you selected. If that unit moves away, it goes to the tile only (ie movement overrides attack command).

2) flying units should only contest pads if they are above an unoccupied tile. If I have 3 units occupying the whole pad, you shouldn’t be able to contest it by flying a unit repeatedly over them from one side to another. The unit can’t occupy any of those 3 tiles, so why should it count as contesting the pad?

3) with a unit cap “penalty” making it slower to build units the more you have on the board, you should be able to self destruct units. I’ve lost games because I found myself without a good anti air unit, and suddenly the opponent deploys something like a kodiak or basilisk and just goes straight for my base. You might say that’s good strategy, but if I don’t have the ability to just get rid of a unit then I think it’s not particularly fair. You’re penalized by losing a unit you’ve paid for, so it’s not like it’s unfair to the player on the other side...

Message 22 of 34 (621 Views)

★★★★ Guide

Mistarget always happened and people make use of it. For example moving predator and rifles towards MLRS at the same time but rifles runs faster so they wastes MLRS's shots and the predator kills it.

Message 23 of 34 (617 Views)

★★★★ Guide

@sonicstar87 

Good Points. 

Message 24 of 34 (613 Views)

★ Guide
@sonicstar87
Very nice. CnC did have an option where you could get rid of units that had no real use, if you had them deployed. This is something that should maybe implemented into the game.
Message 25 of 34 (580 Views)

★★★ Guide
I'm with you on #2 but the other ones are all part of the game ESPECIALLY #1! As for #3 specifically - this is a very very legitimate strategy. Consider the strategy of making boat loads of infantry and maybe a missile or two. Hunt their harvesters- try taking on their distrupter/flamer 2v1 with 10 tib infantry. Right - you keep going - maybe you don't even kill their guys - leave them at low health - target healthy ones. Maybe he gets 4.... 5?!... on the board. If you we just pumping 10 tib units - you could then - with 0 pop - bust out with a WHOLE bunch of air units (or whatever) and just make sure you don't kill a single flamers - or do - but then you now have 3-4 air units and they have nothing. Messing with the pop cap is a fantastic strategy.

As far as #2 - yeah - I do it too - but because it's part of the game and you do what you can to win. But I don't like it one bit. It's a) - cheap, b) - makes no sense, c) - isn't really defensible and if both sides are doing it, then you have this stupid game delay as helicopters do fly-bys... really? d) this game is about 'battlefield control' (EVA says it every game, no?)... flying over like that is not controlling anything.
Message 26 of 34 (578 Views)

★★ Novice

Yeah, fair enough I can see how those things can be considered part of the strategy of the game, but there’s still problems.

1) this means that raider is actually not an advantage for some units. If I have a pitbull, and I want it to attack a banshee, but it fires a rocket at some infantry, that’s just dumb. Like fair enough, use the infantry to suck up a rocket from the pit, but that’s exactly the problem - you can’t instruct the pitbull NOT to fire, and to only attack the banshee. Getting that first rocket can make a big difference. So considering the pitbull is meant to be the GDI war factory anti air unit, that’s a waste. It means the unit doesn’t do the job it’s primarily there for. If I tell it to move, it will attack anything close to it. If I tell it to attack specifically one unit, it will stop moving when it’s in range. If I tell it to move again, it reverts back to “attack anything nearby” - sometimes changing its target from the thing I’ve tasked it on. What’s the point? What’s the advantage?

3) I’d be fine with this if units were always on a level playing field. But if you consider a fairly standard shock/flame trooper infantry battle to start, if you’ve got units a level (or more) below your opponent, you generally have to bring greater numbers to win the battle. So you’re locked into a scenario of committing more pop cap space to win that battle. And because you have to pick your cards before the fight, you might be locked into that sort of a fight. It’s not that you have a weaker strategy, it’s simply that you’re out levelled. You’re not “out strategizing” your opponent if they end up with lots of weak units and no pop cap space and you bring out something that takes advantage of that. The game is about moves and counter moves. If I can terminate a unit, then I can play a counter unit, and the cost is that I lose that first unit and whatever tib it cost...

Message 27 of 34 (566 Views)

★★★★ Guide

haha I have such decks but I prefer hammerhead/phantom over kodiak/basilisk

Message 28 of 34 (552 Views)

★★★★ Guide

@infantyman9244 wrote:
Its the avatar=titan

So I finally came across an Avatar. And watched the replay. It’s only unlocked at level 60 and it costs 280 tib. 

And the GDI comparison is unlocked in the very early stages and is only 150 tib. Does anyone else see an issue with this? The Titan is CLEARLY too OP. 

Message 29 of 34 (509 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Basi and Confessor rip Titans and zones to shreds

Even though I'm way past using high tech units anymore.

Everything has a counter in this game

Also like to point out Avatar can shoot anything reason it cost more, same as the big tank on GDI.

But still a waste of resources

Message 30 of 34 (484 Views)